LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

correct forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default correct forum.

When did this forum become less about the ls4 platform and more about "what should I buy....probably trading" blah blah. This forum is intended for people who enjoy the ls4, and would like to exchange information on mods and opinions of mods and other technical information. It is not a gto forum. It is not a g8 forum. Months ago I was constantly checking this forum for new info and new mods, now every day someone posts there impending sale or trade and why their new car is so much better. Can we add a new section called "the completely not ls4 related section." Or "hey let me **** on your car because I bought a new car". Because frankly if its Not ls4 related I dont give a Damn. If I want news on the gto or g8 or charger or challenger or any other vehicle I will go to those respective forums. Because those forums sure as hell are not posting about the ls4. That's why forums have subjects. Stick to the subject on that forum. I could be completely wrong, and if so I apologize. But I'm watching this forum go down hill. Because when I want real ls4 info. I have to dig back from posts of months ago, through all the I traded my ls4 for a ___________(insert non ls4) and its so much better than my ls4. How for a that help the rest of us ls4 owners. Drumroll....it doesnt. Sorry for the rant. Sincerely, an ls4 fan, and advocate.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nobody cares lol, you are 100% correct I usually just stick to gmls4.com for info. For every thread posted about a tech question their is 50 threads about trading in my ls4 for a space shuttle .rant over.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But the Space Shuttle isn't FWD and it is more mod friendly...also the trans is stronger and won't require a rebuild....everyone knows that
Old 05-22-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is why gmls4 exists.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Launching!

What LS1 Racing said^^

I agree this forum has been pretty dead lately as well as gmls4. I'm no tech guru so I try to chime in when possible with what I've learned so far. You can't really blame anyone for jumping ship. These cars are not for everyone. It's an oddball platform that is somewhat difficult to mod (lack of parts/kits) and has one giant thorn in its *** (the tranny).

I plan on keeping my Monte at least a few more years. I haven't been able to mod much this year due to some house rennovations and my wedding/honeymoon in October. But after that is all over with, you can bet your *** I'll have the mod bug First, is a TEP trans to support MOAR POWA (I'm still with the original @ 89k miles and going strong) and then I'll move on to adding HP with an intake swap/headers/cam and some suspension upgrades.

I'm sticking with my retarded FWD V8
Old 05-22-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

Agreed
Old 05-22-2012, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JessmoMonteSS
What LS1 Racing said^^

I agree this forum has been pretty dead lately as well as gmls4. I'm no tech guru so I try to chime in when possible with what I've learned so far. You can't really blame anyone for jumping ship. These cars are not for everyone. It's an oddball platform that is somewhat difficult to mod (lack of parts/kits) and has one giant thorn in its *** (the tranny).
I can't comment on the generally poor quality of the posts here, but I think part of the reason that both forums have slowed a bit is due to the fact that summer is here, and people have other things going on, as well as the fact that there's been a lot of turnover in the LS4 community.

I do have faith, though. Many of the new members on GMLS4 have been very active on the site are making strong contributions.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
I can't comment on the generally poor quality of the posts here, but I think part of the reason that both forums have slowed a bit is due to the fact that summer is here, and people have other things going on, as well as the fact that there's been a lot of turnover in the LS4 community.

I do have faith, though. Many of the new members on GMLS4 have been very active on the site are making strong contributions.
Oh definitely, activity goes up and down but the best part is that the information is all there. You just have to use the PITA search function to find it lol. Thankfully we have a ton of stickies on both sites.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do agree and disagree. As i have been a recent offender. I love my car. Just we were in need of two cars. And i know it can be an easy sell to buy to cars at once. But im very happy to keep my GXP. We don't need so much negativity towards the LS4 cars. But we are all car people. We should be able to talk about any vehicle in here. I look at this part of the forum as home. I look into other areas time to time. But if i had a question about something random. I would ask it here. Because i feel we have alot of like minded people.

The forum has been very dead this past week. First Big holiday weekend coming up has something to do with it.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

the funny thing is when people make post like this and chime in on how your gonna be loyal and not jump ship.Next thing you know a few months later there making a new thread on why they needed to get ride of there ride for certain reasons but buy a RWD V8...I really don't care to read these threads for the most part,but today was just one of those days where I felt like looking at all the threads.

This car is like your wife,sometimes you love her then there are times you want to strangle her.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT
the funny thing is when people make post like this and chime in on how your gonna be loyal and not jump ship.Next thing you know a few months later there making a new thread on why they needed to get ride of there ride for certain reasons but buy a RWD V8...I really don't care to read these threads for the most part,but today was just one of those days where I felt like looking at all the threads.

