LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

OBDII Dataport Communication

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 10:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Question OBDII Dataport Communication

Posted this in the pcm diagnostics section and I'm getting nothing:

Last year I had a scantool that did everything I wanted it to do, read/stream live data, pull codes etc. Suddenly it decided to stop working, I got asn SES light and the scantool powered up but said no codes were present. It said no modules were present for viewing live data either. I figured since it was a cheaper scantool I just got what I paid for. If I told it to clear the codes it would shut the light off only for it to come back on a few miles later. I borrowed a friends $2500+ Snap On scantool and it worked fine (code was a melted O2 wire).

This year I buy a Mac scantool so I don't have to borrow the Snap On one. Plus the Mac has the ability to record live sensor data in real time so I'm thinking here's my OBD2 datalogger! Same deal it will power up from the data port and shut off the SES light but not read codes or display sensor data, it say's it's not plugged into the data port. I've looked at the connector and there's no corrosion and all pins are in place, not broken and the wires seem to be fine.

When Moe Bailey (Moehorsepower) tuned my car he had no issues with the data port but 2 years ago Ed Wright (Fastchip) had to plug directly into the pcm cause he couldn't get the pcm to communicate though the port. Moe and Ed both said this is normal for some cars.

-What causes this and is there any fix for it?

-Why does the Snap On scantool work but my the HFT (Centech which used to work) and Mac don't?

The only differences are the Snap On is made for several different pcm platforms (various connectors/plugs/keys, etc) and my HFT and Mac are OBD2 only (one attached cord and plug).