New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech - ..What mod to choose first!?...

View Full Version : ..What mod to choose first!?...

tylerstransam
05-20-2012, 11:16 PM
I'm new on the forum, and i own a 2002 Trans Am Ws6. It is black in color with a t-56 6 speed manual trans. It also has ONLY 57,500 MILES!! :D I have been sitting around, cleaning it everyday and i have ultimatly decided to go ahead a start moding it. I was wondering what MOD i should do first? OPINIONS ARE REQUESTED!! What do you guys suggest i should start with? My ultimate goal is 425-475hp!! (at least 425 but flexible a little past 475) I'm open to any kind of mod! Forced Induction or even Head and Cam work.... Ready... Set... COMMENT!! :D :D :google::usa::search:

djsanchez2
05-20-2012, 11:21 PM
A beefier rearend..... Modded LS1's are hell on the stock 10bolt, esp. with a T56 if you plan on running any sort of sticky tire.

9"
12 Bolt
Dana 60

After that i would say a cam, nitrous and a clutch. You will not be sorry.

AronZ28
05-20-2012, 11:22 PM
Get a cat-back exhaust if its bone stock, and a lid. You'll pick up 10-15rwhp with those two mods alone.

Also, what is your budget here??? Best advice I can give is read, read, read, and read some more. The search button is your friend, if you have a question, search first as its most likely been asked a bunch of times.

AronZ28
05-20-2012, 11:25 PM
A new rearend..... Modded LS1's are hell on the stock 10bolt.

9"
12 Bolt
Dana 60

Man, I'm a fan of beating on the 10 bolt until you break it. Some guys get lucky and run 500rwhp combos through it without fuss, others blow it up on the street with a 3000rpm clutch dump on stock power. Really its kind of luck of the draw as to how durable it is when you start making 50+ more rwhp than stock.

justin455
05-20-2012, 11:26 PM
I'm new on the forum, and i own a 2002 Trans Am Ws6. It is black in color with a t-56 6 speed manual trans. It also has ONLY 57,500 MILES!! :D I have been sitting around, cleaning it everyday and i have ultimatly decided to go ahead a start moding it. I was wondering what MOD i should do first? OPINIONS ARE REQUESTED!! What do you guys suggest i should start with? My ultimate goal is 425-475hp!! (at least 425 but flexible a little past 475) I'm open to any kind of mod! Forced Induction or even Head and Cam work.... Ready... Set... COMMENT!! :D :D :google::usa::search:

Other sections of this website. I do believe there's even a whole thread titled "So you wanna be fast?"

djsanchez2
05-20-2012, 11:55 PM
I went through 3 of them in my auto Z-28, only mods being Lid, shorty headers and a nitto DR. All covered under warranty thankfully. :D

tylerstransam
05-21-2012, 12:40 AM
Well here is my basis... I am in freaking LOVE with this car and will probably(hopefully) keep it forever! so money isn't the most nittygritty! As for it goes with POWER made.. I just want to be over 400.. 425-475 is just a sweet spot, i know the t-56 isn't know to be strong but i figure DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT, and DRIVE IT TIL IT BREAKS! right?! Well i like the ideas so far! I am going to read the "So you want to be fast" soon here. i am going to be running a set of 19x9.5 in. RPM 505's for the rear and 18x9" for the front if that has an impact on anybody's decision. I am thinking LONG term... 2-5 years! I'm also 17 years old so college budget might also play a roll in the modification on my car. it is also my daily driver.. Drivability=not a big deal....

Catmaigne
05-21-2012, 01:52 AM
The trans can take a beating, but the rear definitely won't. Replace your 10 bolt with a 9", 12 bolt, or [if you're handy with a welder and can fab something yourself] an 8.8".

tylerstransam
05-21-2012, 02:05 AM
I know MANY close friends with YEARS AND YEARS of experience!, And I'm not afraid to try anything so I am kind of liking that fabrication idea! I'm loving the creativity!

ULTIMATEORANGESS
05-21-2012, 05:20 AM
if your goal is 400rwhp youll need full boltons and a cam. a tune will be necessary. have fun.

AmDWs6
05-21-2012, 06:44 AM
if it's bone stock,
fix your induction and out-duction, what i mean by that is first help the car breath better it will help any other mods you go ahead with.
i know a friend of mine that has a precision turbo installed on his stock 01'maro, im not sure about his lid and exhaust.
he also replaced his clutch.
with that turbo alone he's close to 500 hp :)
stock differential.
there are tons of ways to reach your goal but you have to find which one will suit your current needs and your future plans, it's a hard combo.

mjs1012
05-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Lid/cat back/frost tune. Should be good for a little while.

brendo389
05-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Well here is my basis... I am in freaking LOVE with this car and will probably(hopefully) keep it forever! so money isn't the most nittygritty! As for it goes with POWER made.. I just want to be over 400.. 425-475 is just a sweet spot, i know the t-56 isn't know to be strong but i figure DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT, and DRIVE IT TIL IT BREAKS! right?! Well i like the ideas so far! I am going to read the "So you want to be fast" soon here. i am going to be running a set of 19x9.5 in. RPM 505's for the rear and 18x9" for the front if that has an impact on anybody's decision. I am thinking LONG term... 2-5 years! I'm also 17 years old so college budget might also play a roll in the modification on my car. it is also my daily driver.. Drivability=not a big deal....

