Sponsored by:

Popped head bolt holes.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Popped head bolt holes.

Hi All,

I found this while pulling down my recently acquired (almost) freebie 5.7 motor. Head bolts into the crankcase on #1 & #8 are busted out at the base just above the cam journal bore. Doesn't appear it'll be a problem, right?

The guy I got it from said it had low compression in at least one hole, but I have found no indication of anything that would cause a compression problem. I plan on having the block and heads pressure tested soon...
Attached Thumbnails Popped head bolt holes.-100_2118.jpg   Popped head bolt holes.-100_2119.jpg  
Old 05-20-2012, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hard to say. It could be fine, maybe not. Does that goe into the water jacket? I would think you could do something like drill all the way through to relieve stress or maybe welded...Ask the machine shop BEFORE yuo do any work to it.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:06 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

The block is scrap. SORRY!
Old 05-20-2012, 11:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch!!!! New table stand?
Old 05-21-2012, 05:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Ouch!!!! New table stand?
Or a killer anchor if you have a boat!!

IMHO for the price to get it fixed, if you even can idk.. you could buy a good used block for 2-300..

Im not an expert on machining so I don't know if you could for sure fix it, but I do know I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that. peace of mind is worth tons of $$$$
Old 05-21-2012, 05:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
Hard to say. It could be fine, maybe not. Does that goe into the water jacket? I would think you could do something like drill all the way through to relieve stress or maybe welded...Ask the machine shop BEFORE yuo do any work to it.
Gotta agree here. I would be more worried whether it affects a water jacket. If All checks out i would look at drilling it all the way through and tap what is left, thread in a new piece of bolt leaving a bit exposed and welding the cast iron to it.

Alot of labor involved but it might be worth your time to save a defective cast depending on how much you got it for, if no water jacket is in question, and all of the cylinders pressure check to the gentlemen's story.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thread sealer on the bolts and run it. SBC and BBC head bolts have never been blind drilled. That's the way yours is now. The previous owner didn't clean the holes good before putting the heads on. The head bolts don't go into a water jacket.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:28 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

This engine block is compromised in a high stress area-twice. Using a ton of sealant might provide a short term seal fix but you'll probably pull the rest of the threads out during head bolt installation. If you're lucky enough to not, the threads might pull during heat/cool cycles as everything expands and contracts.

Blocks are easy enough to find for a couple hundred bucks, why fool around with a broken block?

Do it right the first time or don't do it. You'll sleep better.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it pressure tests OK, run it.

Previous owner had head bolts/studs installed with junk in the holes (probably coolant) causing the hole to hydrolock and blowing out at the bottom. There is a chance the cracks also run up the boss and into the waterjacket.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Junkie

I was able to shine a light from the cam tunnel and look into the affected bolt holes. The threads are in no way compromised, nor does the water jacket appear to be broached. The hydraulic force just pushed out a small corner of casting below the threads and off to the side, as I can see the intact drill bit tooling at the base of the hole.

My plan was to freshen up this shortblock and resell it, but not sure I'd want the potential headaches involved in dealing with it...
Old 05-21-2012, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
This engine block is compromised in a high stress area-twice. Using a ton of sealant might provide a short term seal fix but you'll probably pull the rest of the threads out during head bolt installation. If you're lucky enough to not, the threads might pull during heat/cool cycles as everything expands and contracts.

Blocks are easy enough to find for a couple hundred bucks, why fool around with a broken block?

Do it right the first time or don't do it. You'll sleep better.

I disagree, If anything there are cracks that will spread. The threads will not pull out from being all the way through like that. Like mentioned traditional SBC is like that already.

It can be checked for cracks along with a pressure check. Shouldnt be an issue if all that checks out.

OP, was the previous owner run this as is without issue?

Man! Looking at it again...I bet it can easily be welded!
Old 05-21-2012, 09:21 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I disagree....

....Man! Looking at it again...I bet it can easily be welded!
That's cool. As this block is up for sale, buy it, build it up and let us all know how it works out.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

That's cool. As this block is up for sale, buy it, build it up and let us all know how it works out.
I didnt see it in the Swap section. Why do you think its junk? What do you think could possibly happen even though it pressure checks and the holes are repaired?

Because the block is aluminum, it has more repair potential.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:01 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

From above:

Originally Posted by S10xGN
My plan was to freshen up this shortblock and resell it, but not sure I'd want the potential headaches involved in dealing with it...
Old 05-22-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Junkie

I disagree, If anything there are cracks that will spread. The threads will not pull out from being all the way through like that. Like mentioned traditional SBC is like that already.

It can be checked for cracks along with a pressure check. Shouldnt be an issue if all that checks out.

OP, was the previous owner run this as is without issue?

Man! Looking at it again...I bet it can easily be welded!
He had issues that were disclosed, but nothing that would be related to these bolt holes. Low compression in one hole (couldn't remember which) and trash in the oil pan & filter which he bagged and passed on to me. It's mostly plastic junk from a smashed valve seal. The cylinder walls are fine and the bearings were only showing minor signs of particle embedding. Crank journals and oil pump internals were A-OK.

From above:
My point was that getting someone to "feel OK" about these bolt holes may be more trouble than the $$$ I would gain by selling it. It would be easier to sell a shortblock than to part it out, at least around here where there's very little LS activity...
Old 05-22-2012, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

If the water jackets aren't compromised, put some pipe dope on the bolts and you will be fine.Use compressed air to see if air blows in to the valley or the water jackets. I do know of a guy the repaired a water jacket with JB weld and it worked fine.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

s10xgn, diggin the mav dude!
Old 05-24-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
He had issues that were disclosed, but nothing that would be related to these bolt holes. Low compression in one hole (couldn't remember which) and trash in the oil pan & filter which he bagged and passed on to me. It's mostly plastic junk from a smashed valve seal. The cylinder walls are fine and the bearings were only showing minor signs of particle embedding. Crank journals and oil pump internals were A-OK.

My point was that getting someone to "feel OK" about these bolt holes may be more trouble than the $$$ I would gain by selling it. It would be easier to sell a shortblock than to part it out, at least around here where there's very little LS activity...
Russ,
If you decide you want to sell that block, pm me. I might be interested in it.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Wow. Just wow.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Wow. Just wow.
You should quote a post when you make a comment. That way we have reference to what it's about...

Quick Reply: Popped head bolt holes.