Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Confused about ti retainers - educated me please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Confused about ti retainers - educated me please.

I have an al block TSP LS2 that has about 20k mi on it over the past 3 years. Car is tracked about 1 weekend a month at VIR/RD ATL/Daytona. I did the Blackstone analysis and it showed high levels of titanium, and the only titanium I could find was in valve spring retainers. Heads are TFS 225s which does have the ti retainers. I stumbled across a comment where someone mentioned that those types do not allow for valves to rotate, which causes wear and premature engine wear. I have a lot of money in motor so I was just curious about function and alternatives for retainers. Most mods are in signature. Thoughts?
Old 05-29-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Were the heads (springs/retainers) assembled when you bought them? I've seen some springs gouge Ti retainers if not dressed, but there should be no abnormal wear if assembled properly.

Just to make sure, you're not using one of the new oils or additives that has Ti as an anti-wear ingredient are you?
Old 05-29-2012, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

Heads came from TFS with springs and retainers already intstalled. I am using AmsOil 10w/40 which contains the extra zddp, but amsoil rep did not mention anything about ti being in there when I showed him the Blackstone report. I have tried to take no shortcuts in building a dependable road racing motor, so hopefully I am just over reacting a bit. Just don't want to trash a $16k motor.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

Was the engine spec'd out by a shop or by you? The TFS 225 standard springs are rated for max .600 lift and the MS3 cam does .603/.609

If nothing else was changed, you may be putting your valve springs into bind and the valvetrain is destroying itself.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

I did the original motor with Patriot heads, but engine shop did the TFS upgrade with YT rockers. I will check with them. Thanks for pointing that out. Would that cause excessive wear on the retainers?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Reading other posts says that the TFS springs are good for .650 lift even though they advertise them for .600 max for some reason.

If the valve is floating or the spring is binding or anything to cause the retainer to move, it can be gouged by the spring.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Not everyone uses the same grade of Ti, some are harder some are softer. Also if the springs are getting weak and spinning they will start rubbing into the retainers as well.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Reading other posts says that the TFS springs are good for .650 lift even though they advertise them for .600 max for some reason.

If the valve is floating or the spring is binding or anything to cause the retainer to move, it can be gouged by the spring.
Talked to builder and he said same - so all good there. I have changed oil and will send in another sample. Because of the abuse the motor takes, I planned on repl springs every other year, but if it needs to be every year, then so be it. Hopefully I am just over reacting. Thanks for input.

Quick Reply: Confused about ti retainers - educated me please.