Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chirping noise from Tensioner Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chirping noise from Tensioner Pulley

In the morning the chirping noise is really bad. As i'm going to work 5-10mins it gets a little softer but I can still here it. I already changed out my belt, tensioner, and pulley on the tensioner but still chirps. I noticed the TSB for it but dont want to spend 100 dollars if I dont need to. Is that what I need to do in order to fix this problem. Has anyone else done this to get rid of the chirp. I why in the hell should we pay for it when GM knows it was an engineering problem. I have put wd40 on the belts but dosent make it go away. Help please.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

just leave it dude. it's not that big of a deal, and definitely not worth the hassle and the money, and especially both combined. the engine doesn't run any different with or without it. just crank the music up and drive on
Old 03-29-2004, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Probably the alternator front bearing.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

I have the same problem, i've just been ignoring it for a while. Plus I can't really hear it anymore since I put the ORY and 2 cutouts. But i'd still want to know how to fix the problems because its just in the back of my mind. Putting a new belt softened the noise a little though. I'll be checking this thread to see if I could find out a little more also.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:34 AM
Teching In

Your prob may not be the tensioner but the alt is right next to it and when the alt goes into high charge it slips and cherps the best way to check this to unplug the alt if no chrp your belt is not tight enough or it is to long and the tensoiner can't take up the slack and your belt is a little loose even tho it feels tight.
try this
Old 04-08-2004, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

theres a new tensioner,alt. bracket and belt that fixes this problem as you know.

i couldnt take it.it sounds horrible.i had this fixed under warranty and theres been no noise since.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people say it's the belt. I believe in some cases it's true. Mine chirped bad, I was going to take it in under warranty. But I installed an ASP pulley and a new belt of course, and the chirping left forever.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

Just a little off your topic here. I'm having the same problem with the 93 3.4 I own as an everyday car. The belt squeals horribly upon startup, goes away, then squeals really loud again when I get on the gas. I've replaced the belt a couple of times already, sprayed it with belt dressing, but the car keeps eating them up. I have a dusting of rubber shavings all over my engine compartment. Any ideas or suggestions on how to fix this??? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Chirping noise from Tensioner Pulley