Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.7L Swap from a 1999 Chevy Express Van into a 70 Chevelle...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.7L Swap from a 1999 Chevy Express Van into a 70 Chevelle...?

I found a chevy van for a reasonable price and I was wondering how different is the older chevy 5.7L compared to the newer 5.3L and 6.0L?? I read up on a lot of the conversions that everyone has done and I want to do this for my 70 Chevelle. Would it generally be the same methods as a lot of you guys pointed out or should I find a 5.3 or 6.0L to do my conversion????

Any and all help, advice or comments are very welcome... I an trying to learn all I can about this swap..

I have a P600b procharger setup that I was planning on putting on and running but I would rather do this type of setup...

Thanks!!!
Old 05-29-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Regular

you know a 70 chevelle came with an older 5.7l stock from chevy right?
99' vans came with gen I sbc not a gen III LSx. They do have the good 0411 pcm frequently though.

main diff between a 99 and a 70 is there is no mechanical fuel pump machining done to the block and there is no coolant bypass hole in the cyl head so you should run a heater and electric fuel pump.

For the sbc swap, it's pretty cheap. Just need an intake, carb, and distributor.
Search Team Chevelle if you go that route. Lot's of help on that board.

The 5.3 swap isn't so cheap or easy. You'll need to do more research to decide what you want to do.

I'll say this though. The final straw for me and sbc's was when I went to the chassis dyno and a cam only LS1 C10 truck swap came in and beat my fresh 383 w/ vortec heads by 50hp. I had 50 ftlbs of torque on him down low but his setup was just plain better factoring in the effort I put into that 383.

Two ways to do a LSx swap - EFI or carb.

For carb, your looking at $800ish for an intake and ignition from edelbrock.
plus a carb

EFI - assuming you have a complete pull out engine, then it's $650ish for HPtuners. You will need help with it if you've never done any tuning before.

The fuel system is the big pita on these swaps.
Lot's of variables that are based on your budget and what you'll live with or think you'll live with.

You'll need to factor in what transmission you want - T400, 4L80E, or 4L60E.
The E trans don't have to use a PCM w/ the proper mods (more $). But they're very nice with a PCM controlling them. For a street car with boost, a 4L80E is hard to beat. The price of the 80E is comparable to a 60E built to what they say is the same HP capability.
There are various flex plate, spacer, converter options you'll need to figure out based on which trans and or year of trans you chose.

Just read through several builds here and search on various parts to see what people had to do.

Last edited by TurboS10; 05-29-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think the vans switched over to the LS series in 1999, meaning you would essentially be doing an LT swap. Not a lot of horsepower in that particular engine, and I would avoid it. It's almost certainly under 300HP, probably closer to 250HP....maybe even less.

A good running 5.3 or 6.0 is rated at 327-347HP stock. Those aren't my made up numbers....I found the chart in the book "GM LS-Series Engines: The Complete Swap Manual" by Joseph Potak

Good running, tested, warranteed 5.3s can be bought from Bow Auto, complete with every wire, bolt, fastener and fitting for as low as $750. 6.0s starting at like $1100

Now of course, these are used engines with miles on them already, so keep that in mind.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes its basically a lt ..dont do it. find newer van year or truck..
Old 05-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TurboS10
you know a 70 chevelle came with an older 5.7l stock from chevy right?
99' vans came with gen I sbc not a gen III LSx. They do have the good 0411 pcm frequently though.

main diff between a 99 and a 70 is there is no mechanical fuel pump machining done to the block and there is no coolant bypass hole in the cyl head so you should run a heater and electric fuel pump.

For the sbc swap, it's pretty cheap. Just need an intake, carb, and distributor.
Search Team Chevelle if you go that route. Lot's of help on that board.

The 5.3 swap isn't so cheap or easy. You'll need to do more research to decide what you want to do.

I'll say this though. The final straw for me and sbc's was when I went to the chassis dyno and a cam only LS1 C10 truck swap came in and beat my fresh 383 w/ vortec heads by 50hp. I had 50 ftlbs of torque on him down low but his setup was just plain better factoring in the effort I put into that 383.

