Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

I purchased a Spohn driveshaft and this is what happens!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default I purchased a Spohn driveshaft and this is what happens!

Well fellas here is what happens when using a Spohn, I contacted them and I told them what happened and I sent the pictures you see below and the you'll see their response. I ordered this d/s through the ws6store and as you can see I ordered the one that applies to me. Spohn's defense is you should of measured and that strapping a car on the dyno causes "stress" well no kidding but more that being on a street? Really? Well then if I have to measure why would you sell your d/s like this? This is what kills me,
It's not the vendors fault but why would Spohn advertise like this?

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...g/driveshafts/

http://www.lmperformance.com/78229/1.html

Just an example

If you still have to measure?! I also called PST and strange this morning and they said they DO NOT make theirs shorter! They both said they make it to exact sizes that you order. Now I'm out a Trans with no days off because of these NATO clowns and All cops have to be on the streets or close by! All I wanted was to have my car ready by memorial day weekend to celebrate it with my family!
What do you guys think?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the email from Spohn
From tech@spohn.net

The output shaft on your transmission broke, it's actually a very common occurence when strapped down to a chassis dyno. A chassis dyno places a lot of stress on the drivetrain.
The output shaft on your transmission broke, it's actually a very common occurence when strapped down to a chassis dyno. A chassis dyno places a lot of stress on the drivetrain.

It had nothing to do with your driveshaft. The driveshaft is exactly as it should be from your pictures. They are supposed to be a bit shorter than the factory driveshaft, you need a little more slip yoke travel for high performance applications. This is how we have built them for 13 years and how any performance driveshaft company builds them. With that said it is always the installer's responsibility when installing any driveshaft on any car to check for proper engagement, etc. before driving the vehicle.

It was just a matter of the stress the chassis dyno put on your transmission, it happens unfortunately.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the pics:

Last edited by litle88; 05-19-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:11 PM
12 Second Club

Obviously the ds is way too short to me at least and to the guys at Straightline ---->
Sponsors and in business for years!

Last edited by litle88; 05-18-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wouldnt you need a longer driveshaft if you have a 9"
Old 05-18-2012, 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

Not sure when I ordered it from ws6store it said to check the box if I have an aftermarket rear and I use 1350 ujoints which I do and I did.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got a tailhousing if your interested...
Old 05-18-2012, 05:45 PM
12 Second Club

if you checked aftermarket rear then that sounds like a ordering issue that they got wrong. Do you have your receipt still. thats a shitty situation, hope you get it resolved
Old 05-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Teching In

I wonder if the tailshaft bushing walked outa the trans, do you have a adjustable torque arm, was the pinion angle right as it looks like it was a vibration causing that. Sure is a shame
Old 05-18-2012, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

It was all good and checked at Straightline, and if you read their email according to them that's the correct shaft! Can't believe this company

Last edited by litle88; 05-18-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

A nine inch really needs a one inch longer driveshaft that what a 10 bolt and 12 bolt requires. Check out the x dimension on the diagram at this link. http://shop.brutespeed.com/PST-DRA35...-PST-DRA35.htm
45.25 is the dimension we use for 9" rears. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-19-2012, 08:42 AM
12 Second Club

Thank you Bob that means a lot!
As soon as I get my trans gets repaired and I send this d/s back I will be calling you sir!

I just hope others like me see this so they don't hop on a vendors site and order a d/s thinking its the correct size, because it won't.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Sorry buddy but the 3/4 less engagement didn't break your output shaft. I agree with Spohn in this case.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:59 AM
12 Second Club

Ok then what happened?
Or what could of the possibilities been? I mean all Mike the tuner was doing was setting up fuel tables on the Dyno and it never even made it past 4k rpm, there was no hp pulls yet or nothing!
Talk to me
Old 05-19-2012, 09:05 AM
12 Second Club

In the third picture you can see that the rear seal is barely running at the tip of the shaft! Is that normal? Can it be that close to the end? Now look at the stock one on the right, doesn't that look better? Just saying cause I want to learn.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Was there any vibration? An out-of-balance driveshaft could be a possibility of breaking the output shaft.

How did the splines look on the shaft and yoke? Too little engagement likely would have just stripped out the splines on one or both pieces.

I think you just simply had an output shaft failure. Be sure to inspect it good for stress signs at the yoke when you get that trans torn apart, although I doubt there will be any. It happens and yes it sucks! I had a T400 break an output shaft in a plow truck, blade up and minimal acceleration. Snapped at maybe 5 mph.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:22 AM
12 Second Club

Yes lots of vibration and then it let go all of a sudden 15-20 minutes after getting going.

The d/s was supposed to be balanced, I guess they need to be checked before bolting it up too hu? Lol because I wanna cry.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What was the torque arm angle?

The first and second picture posted above, is that indicative of how far the driveshaft was slid into the output shaft and ran? Or is that just the aftermath and pulled out to show the seal broken etc?

When I swapped my bigger yoke onto my new PST driveshaft we didn't get the bearing caps perfectly centered and it made quite a bit vibration even though it was just about perfect. The driveshaft looked like it was oblong when under throttle but it was the bearing caps that made it un-centered. We took them off and re-centered and everything was perfect after that.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:25 AM
12 Second Club

Not sure the exact measurement but I had asked Straightline and they said it was ok.

The pictures are the aftermath and my deal and everything else broken.

The driveshaft was shipped with the Trans yoke already on. All I supposedly had to do was slip it in and bolt it down.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Launching!

It clearly shows in pic #3 that the d/s are the same length, pics #3/4 show slip yokes are not. You had some doubt about slip shaft engagement when you asked about seal running close to the end. Then you ran the car 15-20 min with a bad vibration, come on now!!! I feel for ya bro but your blame is misplaced. I have alot of spohn susp parts on my car with no complaints at all. Will probably use their d/s when I upgrade from stock. Good luck and hope everything turns out OK! Larry
Old 05-19-2012, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cra-Z Larry
It clearly shows in pic #3 that the d/s are the same length, pics #3/4 show slip yokes are not. You had some doubt about slip shaft engagement when you asked about seal running close to the end. Then you ran the car 15-20 min with a bad vibration, come on now!!! I feel for ya bro but your blame is misplaced. I have alot of spohn susp parts on my car with no complaints at all. Will probably use their d/s when I upgrade from stock. Good luck and hope everything turns out OK! Larry
Yea I see that now, I did not know it was that short til after it broke! So I had no idea it was going to run that short. I don't get your reasoning. I ordered a d/s like anyone else does from one of the links above and ran it. It doesn't say to measure anyways or measure before ordering, does it? NO.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

The 3/4 of an inch less engagement doesn't break output shafts (unless you were already borderline which you wouldn't be on a stock shaft). Whatever the vibration was probably did.

Quick Reply: I purchased a Spohn driveshaft and this is what happens!