Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

funny starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down funny starting problem

The last few days 1 out of 10 times when i start my car, it will just crank and crank. Its never done this before and happened right after I installed USA spec ipod player for my radio.
After about 25seconds of cranking it will finally start and will run great. I also have a SLP traction control box and when all before this happened, the traction control should remain OFF due to the box and its always worked great until this week. Now it goes on and off randomly. Im not sure what all is going on.

The one time it was cranking and not starting, i switched the crank relay with a spare one i had, and then it started right up. Not sure if it was coincidental or if thats the problem (this morning i did that)

Any ideas on why all these bugs are coming up? And feel free to move this to a different section? i didnt know where to put it
Old 05-20-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the grounds on the new stuff to start out
Old 05-20-2012, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

The crank relay didnt fix it, as the problem just happened when i moved it inside tonight. Doesnt matter if its warm or hot (motor temp wise)

Grounds for the Ipod connector is all in the radio itself? you dont have to add any other grounds or drilling. its all plug and play. the SLP thing, worked from the getgo and doesnt have any grounds either..

Fuel pump primes not sure what kind of pressure, but doesnt seem to really be the issue. Ignition system is all fairly new as well..

Any other options?
Old 05-20-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe cam or crank sensor going out at just the exact same time? I hate buying parts and blindly throwing them at a problem.....do you have a friend that has a car like yours that you could swap the sensors with to test it?
Old 05-20-2012, 09:41 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,368 Likes on 2,085 Posts

My brother has an 04' suburban that had the same problem. We chased it down to a faulty fuel gauge. The gauge wouldn't go all the way to empty. It would stop at just below an 1/8 of a tank. It would practically be out of gas when doing what your describing, but eventually start. Might not be your issue, but I thought I'd share.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Mark- my brother has a 00 trans am. if those sensors are the same then we can swap.

Iforgot to mention, it actually died on me once driving down the road. All engine power shut down but still had the radio on and such.

I just put 30 bucks of high octane in it thinking it could be bad gas.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

took the car back out today for the week and it started right up, went to the store, got in and wouldnt start. Battery practically died and on the last crank, it fired up. rpms were way low..

Anyone else? not sure what to even look at. the ground were fine on the components i hooked up.. i didnt change the sensors yet..