LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ATI super damper LT1 install ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ATI super damper LT1 install ?'s

I have a brand new ATI damper part# 917268, 7.5" stock diameter. I'm wondering if anyone has a link to this install on a 96 LT1. Just would like a guide to refer to for common mishaps or tips. Any input is appreciated.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There's no real trick to it as it installs like any other hub/damper. Just remember to use anti-seize compound on the crank snout threads (it is 7/16x20 fine thread, so this step is crucial to keeping your crank threads usable).
Old 05-29-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Instructions should be included but basically it's a bolt on affair. Follow the torque figures and use the recommended loctite.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My threads on my crank were kind of fubard from the previous owners hackjob. Never had any instructions when i got a used ati super damper. Had an extra set of hands one with a rubber/plastic mallet pounding it on while someone else tightens the bolt. Takes awhile but in my case i wouldnt trust pushing it on with a gun. Just too much stress and if my threads let go im FAWKED. Works for me and a bit of locktite for safe measure.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With an ATI it has a separate hub that you can just heat up and install. Put it in your oven to 200 degrees for 5 minutes or so and then grab it with a towel and just slide it on. Or you can borrow a balancer install tool. Either way, beating it on or drawing it in with the bolt is the wrong way to do it.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:06 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the quick info on this install guys.

Noice,
I think I will try that trick with heating up the hub and put some anti-seize on the crank snout. Hopefully it will slide right on. Thanks for the tip. I was going to try and draw the hub down with the bolt, but it appears that is the wrong way to do the install. Where can I borrow a hub/balancer install tool? Maybe, oreilly's auto parts?
Old 05-30-2012, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96silverram
Thanks for the quick info on this install guys.

Noice,
I think I will try that trick with heating up the hub and put some anti-seize on the crank snout. Hopefully it will slide right on. Thanks for the tip. I was going to try and draw the hub down with the bolt, but it appears that is the wrong way to do the install. Where can I borrow a hub/balancer install tool? Maybe, oreilly's auto parts?
Yea they should have the too that you can rent to install it. Any decent shop will have one that you could borrow if you know them.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:14 AM
8 Second Club

Use a quality install tool and anti seize any other way is going to mess up some threads. Gizmo has suggested in the past putting the hub in some boiling water to help with the install. It is damn near impossible to get it on without a good install tool.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

I just installed my ATI damper this past weekend. The instructions included with the damper are very good. You also need to check to see how much of a press fit you will have by measuring the crank snout OD and the damper ID. In the instructions is a list of the range of low large press fit should be, which is important to how the crank transmits vibrations to the balancer. I used lots of anti-sieze and the boiling pot of water trick as well.

One tip I can think of,

If your installing the damper with the engine in the vehicle make sure you have the trans in a gear so the crank will not rotate, if your on an engine stand have the crank locked in place before you get started. Once you start pressing on the hub be sure to work quickly, the cool crank will pull the heat out of the hub quickly causing it to return to its original size fairly quick. The further the hub is on the crank the more resistance it will have and harder to keep moving until it bottoms out.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

heating hub, anti seize all good tips

IMHO if you can find a Kent Moore "LT1" tool on ebay it is worth it. With the ATI though you will need a big (2") grade 8 washer since the hub hole is bigger than a stock one and the washer included with the KM tool is to small. Also need to use a socket over the "removal" part of the tool to get it off as a spacer...no big deal.

With the KM tool I don't heat the hub, just use anti seize and it goes on very easy.
Attached Thumbnails ATI super damper LT1 install ?'s-km-lt1-puller.jpg   ATI super damper LT1 install ?'s-km-puller.jpg   ATI super damper LT1 install ?'s-km-puller-ati-eagle-crank.jpg  
Old 05-31-2012, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

97 pontta & ******, Thanks for the additional info. I'm actually thinking about trying to purchase the Kent Moore tool just to make the job easier.

Quick Reply: ATI super damper LT1 install ?'s