Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**UPDATE 3..have my answer**Blew engine..I think..turns over but won't fire...video

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default **UPDATE 3..have my answer**Blew engine..I think..turns over but won't fire...video

173,000 miles on my stroker....so I can't complain.

I was doing a very high speed run on the highway yesterday. Out of nowhere the engine just shut off dead like I turned the key to off. No noise, no vibration, nothing.......

I pulled over and the temps were 240*F and there was white smoke pouring out of the oil fill cap when I took it off.

Engine turns over but its struggling, not smoothly turning over. But it will not fire.

Any ideas why it won't fire? I'm thinking my oil pump failed during the run....

Engine comes out this week. It'll be rebuilt immediately into a 441ci LS7 top end.

VIDEO:
UPDATE....video...turning over engine. Its not just one speed, it sounds like it has a little struggle spot.

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/i...idstarting.mp4

UPDATE 3....Video.........Internal Part is broken..........

Video is short......put the new Crank Sensor in. It fired like it always has when I just bump the key. BUT...it made an instant loud, CLACK, CLACK and stalled by itself. I did not try again.
I'm guessing broken rod.

There's a picture below of the old Crank Sensor....it has about a 1mm deep groove across it.

So, engine is coming out.......getting rebuilt. SUCKS, its just a bad time. I was about a week away from getting my new (used 2008) Merc E63 AMG.......now I'll have to wait maybe 6-8 months Oh well........pay to play. I got to play for 10+ years with this great engine that ARE built. Hope my 441ci lasts this long.........

VIDEO:

Attached Thumbnails **UPDATE 3..have my answer**Blew engine..I think..turns over but won't fire...video-pic1.sensor.jpg   **UPDATE 3..have my answer**Blew engine..I think..turns over but won't fire...video-pic2.sensor.jpg   **UPDATE 3..have my answer**Blew engine..I think..turns over but won't fire...video-pic3.sensor.jpg  

Last edited by LS6427; 05-31-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any water in oil or visa versa? My gut reaction is headgasket failed and it hydrolocked.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Starkey
any water in oil or visa versa? My gut reaction is headgasket failed and it hydrolocked.
No water in oil. My builder said to check if the timing chain broke. See if the rockers move when I turn it over. Maybe thats why no spark. It has plenty of fuel pressure.

How about a fuse for the ignition system, is there just one fuse for that?

Old 05-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6427
No water in oil. My builder said to check if the timing chain broke. See if the rockers move when I turn it over. Maybe thats why no spark. It has plenty of fuel pressure.

How about a fuse for the ignition system, is there just one fuse for that?

Hope that's all that happened! And yeah, there is a fuse for the ignition under the hood (on my Silverado there is anyways).

Pull a sparkplug, plug it into its coil wire and have someone crank the engine over while you look for a spark from the plug. That'll tell you right quick if you're getting spark.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Banned

Hope that's all that happened! And yeah, there is a fuse for the ignition under the hood (on my Silverado there is anyways).

Pull a sparkplug, plug it into its coil wire and have someone crank the engine over while you look for a spark from the plug. That'll tell you right quick if you're getting spark.
I'll check that tomorrow. Car is at a friends house. I had it towed there because we can pull the engine there if need be.

I thought I'd be pissed about this happening some day.....but its a great reason to pull it and rebuild it. Its old..... Just sucks because it ran so damn good.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Just sucks because it ran so damn good.
Hahaha! They always run the best right before they let loose!
Old 05-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Banned

Hahaha! They always run the best right before they let loose!
I'm still thinking maybe the oil pump failed.

Do you know what happens when an engine is at high rpm and oil stops flowing....?

I mean does it usually end up in a catastrophic failure with parts breaking and noise. Oil pouring out of the crankcase. Will it still turn over if it shuts down because of oil starvation?

Old 05-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Meh.. when it's at high rpm and oil stops flowing, it usually just seizes up before parts break. If the oil pump did fail, it probably seized the bearings and rings momentarily. Once the engine cooled somewhat, it freed itself and was able to turn over. Now, as far as the white smoke pouring out of the oil filler cap, that's a sign of major blow-by. If the engine was in the middle of seizing, the rings were getting pliable and lost any shape they had, letting oil get by the rings and into the combustion chamber, and gas and burned oil from the combustion chamber into the crankcase, thus giving you the abundance of white smoke.

