View Full Version : I want an 06. Now Idk if I want a4 or m6 :/

Caseythefalcon
05-30-2012, 11:20 AM
So I have my mind set on an 06 gto. But idk if I want an a4 for a stall/cam/bolt on setup. Or an m6 for a cam/bolt on setup. Please help me decide. I have heard of stalls crafting autos into the meanest cars. But I've never driven one. I was thinking like a 3600 stall. But is it worth getting the auto. Thanks :)

silver04goat
05-30-2012, 12:44 PM
So I have my mind set on an 06 gto. But idk if I want an a4 for a stall/cam/bolt on setup. Or an m6 for a cam/bolt on setup. Please help me decide. I have heard of stalls crafting autos into the meanest cars. But I've never driven one. I was thinking like a 3600 stall. But is it worth getting the auto. Thanks :)

I have never had a stalled v8 so cant tell you what its like. I can say though that when i got my gto i felt like the manual was the better option. Nothing against auto cars just feel like the manual is more fun. A stalled auto may be more consistent if your going to be tracking it frequently but for the street id say 6 speed

TMastGTO
05-30-2012, 01:31 PM
6 speed is too much fun!:drive: The clutch is hydrolic and half as heavy as the old fox body clutches, so its not bad in town. I drive 80% in town and im in my 30's. I wouldnt trade my 6speed for a auto. But it would be nice to have 2 GTO's so I could have both ;)

If you get a manual, change the shifter or put in a solid shift handle. The stock handle is rubberized and is sloppy. If you get a Auto, dont put a huge stall in there if this is your DD, it may become annoying.

402GOAT
05-30-2012, 02:05 PM
You need to figure out what you want to do with the car first. If you really enjoy going to the drag strip, I would stay far away from a 6 speed. Very unfriendly at the track due to the IRS causing wheel hop almost every launch. You will be spending money to upgrade the rear before most other mods.

As for an auto with a stall, there is no reason to go with a small stall. They all drive the same. Go 3800 to 4000 and never look back. I'm an auto Gto and have cut 1 .5x 60 foot times and run 6.8x's in the eighth and 10.50 in 1/4 mile and am on the factory suspension and axles. Never broke one yet. I do have drag bags though.

Glenn B
05-30-2012, 03:44 PM
I think its personal preference. Some people will always like one type of transmission over another. They all have pros and cons, so it just up to you as the buyer deciding which you would rather drive in your car.
Generally I always like the stickshift option more on any vehicle i drive, so based off that i cant give you very objective answers..

Tim94gt
05-30-2012, 03:52 PM
I think its personal preference. Some people will always like one type of transmission over another. They all have pros and cons, so it just up to you as the buyer deciding which you would rather drive in your car.
Generally I always like the stickshift option more on any vehicle i drive, so based off that i cant give you very objective answers..

This.

Or you could always go auto w/ a manual valve body.

Glenn B
05-30-2012, 05:00 PM
IF the GTO had a 6-speed Auto option, I would have been more inclined to consider it as an alternative to the 6-gear stick.
I think much of my issue with autos is im not a 3 or 4 speed auto person. They seem to feel like they are in the wrong gear IMHO.
I do like the feel of the new crop of 6L80Es in the new Camaros and such. ( just saying)
You could be a pioneer and swap a 6-speed auto into your A4 Goat.....:cool:

6PntHo
05-30-2012, 06:31 PM

This.

PhantomGOAT
05-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Manual! There's just something about having complete control of your engines power at your finger tips that gets me pumped.

409CISecondGen
05-30-2012, 11:59 PM
Someone need to do a 6l90e swap with paddle shifters

Robofuzz
05-31-2012, 10:05 AM
Manual! There's just something about having complete control of your engines power at your finger tips that gets me pumped.

Bingo! :burn:

Cwarta
05-31-2012, 10:38 AM
I love the M6, alot of fun. But im a firm believe that "power" you feel at your fingertips constantly makes you want to beat on youtr car more :)

bnvus
05-31-2012, 01:32 PM
M6 is fun to drive and it saves gas too...unless you have a 416 with cam, heads, intake....

Cwarta
05-31-2012, 03:02 PM
If you plan on building the car all to shit then go A4, but if its a daily street bruiser then go M6. Either way get your ass in a GTO and they will have to practically burn it down to get you out of that seat!

thehazz12
05-31-2012, 04:22 PM
I've never ridden in an automatic version of this car, but I can tell you that I love my 6 speed. Anything in a manual is more fun than an automatic. But if you're going for the best possible drag times, you'll find that an automatic will be more consistent.

Someone need to do a 6l90e swap with paddle shifters

I actually just heard about someone in the process of doing this the other day. A buddy with an '06 a4 was telling me about it, but he didn't mention anything about the 6l90e.

ULTIMATEORANGESS
05-31-2012, 05:36 PM
i like my m6 GTO alot but i dont race it.

if i did id have a stalled auto.

GTOSE
05-31-2012, 05:51 PM
You won't regret an M6 unless you're trying to break records.

Do a good clutch, slave and master and you will have an insane amount of fun. However you do have to be aware of your rear end and axles.

Cwarta
05-31-2012, 07:12 PM
^^^^ This!

needls1bad
06-20-2012, 04:20 AM
i love my auto with the trans go shift kit but it all what u want in your car

maxcm96
07-15-2012, 08:00 PM
At one point I had both. I sold the auto and kept the 6spd. way more fun and the car feels way more energetic. It is also an easy 6spd to drive.

TriShield
07-15-2012, 11:11 PM
The manuals have monster wheel-hop so the automatic is better for drag racing. If you just want a fun car to drive around get the manual.

BSGTOLS2
07-16-2012, 12:18 AM
got an a4 and i have been impressed with the tranny....but i am heading more toward a track car

lemons12
07-16-2012, 12:34 AM
An automatic with a converter is more fun to me than a manual, for many reasons.

For me, auto by a long shot.

Anything over bolt ons I wouldn't want a manual.

LS14Winter
07-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Ive had two firebirds and now this 04 GTO. My 2000 firebird had 3400 stall, big cam, supporting bolt ons. It would lay endless amount of rubber , but I didnt really enjoy driving the car.

This M6 GTO is a pleasure to be in, puts huge smiles on my face merging on the highway and in sixth gear it sits at 1900 rpms or something and is quiet and smooth on the highway. I know lots of people have wheel hop issues with their GTO but mine doesnt hop at all... maybe my saggy springs help :-)

If your stuck in traffic jams all the time or just want to drag race then id consider the auto. Otherwise M6!

OP, one last thing. If you prefer manuals then dont compromise. I love manuals but I found a good deal on an A4 and justified it with reasons like better launches and faster more consistant E.Ts with my 2000 firebird. However I regretted it everyday I owned the car.

joeyagls1
07-20-2012, 10:10 AM
You need to figure out what you want to do with the car first. If you really enjoy going to the drag strip, I would stay far away from a 6 speed. Very unfriendly at the track due to the IRS causing wheel hop almost every launch. You will be spending money to upgrade the rear before most other mods.

As for an auto with a stall, there is no reason to go with a small stall. They all drive the same. Go 3800 to 4000 and never look back. I'm an auto Gto and have cut 1 .5x 60 foot times and run 6.8x's in the eighth and 10.50 in 1/4 mile and am on the factory suspension and axles. Never broke one yet. I do have drag bags though.

That makes me happy, you got more power than me, but have not broken anything yet, I am going to track with my new upgrades 485 at the wheels, with stock half shafts, I got four speed auto. Guess I will be ok with a hard burn out too?