Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

steering wheel shakes at 60

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 12:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering wheel shakes at 60

my car has been having trouble when reaching high speeds past 60 mph. steering wheel shakes a lot what is the deal?
Old 05-25-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by joeyagls1
my car has been having trouble when reaching high speeds past 60 mph. steering wheel shakes a lot what is the deal?
Could be an imbalanced wheel, or damaged front end parts, may need an alignment...could be any number of little things that could turn into big things. could be a u-joint on your driveshaft going out causing your DS to become unbalanced, hell... I'd start with the front end, "alignment, wheels etc" and go from there. Any tire shop should be able to get you on a lift so you can get under the car and really get it inspected rather then trying to use a creeper...
Old 05-25-2012, 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheapest order....

wheels torqued properly
check suspension parts to make sure nothing is loose
check your tires (might be out of round)
wheel balance
alignment
Broken/worn out front end or suspension parts.
-RR bushings, struts, strut mounts, ball joints, etc....
FWIW, mine has 90k on it and I havent gotten around to replacing anything on the front suspension yet (It NEEDS it) and I dont have any issues. SO it might just be something loose or something easy to fix.

I doubt its going to be your DS. You would feel a vibration, but not through the steering wheel.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

ehh, some might consider it "through" the steering wheel when the whole car shakes..... hard to judge having never driven it ourselves. I remember a local member on here could have sword he heard somthing grinding in the front brakes.... but couldn't find anything wrong..... so he came over and took me for a ride and I pretty soon realized it was comming from the REAR not the front. We found us some blown out brake pads and severely damaged rotors....

Now he has a twin turbo build and a car that would smoke most of us
Old 05-26-2012, 10:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by baalic
Could be an imbalanced wheel, or damaged front end parts, may need an alignment...could be any number of little things that could turn into big things. could be a u-joint on your driveshaft going out causing your DS to become unbalanced, hell... I'd start with the front end, "alignment, wheels etc" and go from there. Any tire shop should be able to get you on a lift so you can get under the car and really get it inspected rather then trying to use a creeper...
Yeah, I have a car lift and check few things out, I am going to start the cheap way up like you said man, easy things first then if its something serious well go from there!
Old 05-26-2012, 10:33 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by baalic
ehh, some might consider it "through" the steering wheel when the whole car shakes..... hard to judge having never driven it ourselves. I remember a local member on here could have sword he heard somthing grinding in the front brakes.... but couldn't find anything wrong..... so he came over and took me for a ride and I pretty soon realized it was comming from the REAR not the front. We found us some blown out brake pads and severely damaged rotors....

Now he has a twin turbo build and a car that would smoke most of us
Wow haha, yeah thats serious when you wear those breaks out. I have new disc break kit big rotors now, those are new. I think it might be a simple alignment or my tires are lose maybe.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:34 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by gconnoyer
Cheapest order....

wheels torqued properly
check suspension parts to make sure nothing is loose
check your tires (might be out of round)
wheel balance
alignment
Broken/worn out front end or suspension parts.
-RR bushings, struts, strut mounts, ball joints, etc....
FWIW, mine has 90k on it and I havent gotten around to replacing anything on the front suspension yet (It NEEDS it) and I dont have any issues. SO it might just be something loose or something easy to fix.

I doubt its going to be your DS. You would feel a vibration, but not through the steering wheel.
Yeah I am going to do that order myself. I really like to get all new suspension stuff from bushings to drive shaft, stronger parts overall.

Quick Reply: steering wheel shakes at 60