Catback, free mods (lid, throttle body, egr, etc), y pipe and LT's, rear end. Good basis to make more power on, and reliable. Power is good and all, but trust me, you don't want to have the car sitting in the garage for months because you blew out the rear end. Keep in mind labor isn't cheap as well, so unless you're very good at working with cars, and have a lift for some of the mods, these long term goals aren't going to come within 2 years, try 3-5 years.

thatoneguybriz
05-21-2012, 11:50 AM
I can only speak as a new f-body owner myself but I really enjoyed being able to hear my car a bit more after the dynomax bullet install. As they say the gateway mods seem to be an lid and exhaust.

tylerstransam
05-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Yes my friend has a shop and we throw his brothers corvette up on the lift everyonce in a while when he wanted different exhaust, and head/cam work done. Also building up a friends 1971 Ford F-150 454 4-speed. So i have the people, materials, and experience between family members and friends an such. And yeah i will own this car for ever so if its 10 years even i don't really care.. Because driving it completely stock is pretty FREAKING AMAZING!!!!! LOL AND as far as a rear end, where to do i find a reasonably priced one? TSP has them but DAYUM!! $2300 minimun... slap my ass and call me sally

Charlie Hustle
05-22-2012, 05:24 PM
Yes my friend has a shop and we throw his brothers corvette up on the lift everyonce in a while when he wanted different exhaust, and head/cam work done. Also building up a friends 1971 Ford F-150 454 4-speed. So i have the people, materials, and experience between family members and friends an such. And yeah i will own this car for ever so if its 10 years even i don't really care.. Because driving it completely stock is pretty FREAKING AMAZING!!!!! LOL AND as far as a rear end, where to do i find a reasonably priced one? TSP has them but DAYUM!! $2300 minimun... slap my ass and call me sally

LMAO. Gotta pay to play, buckaroo!

Roarin_8
05-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Rear ends are gonna cost but they are a necessity with M6s, get it now to save your rear later :)

BigBadVoodoo Daddy
05-22-2012, 05:49 PM
I paid $2600 for my 9" from bob at brute speed and he has some great prices buddy. U will hear u gotta pay to play a lot cause it's true. Do it right do it once and forget about it. I personally wouldn't do it until it breaks but all the while I'd start saving money for when it does. A t56 equals broken stock rear. It's not if but when!

thatoneguybriz
05-23-2012, 12:45 AM
How fast do you want to spend...?

Bob@BruteSpeed
05-23-2012, 06:10 AM
I paid $2600 for my 9" from bob at brute speed and he has some great prices buddy. U will hear u gotta pay to play a lot cause it's true. Do it right do it once and forget about it. I personally wouldn't do it until it breaks but all the while I'd start saving money for when it does. A t56 equals broken stock rear. It's not if but when!

Thanks, I appreciate it! Bob

wicked383lt1
05-23-2012, 08:05 AM
This helped me alot when I started to mod up...http://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/361959-so-you-wanna-fast.html

I8UR4RD
05-23-2012, 10:55 PM
get your suspension out of the way. Call MWC and start making your payments. by the time you get done paying for it they should be about done custom fabbing the most badass rearend of all time along with full suspension. after that a tick master cylinder, and a decent cam package and bolt ons. that should get you into the low 7's easy with good shifts in the 1/8

tylerstransam
12-04-2012, 02:11 PM
You guys seem to have brilliant advice. I read "So you wanna be fast!" that was a really interesting topic. Sorry its been awhile since my last post but after 2 months of owning the car i needed tires! >:D haha but no big deal. I decided to just put tires on, drive it and save up some $$$. I have right at $2000 saved up and waiting for the day to blow it all! :D I'm thinking Lid, TSP stainless Steel 1 3/4" LT's, TSP True Duals, initially. THat should my "New Years" plan. Don't know where to go from there through....
Should i put anything into intake other than lid? i have heard the stock MAF and Ls6 intake should be good for what i want..

tylerstransam
12-04-2012, 02:13 PM
I have been trying to sell the car recently just to possibly trade for a 98-02 camaro or trans am because i don't want to mod this beautiful car, but if i don't get it sold i guess thats the route i'll take. Head and Cam package late spring!

codyvette
12-04-2012, 03:00 PM
I have been trying to sell the car recently just to possibly trade for a 98-02 camaro or trans am because i don't want to mod this beautiful car, but if i don't get it sold i guess thats the route i'll take. Head and Cam package late spring!
If you don't, someone else will, and if its local it will suck when it blows your doors off.

smg267
12-04-2012, 04:10 PM
I would do a either a cat-back or cutout, lid, and a set of sway bars. Everyone always skimps on the suspension. I did my sway bars after owning the car for 6 years and wish I did them first. Check the classifieds and local sections for good deals. I always sell stuff cheap!

LopeyZ
12-04-2012, 10:20 PM
I went through your same ordeal when I was 18... about 12 years ago... damn I can't believe it's been that long! Anyway, the most worthwhile mods I have listed below in order of importance.

New shifter like a Pro 5.0
Lowering springs to kill that 4x4 look
Cold air kit or lid
LT headers WITH CATS and nice catback.. forget the true dual bull
heads and small street cam

I ranked the top performance mods last because they only caused more trouble than they were worth. Small cam means less cam surge, better fuel economy and more fun to drive. Nice thing about the LS1 is that you can bolt on LS6 heads, LS6 cam with full bolt-ons and make close to 400 rwhp which is a solid 12 second street car.

slikrider20
12-04-2012, 10:36 PM
With 2,000 bucks you could get your LT's, true duals, and a cam with supporting mods. But then you'd have to start upgrading other stuff (rear end, suspension parts, clutch, tires, etc)

It's a never ending battle. Once you upgrade one thing you have to upgrade another to handle it. Modding has a domino effect. In the mean time at least get a cutout and a lid. You could find both of those for 70$ or so used.