Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

painting air lid...need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting air lid...need help

I would like to paint my air lid, but a. im not sure how to do it so it comes out smooth and shiney. and b. not sure what color id like. I have a black z28 what color do you all suggest? i have the black whisper lid...should i just keep it black and add some decals or emblems? or just leave it...just looking for opinions... but if you also have info on how to paint the lid please let me know
Thanks Travis
Old 03-30-2004, 06:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a professional do it, please! It can't be that expensive. Unless you have a lot of experience painting stuff, you should not attempt it, especially on something so noticeable. I'm only telling you this because of personal experience!
Old 03-30-2004, 10:34 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its really not a big deal. pick a color you want first..on a black car silver always looks sharp.

just like painting anything else the prep work is what will make or break it. You need to spend the proper time sanding the hell out of it to get the suface nice and smooth to accept the primer and paint and clearcoat. You can start with soemthing as rough as like 100 grit or what not but end up with at least a 600 grit to finish with.

Use primer meant for plastic, which you can get at home depot and def clearcoat it after you are done with the painting of the color you want. Doing nice paint work with rattle cans takes a bit of practice..if you haven't done anything like this before find something to practice on..like your stock airlid will take extra time to do that but you will be glad you practiced the smoothing, priming, painting, etc of a plastic surface before you go after your whisper lid..

Quick Reply: painting air lid...need help