This car is like your wife,sometimes you love her then there are times you want to strangle her.

Couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 05-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Launching!

Haha, you know, at first I thought you were just *itching because, well, it happens.

However, I have a soft pitch question about some parts suggestions, 73 views, nothing! lol.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

It seems like a lot of people have been turned away due to the same problems over and over and over. Due to the limited number of LS4s out there (especially compared to other engines in the same platforms...) I think the expertise is not really out there, especially in independent and dealership shops. I think most of us, know more than the dealers and shops do to be honest...

But its the same on other platforms. Look at what the 6.0 Diesel Ford (International) engines did to Ford Truck fans. 6.0 failure after failure after failure, mainly caused by lack of knowledge of the failure points. Until Ford went through and MASS RETRAINED all their techs they would "Repair" a truck and it would immediately come right back. Only once they had thousands and thousands of warranty claims did they actually start to root cause oh why is the EGR cooler going bad, oh why do the head gaskets keep blowing...etc

Sorry....rant
Old 05-26-2012, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Forgot to add one thing....TEP knows the 4T65E like no body else. Dave identified all the known issues, and sells all the necessary parts to correct them. I have yet to hear of anyone that upgraded their trans with TEP parts complain about my trans went out, im on my 3rd TEP rebuild.

Knowledge is the key.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

To the OP.

I can't speak for anyone else here, but in general I still find myself posting here because during my short time as a part of this forum, I found the people to be very helpful and likable. I also keep an eye out here (and another eye on the news in general) for anything about GM taking the steps to remediate the issues with the transmission. Why?

Because I hated to get rid of my LS4-powered beast (a bleen GXP). I loved that car. But I could not justify paying a car payment and throwing a $2500+ transmission in the mix at the same time. I just didn't have the finances at the time. My fault? Possibly, it was my first car I had ever financed and I didn't take the time to research it. Would I still have bought it? Absolutely. I loved the look of the Grand Prix. And God knows if a miracle struck and I won the lottery, or GM offered to replace our bum trannys or the torque converters and other related awful parts, I would somehow track down whoever bought my '06 GXP and offer them a large sum to buy that car back. So I don't own an LS4 anymore... does that mean I should cancel my account here? I wouldn't think this is how this place operates.

I'm sorry for the rant but posts like this get my goat.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Thanks to all the fans of the ls4 out there. I refuse to get down on this car,i've owned mine since 06 and as an original owner,i still love this beast. Unfortunately shes layed up right now in my garage with a bad tranny. Im waiting to save up some to get the tep,but don't mind cause it's not my dd and I plan on keeping it for a long time. After the tep, it's going to get an inferno hood, then a paint job. It's such a fun car to drive with enough interior comforts. All cars have their unique problems, i've yet to own a vehicle that didnt have some major issues, and ive owned lots of cars. Talk to me about head gaskets,lol.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Gxpintn your missing the point. The point is this is a forum to help people with ls4 vehicles....bashing the car and telling people not to buy it is not helpful. If you don't like the car and dont bring helpful info to the table move on...and dont say warning.people is helpful. Because I could troll srt4 forums and every other vehicle forum and pick apart the car.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

I am not going anywhere soon.......... I love my Monte and love the suprised look on people's faces when I walk all over them.. I am at 65K on the original tranny and will go TEP when it blows.. Oh well the FWD tranny seems to be a GM weakpoint as my 99 Monte Z34 blew its tranny @ 36K...
Old 06-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by baltsk8er69
Gxpintn your missing the point. The point is this is a forum to help people with ls4 vehicles....bashing the car and telling people not to buy it is not helpful. If you don't like the car and dont bring helpful info to the table move on...and dont say warning.people is helpful. Because I could troll srt4 forums and every other vehicle forum and pick apart the car.
I can agree with that. I never personally bashed the platform, I had transmission problems and decided selling it was my best move. Me personally, I stay because I like to see what others are doing to their cars, to see any news on the forefront of transmission remediation, and on the off chance someone needs some help with the audio in their car (the only thing I really did to my GXP was spend $900 on new speakers). I rarely post here anymore specifically for reasons you mentioned- because I never touched the motor except to change the oil, the filter, and to clean it. Therefore, I don't know anything about camming it or installing a rearmount turbo other than what I've read.

In any case I meant no offense
Old 06-03-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No offense at all I wasn't targeting you. I have agreed with everything you said.