Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Coolant Light On...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 03:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Low Coolant Light On...

My low coolant light comes on everytime I start my car and the engine is cold. I can drive for 2 minutes, turn the car off then on and the light turns off normally. Why would this occur? It didn't use to do this, but like I said it happens everytime now.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

well, is your coolant low? do you have a leak? check between the block and water pump for a leak. possibly a bad sensor.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On `99 cars the coolant level sensor is junk. You can replace it, clean it, pray for it but it will screw up again. Just unplug it, that's the only way to cure it. The `00+ cars don't even have this, so it will hurt nothing. (assuming there are no leaks) Just check your coolant when you do an oil change to keep and eye out.

It's below the return hole and above the top trans cooler line. You can remove the battery to get a better veiw.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ture the sensors are junk, but before you unplug it make sure you check the fluid level. if it is low refill it while the car is running and the thermostat is open. monitor it for a couple of days. If the light comes on again and you check it and the fluid level is low, then it is a sign that the car is loosing the coolant somewhere or it is consuming it through the cylinders.

Mine did this not to long ago and it turned out to be a toasted head gasket.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

The sensor is dirty. Take off the clip,pull it out, clean with a q-tip and reinstall, 10min. job. Mine did it 2years ago and no problems since.