LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New clutch time!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 05:28 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New clutch time!

Ok, so I recently purchased a 96 Z28 with 71k on it. Its stock right now with a k&n intake. I will be purchasing some LTs, catback, tune, short throw shifter, and some suspension mods. I have thought about a cc503 or custom grind cam but thats at least a year off.

Basically I need to know what clutch kit would be best for me. Im looking at a Spec stage 2 from the WS6 store but I have heard a lot of people dont like Spec clutches. I want a clutch that doesnt chatter and wont slip. I do 99% of my driving on the street and DD it a few weeks out of the month.

What have you guys used with what results??? What else will I need when I put the new clutch in? Thanks for the help guys!!!
Old 05-26-2012, 05:50 AM
TECH Regular

Before my rear main decided to **** all over it, I had a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch. It was outstanding with a bolt-on only motor. Held like a champ and I drove the heck out of it.

After a few years, I finally got back to working on my car that had been hibernating for about four years, and found that Centerforce doesn't make pressure plates for LT1s anymore. When I called the guy up, he told me that they can't get the tooling to make the pressure plates and thus don't sell pressure plates or discs anymore.

Nevertheless, I did a ton of research and found that for a relatively beefier motor (~400rwhp) the Competition Clutch - Stage 2 seemed like a solid bet. I am still buttoning my car back up so I don't have any first hand experience with the clutch but heres the website and P/N for your car if you want to do your own research.

http://www.competitionclutch.com/
P/N 4134-2250 for the Stage 2
Old 05-26-2012, 06:07 AM
Launching!

Thank you! I will do a little research on that one. Has anybody here used that clutch?
Old 05-26-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this should help you decide

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...h-best-me.html
Old 05-26-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

with future H/C in your build I would get the Competition Clutch 2+

It is organic full face disc on PP side and segmented puc on FW side. Street maners are good once you break it in. Like any segmented disc it can chatter but your driving technique will learn and smooth sailing from there.

for the ultimate a twin disc clutch like McLeod...but $1k+ and your mods right now don't need one

Quick Reply: New clutch time!