How high were the rpms when it let loose?
Old 05-21-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm still thinking maybe the oil pump failed.

Do you know what happens when an engine is at high rpm and oil stops flowing....?

I mean does it usually end up in a catastrophic failure with parts breaking and noise. Oil pouring out of the crankcase. Will it still turn over if it shuts down because of oil starvation?

If it was the oil pump, the new hole in the side of the block would have told you so
Old 05-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Banned

Meh.. when it's at high rpm and oil stops flowing, it usually just seizes up before parts break. If the oil pump did fail, it probably seized the bearings and rings momentarily. Once the engine cooled somewhat, it freed itself and was able to turn over. Now, as far as the white smoke pouring out of the oil filler cap, that's a sign of major blow-by. If the engine was in the middle of seizing, the rings were getting pliable and lost any shape they had, letting oil get by the rings and into the combustion chamber, and gas and burned oil from the combustion chamber into the crankcase, thus giving you the abundance of white smoke.

How high were the rpms when it let loose?
5,500 - 6,000, over 150mph.

It shut down very quietly. No other bad symptoms.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
If it was the oil pump, the new hole in the side of the block would have told you so
No oil coming out anywhere. All looks fine.

A failed oil pump will always put a hole in a block.....????

Old 05-21-2012, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could have a bad fuel pump. If it has lost fuel pressure I don't think it will even try to fire. The first thing it does before you start it is prime the fuel pump. Probally the white smoke is just from the high speed run you were doing.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NC98Z
You could have a bad fuel pump. If it has lost fuel pressure I don't think it will even try to fire. The first thing it does before you start it is prime the fuel pump. Probally the white smoke is just from the high speed run you were doing.
Fuel pressure seems good. I didn't use a tester, but I can hear the fuel pump prime normally like hit always does when the key is turned to "on". Fuel blasts out hard from the fuel rail port when I push the pin in.

I have to get back over there tomorrow and check the fuses, then see if the rockers are moving to see if the timing chain broke. I'll pull a plug to check for spark while cranking.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

No oil coming out anywhere. All looks fine.

A failed oil pump will always put a hole in a block.....????

Not always, but if you're turning any decent RPM when it happens it's a good chance. Doubt its a timing chain, every time the motor turns over you would run the valves into the pistons and that noise would be obvious.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Banned

Not always, but if you're turning any decent RPM when it happens it's a good chance. Doubt its a timing chain, every time the motor turns over you would run the valves into the pistons and that noise would be obvious.
Huh....well there's no hole in the block. If its not the timing chain then maybe just a fuse blew for the ignition.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Teching In

your muffler bearing failed more than likely.

Keep us posted.. and get a vid if you can!
Old 05-21-2012, 04:41 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

No oil pressure at full throttle is catastrophic. The rod bearings will fail, the friction will turn the big end of the rod red hot, then boom! One or more will break, and there is the hole in the block.

At full power an engine will have no problem overcoming the friction caused by no oil pressure.

If you have an oil pressure gauge, you should see pressure when cranking, or just after you stop cranking breifly.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
No oil pressure at full throttle is catastrophic. The rod bearings will fail, the friction will turn the big end of the rod red hot, then boom! One or more will break, and there is the hole in the block.
If it was catastrophic......and a rod broke. Would it be silent? Would I hear metal banging around now when turning it over?

If you have an oil pressure gauge, you should see pressure when cranking, or just after you stop cranking breifly.
My oil pressure gauge has never moved until the engine actually starts up, about 1 second after its started and running the oil pressure needle jumps up. Been that way since my 427ci went in 10 years ago.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

A quick way to check if the ignition relay went is to swap it with the fan relay right next to it. If it fires, you found your problem. Both are located in the fuse panel behind the driver side headlight.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Exeodus
A quick way to check if the ignition relay went is to swap it with the fan relay right next to it. If it fires, you found your problem. Both are located in the fuse panel behind the driver side headlight.
Cool thanks....so its one of the big grey block type fuses......not a little plastic one. I'll try tomorrow.

Quick Reply: **UPDATE 3..have my answer**Blew engine..I think..turns over but won't fire...video