Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limp mode? Car ignores me going down the highway!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 06:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limp mode? Car ignores me going down the highway!

What the heck is going on!!? I have a '69 with a brand new LS6 with a magnacharger.. I have about 500 flawless miles on it this spring.. HOWEVER, two of the last three trips - i've had an issue that I cannot figure out..? Just driving down the highway at 75mph, the car will become completely unresponsive like it's in a limp mode or so to speak? The engine will lose RPM's, the car slows and it's like on cruise control at 1400RPM (which is not hooked up at the moment). The engine stays running, I just cannot accelerate. The Electronic gas pedal becomes completely unresponsive? I can push the pedal to the floor, but the engine does not respond. All the gauges read good - oil pressure, temp, etc. Both times I've been able to correct the issue by turning off the ignition, waiting 5-10 seconds, and then re-starting the car (while coasting down the highway) and it will take right off like nothing ever happened? I threw my handheld decoder on the computer and the only code it is throwing, is the vehicle speed sensor, which is not hooked up. Any ideas what could be causing this? I'm planning on attending the Hot Rod Power Tour in a couple weeks and Im getting nervous about the reliability!!! Appreciate any help.

Thanks, Jason
Old 05-25-2012, 08:00 AM
TECH Resident

Check the wiring to the TAC/pedal.

Try to get some sort of scan tool in the car. See if the TPS signal drops out when the car acts up.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by i r teh noobz
Check the wiring to the TAC/pedal.

Try to get some sort of scan tool in the car. See if the TPS signal drops out when the car acts up.
I checked the connection at the TB.. I will check the other wiring and connections tonight.. I did put the scan tool on after the first episode and it didnt show any errors at the time (other than VSS, which I do not have). Of course, that was after I turned the car off and back on and it was operating normally.. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fuel Pressure? Try cleaning/changing the filter. You might have some junk working loose.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

Make sure your PRNDL switch is wired correctly/ in good condition. If it doesnt think its in gear it will drop the redline down real low.

Mark
Old 06-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Launching!

any progress?
Old 06-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Guessing the wiring for dbw circuit
Old 06-21-2012, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i had a similar problem, Well i wish the supercharger was one of them. Ended up being my TAC module
Old 06-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Launching!

We'll I wish I could say I found the definitive problem, but I didnt... I took apart every connection, blew them out, looked at the terminals, sprayed contact cleaner, etc. hooked everything back up.. I even inspected the TB blade and sprayed it with some cleaner and light coat of Wd on the rod.. Put it all back together and knock on wood, but I've put almost 800 miles with NO episodes.. I even ran almost 500 miles in one day on the Hot Rod Power Tour - flawless.. I think it must have been terminal/ connection related - but so far, so good.. Thanks for checking in.. Jason
Old 06-21-2012, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to hear your back up and on the road !.. hopefully it was the connections.. but check your grounds, many electrical problem can be traced back to grounding issue but looks like something else or cause other DTC code to be generated.

Good Luck !

BC

Quick Reply: Limp mode? Car ignores me going down the highway!