Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy an 02 z28...need input

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Looking to buy an 02 z28...need input

I'm not very active on this site but im an active member on performance trucks and silveradoss.com and I'm in need of some help. I recently paid off my 04 SSS and I'm in the market for something to use as a dd since my truck isnt so friendly on gas or street manners anymore. I found an 02 z28 SOM close to me that I'm very interested in. Visually it is in immaculate shape inside and out but it does have 146k miles on it. Only mods are a gmmg exhaust and several bmr suspension products, everything else is bone stock. Is there anything I should look for or expect from the car before purchasing it? I don't want to run into any hidden problems after i get it home. All input and advice is greatly appreciated. I hope to become and active member of this site if I end up with this car. I'm very familiar with LS motors in general but this will be my first f body so I'm a noob in that area. Thanks in advance!

Zach

Here's a pic of the car for reference
Old 05-15-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

Almost forgot, it also supposedly has an ls7 clutch but nothing I can really do to verify that before purchase, lol.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

These cars are pretty solid, there aren't many serious things that are prone to break in them. Even though it has 146k that motor still has life left in it if it's been maintained properly and judging by the way the car looks, I'm assuming it has been.

However, some of the really common stuff that goes wrong with these cars would be the window motors, T-top seals, rear end issues, I would definitely make sure there are no leaks back there. Other than that, I would just look it over like a normal car, check the fluids, make sure it doesn't smoke under acceleration, etc., etc.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks like a nice car but dont expect good gas mileage in the city. I get 17mpg tops if im easy on the gas the whole tank. but like ^^^ said the motors are strong and hold together well and are pretty easy to work on except for that #8 spark plug. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
Looks like a nice car but dont expect good gas mileage in the city. I get 17mpg tops if im easy on the gas the whole tank. but like ^^^ said the motors are strong and hold together well and are pretty easy to work on except for that #8 spark plug. Good luck.
I would be more than happy with 17mpg in the city! My truck averages about 10-12 in the city and 15-16 highway so I'll take whatever I can get! But then again I didn't buy or mod my truck expecting good gas mileage.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

146k is nothing, its just getting broken in lol. But really there is nothing that is a major problem with them when they get high mileage. Like the others said the window motors, t top seals, etc but nothing really major goes out if the vehicle was properly maintained. I would say if the price is right and you like it go for it.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

IMO if u can obtain a Mechanics stethoscope, and poke around the motor while its running, is 1 of the things ive done, if its an A4, check the stick, M6 check the clutch, listen for noises, Carfax...yada yada.leaks, smoke..
Old 05-15-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

Well it is being sold by a private dealer and he has been driving the car since he purchased it as his personal vehicle. He was told by the previous owner who had done all the suspension work that they had also installed an LS7 clutch. And by A4 and M6...if you read the first post im an f body noob, I have NO idea what those are or mean. Im sure I can find the differences on here if I poke around a bit, which is what I'm about to do now that Im on an actual computer and not posting from my phone. Thanks fellas
Old 05-15-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

Also if i do end up getting the car, anyone interested in some flat black torque thrusts? not a huge fan of flat black wheels myself. I have a set of spare C5 z06 wheels that I might try on it to see how they look...
Old 05-15-2012, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A4 is an automatic trans, M6 is a manual trans.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gillbot
A4 is an automatic trans, M6 is a manual trans.
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification! I thought I mentioned in the first post that it's a six speed car. Now that you say that I understand a4 and m6. Thanks again!
Old 05-16-2012, 02:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would check the carfax, make sure the heads have the #241 on them and make sure it has an ls6 intake on it..

I had a buddy buy an 01 camaro ss and it had an ls1 intake on it with the egr plugged up..

you can search "help identify ls6 intake" and theres alot of threads with pics and serial numbers..

you can pm me and i can text you everything you need to know about what to ask and look for, I bought my 98 Camaro from a guy who said all it had was the k&n intake.. but after poking around after i got it, it had an Underdrive pulley, ARP crank bolt, a small stall converter.

these cars are getting older and its hard to find a "stock" one, and if it is stock lets make sure..
Old 05-16-2012, 02:27 AM
TECH Addict

PS try and post of multiple pics of the engine bay, I think most of us on this website can critique it and give you a pretty good idea about it..
Old 05-16-2012, 08:03 AM
TECH Resident

Here are all the pics he sent me of the engine bay. He did make it a point to tell me that the 01-02 cars had the ls6 intake and no egr from the factory so the guy knows more about it than me apparently, I would have had no idea had he not told me, lol.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

That looks really clean!! Heads are 241 good, ls6 intake.. I see alot of the lines are stock so it seems to be good.

Just listen for noisy lifters, my car had 114,000 miles and after i got it I drove for a couple thousand and I broke a rocker and bent a pushrod..
Old 05-16-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zachm89
Also if i do end up getting the car, anyone interested in some flat black torque thrusts? not a huge fan of flat black wheels myself. I have a set of spare C5 z06 wheels that I might try on it to see how they look...
I'll save you the trouble.....they'll look like crap.

OR, you can just check the wheel/tire section on this board...about ever 3rd Camaro here is running C5 Z's, or it least it SEEMS that way.

The wheels that are on there are way better (at least IMHO). You could always have the centers powdercoated a different color....gunmetal would prob look good.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Kinda what I figured but thought id give it a shot. I don't hate the style of the wheels on the car at all, just not the flat black. Gloss black or a cyber grey metallic would look killer though. I got some bad news earlier though, guy called and said he had someone coming to buy the car tonight so hopefully it falls through because I can't get to him until Friday :/ everyone keep your fingers crossed for me! I really want this car
Old 05-16-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Asking price on car??

Nice silver or gunmetal wheels, new headlights and black corners, it would look amazing.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
Asking price on car??

Nice silver or gunmetal wheels, new headlights and black corners, it would look amazing.
Asking price was 7000, got him down to 6500 which I think is fair. Just hope he doesnt sell it before I can get there! Still waiting on a phone call from him telling me it didnt sell. Ill be on my way to pick it up tomorrow if i dont get off work too late.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

Well, back to the drawing board...just got the call that he sold the car tonight. I doubt I'll be finding another one like it any time soon.