Two ways to do a LSx swap - EFI or carb.

For carb, your looking at $800ish for an intake and ignition from edelbrock.
plus a carb

EFI - assuming you have a complete pull out engine, then it's $650ish for HPtuners. You will need help with it if you've never done any tuning before.

The fuel system is the big pita on these swaps.
Lot's of variables that are based on your budget and what you'll live with or think you'll live with.

You'll need to factor in what transmission you want - T400, 4L80E, or 4L60E.
The E trans don't have to use a PCM w/ the proper mods (more $). But they're very nice with a PCM controlling them. For a street car with boost, a 4L80E is hard to beat. The price of the 80E is comparable to a 60E built to what they say is the same HP capability.
There are various flex plate, spacer, converter options you'll need to figure out based on which trans and or year of trans you chose.

Just read through several builds here and search on various parts to see what people had to do.
Wow, is that really the only difference between the older 5.7L vs the newer 5.7L? I have a 327 w/ .40 over with a small cam & a 450 tranny. I was wanting to go with an EFI LS swap not carbed. Im getting tired of carbs. All LS motors are so much better IMO. Just new technology gets me going vs old school.. But I love the old school cars.. (Go figure..) Plus with all that HP with a stock motor that was designed for a truck get fitted into a car, thats just SWEET!!! Such small mods like a different cam, intake and maybe heads if in your budget, you can have something that spanks most of the competition out there. (Especially those damn F.O.R.D.'s!!)

Originally Posted by superdave84
I don't think the vans switched over to the LS series in 1999, meaning you would essentially be doing an LT swap. Not a lot of horsepower in that particular engine, and I would avoid it. It's almost certainly under 300HP, probably closer to 250HP....maybe even less.

A good running 5.3 or 6.0 is rated at 327-347HP stock. Those aren't my made up numbers....I found the chart in the book "GM LS-Series Engines: The Complete Swap Manual" by Joseph Potak

Good running, tested, warranteed 5.3s can be bought from Bow Auto, complete with every wire, bolt, fastener and fitting for as low as $750. 6.0s starting at like $1100

Now of course, these are used engines with miles on them already, so keep that in mind.
AHHHHHH... ok... thats very good info.. I should have WIKI'ed that van I c. I will have to check out Bow Auto. Thx

I guess thats why it was a cheap buy.... Im glad you guys are around to school a newb!
Old 05-30-2012, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

I forgot the crank flange/1 pc rear main seal that came out in the late 80's.
The intake bolt pattern is different and inferior imop since GM refused to copy ford and use 3/8 bolts.

And it's not an gen II LT(1).

250 HP iirc

It's a gen I with vortec heads, efi, crank trigger ignition, single coil with rear mount distributor that has a cam sensor inside and 411 pcm. It's how EFI Connection got their start doing CNP ignition on Gen 1's w/ the 411 PCM.
The details are on thirdgen.org for those interested. search S10Wildside

It's a good base motor if you want gen 1 tech but a used 6.0 with a cam will make more power for similar money excluding the swap cost.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Van (96' - 02') used the SBC (Gen I) L31 engine. IIRC they got switched over to the Gen III engine in 2003 ??..It was not a bad engine for the old SBC design. It was the last of the SBC I generations of engines.. It had the good Vortec head and EFI and the block can take a Roller cam with just the OEM lifter setup. Upgrade the EFI with a Edelbrock Intake and a better EFI 4bbl setup and it will do well.. But then again, it is an older SBC in the end. It would be the cheapest route to take.

But if your willing to spend the time and cash.. I would go with the GEN III/IV engine for many of the reasons stated above. Simple cam change and you alreary near 400HP that is completely streetable and well get better mileage. As stated, not as cheap as swapping the L31 engine in. But is doable on the cheap if you read the FAQ's on how to do it on the Cheap.

BC

Quick Reply: 5.7L Swap from a 1999 Chevy Express Van into a 70 Chevelle...?