LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Is this a transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 02:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a transmission problem

Every now and then ill be doing about 10 miles and hour and ill give my car a little bit of throttle and it will rev up a little bit and ill feel a nasty clink. It will even spin tires sometimes. It only does this at slow speeds or from a stop. Is the tranny going out?
Old 05-21-2012, 06:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSWHITE07
Every now and then ill be doing about 10 miles and hour and ill give my car a little bit of throttle and it will rev up a little bit and ill feel a nasty clink. It will even spin tires sometimes. It only does this at slow speeds or from a stop. Is the tranny going out?
Does the shifts feel really sluggish? If so, the torque converter is going bad.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:21 AM
Launching!

Yes, check your fluid but its most likely ready for a rebuild.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:41 AM
Staging Lane

Shifts feel fine. BTW it has 57000 miles on it. It only acts up when I'm going slow
Old 05-21-2012, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Shifts feel fine. BTW it has 57000 miles on it. It only acts up when I'm going slow
Yeah man it's getting ready to go. When I had my SS, the trans would slip heavily. The crazy thing about it was my transmission fluid was still red. It wasn't burnt like the first time it went. My guess is that it's the torque converter or the power bands.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trans. is going on my 02 grand prix done the samething for about a year then the pump started whining time for a rebuild. Samething happen to my 02 gtp after a pass at a track 2 hours away from home lucky I made it home.To be honest GM should have never built these cars the trannys are weak, they cant hold up in a 200 hp grand prix let alone a 300 hp v8. The cars are fine if you want a v8 sound but as soon as you pound on them tranny breaks.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Well I still have a pertain warranty
? Do you think it will cover it?
Old 05-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Teching In

Default Yes

My SS was doing the same thing along with a minor stumble when driving "nicely". Oddly when flooring it everything worked great. I just had the torque converter and "a few seals etc..." replaced under my power train warranty. Works like new now...probably at least until the warranty expires in October LOL.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you still have a warranty, I would take the car to a trusted transmission shop, (not GM because they want it to go completely) and have them look at it. What they will do is call the warranty company, have an adjuster look at it and probably go with the best route possible. A lot of people get the Triple Edge Performance transmission work done on their transmissions and have success. So yeah my advice is to call your local transmission shop an have them look at it. Good luck with everything
Old 06-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSCoop
If you still have a warranty, I would take the car to a trusted transmission shop, (not GM because they want it to go completely) and have them look at it. What they will do is call the warranty company, have an adjuster look at it and probably go with the best route possible. A lot of people get the Triple Edge Performance transmission work done on their transmissions and have success. So yeah my advice is to call your local transmission shop an have them look at it. Good luck with everything
What is the Triple Edge Performance transmission work?? (sorry if its a dumb quest) My car (08 Impala SS w/67K) is doing the same thing as mentioned. More so from a stop, RPMs will go up but I will go no where then clunk clunk, maybe a jerk and then it will go. Dosent happen all the time, and seems to happen more if in 3 rather then drive.