View Full Version : Need Help....Ring and Pinion Questions??

randytj
05-15-2012, 05:54 PM
I have a 98 SS, I believe it has a 3:42 rear end.
I want to change to a 4:10 rear end.

What do I need to look for.....what is the ring gear size, and I think I read something about two different - thinner or thicker ring gears??

I just want to make sure I buy the right thing.

Thanks for any advice.

therabidweasel
05-15-2012, 06:40 PM
should be 7.5/7.625. Most folks say motives or yukons are quietest, Richmond's are noisest. I recommend you read the stickys, do a lot of searching.

Are you doing this yourself?

Jr.Samples
05-15-2012, 07:00 PM
I put 4.10s in my 97 Formula. They are the Summit house brand. I set the backlash a little on the tight side. They whine on coast but not a real big deal.

SS SLP2
05-15-2012, 08:56 PM
correct 7.50 and 7.62 both will work for you

"...something about two different - thinner or thicker ring gears??"

you need a thin ring, if your SS had came with a 2.73 gear in this case you would need a thick ring
I do not think any SS came with 2.73 gear ( series 2)
Johnny

randytj
05-16-2012, 06:58 AM
correct 7.50 and 7.62 both will work for you

"...something about two different - thinner or thicker ring gears??"

you need a thin ring, if your SS had came with a 2.73 gear in this case you would need a thick ring
I do not think any SS came with 2.73 gear ( series 2)
Johnny

I have a 3:42 rear end......I guess I need series 3 thin ring.

Ethan[ws6]
05-16-2012, 08:04 AM
should be 7.5/7.625. Most folks say motives or yukons are quietest, Richmond's are noisest. I recommend you read the stickys, do a lot of searching.

Brand does not indicate whether a gear set will whine or not. If set up properly it will be quiet no matter what the brand is. I have set up several richmond gear sets and never had a single one whine.

randytj
05-16-2012, 11:20 AM

Originally I was going to try it myself, now I am leaning toward having a friend who has a shop do it for me.

Jr.Samples
05-16-2012, 11:23 AM
;16317865']Brand does not indicate whether a gear set will whine or not. If set up properly it will be quiet no matter what the brand is. I have set up several richmond gear sets and never had a single one whine.

Shelbyville? Used to live out that way. I don't agree totally with your statement. Yes you are correct saying a correctly set up gear according to the specs on the R/P will produce minimal whine but that is not the only factor.

The way a manufacture cuts the gears is huge. Factory is cut for no whine but some aftermarket gears are cut a little straighter for strength and will produce more whine,

What is the difference between a muncie M21/M20 and a M22 trans? M22 is much stronger and whines like a bitch! Inspect the gears and you will know what I am talking about.

Wish I still lived in Greenwood. Oh well.

01ssreda4
05-17-2012, 10:24 PM
Motive GM75410 is the part number you need.

Ethan[ws6]
05-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Shelbyville? Used to live out that way. I don't agree totally with your statement. Yes you are correct saying a correctly set up gear according to the specs on the R/P will produce minimal whine but that is not the only factor.

The way a manufacture cuts the gears is huge. Factory is cut for no whine but some aftermarket gears are cut a little straighter for strength and will produce more whine,

What is the difference between a muncie M21/M20 and a M22 trans? M22 is much stronger and whines like a bitch! Inspect the gears and you will know what I am talking about.

Wish I still lived in Greenwood. Oh well.

You can set up any gear set to accommodate for shitty manufacturing. Like I said, I've set up a ton of 10/12bolts and 9" and have never once had a set whine. I've used a handfull of different gear set manufacturers also.