Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Better light output on LS1 Camaro Fogs. ((((WARNING LARGE IMAGES))))

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 04:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightbulb Better light output on LS1 Camaro Fogs. ((((WARNING LARGE IMAGES))))

So I always wondered why the heck GM didn't do better on giving us (98-02 Camaro owners) brighter fog lights...

I hate the fact that instead of using real projector fogs they made some crappy *** fogs with a shield inside to give them the projector look. I ended up opening the fog lights by removing the lens with a small flat head screw driver (ones to open up watches with) be very careful because the lens can easily crack (use a heat gun if you have one in handy), then remove all the silicon with a razor blade. I would recomend since the lense is out clean it with some meguiars ultimate compound, then there's a shield in the middle inside the fog light, all you have to do is push it in from the sides and it should pop out,*also what i would recommend would be to go to any auto zone or even on Amazon.com and buy one of those aerosol chrome paint cans and spray the inside* no matter what it will be brighter since you will be removing the shield that blocks off light output. after you do the last steps just simply apply clear silicon or use a silicon glue gun... all done, try it out and post up your results and feedback on here. '''

Old 05-31-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

Very interesting
Old 05-31-2012, 05:31 PM
Launching!

i will post up pictures of before and after later tonight
Old 05-31-2012, 05:50 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The shield is there for a reason. It provides the cut off. These are real projectors, not fake. They are just low quality. With age and use, the lens has gotten pitted and the chrome burned off.

You should put the shield back if you want a proper fog light beam. It will take some adjustment to get a good cut-off again since you removed it.

On the issue of the damaged chrome, you two options: 1) have it re-chromed (more expensive than replacing the projector), or 2) you can use "chrome" paint (not nearly as good as actual chrome, but cheaper than new projectors).

Honestly, your best bet is new projectors. Hella makes a set that is almost the same size and fairly easy to install. If you want a set that is nearly identical to the stock ones, take a look at "Blazer" fog lights. They are cheap and use the same bulb as stock. However, their just as delicate as the stock ones (possible more so).

HID kits have been known to damage the chrome in the 1998-2002 Camaro fog light projectors & "Blazer" projectors. Especially 55watt since these are such small projectors.

Here are some installs:

Hella Micro DE:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...my-z-pics.html

Blazer:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ogs-match.html

If you get the Blazer projectors, watch out for knock-offs on ebay that use H3 bulbs. There are 2 versions the real blazer projectors and both use an 880 bulb. One version has the bulb insert from the bottom like the Camaro and the other inserts from the back like most other projectors.

Last edited by VIP1; 05-31-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by VIP1
The shield is there for a reason. It provides the cut off. These are real projectors, not fake. They are just low quality. With age and use, the lens has gotten pitted and the chrome burned off.

You should put the shield back if you want a proper fog light beam. It will take some adjustment to get a good cut-off again since you removed it.

On the issue of the damaged chrome, you two options: 1) have it re-chromed (more expensive than replacing the projector), or 2) you can use "chrome" paint (not nearly as good as actual chrome, but cheaper than new projectors).

Honestly, your best bet is new projectors. Hella makes a set that is almost the same size and fairly easy to install. If you want a set that is nearly identical to the stock ones, take a look at "Blazer" fog lights. They are cheap and use the same bulb as stock. However, their just as delicate as the stock ones (possible more so).

HID kits have been known to damage the chrome in the 1998-2002 Camaro fog light projectors & "Blazer" projectors. Especially 55watt since these are such small projectors.

Here are some installs:

Hella Micro DE:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...my-z-pics.html

Blazer:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ogs-match.html

If you get the Blazer projectors, watch out for knock-offs on ebay that use H3 bulbs. There are 2 versions the real blazer projectors and both use an 880 bulb. One version has the bulb insert from the bottom like the Camaro and the other inserts from the back like most other projectors.

your right, but this would be the cheapest way to get more light output from these stock fogs, im not worried about them loosing the "PROJECTOR" look, think about it this way, guys with Firebirds have bright *** fog lights with no projection to them(id rather have that , than hardly seeing the fogs)
Old 05-31-2012, 06:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 0235SS
your right, but this would be the cheapest way to get more light output from these stock fogs, im not worried about them loosing the "PROJECTOR" look, think about it this way, guys with Firebirds have bright *** fog lights with no projection to them(id rather have that , than hardly seeing the fogs)
I don't necessarily believe our fogs are that bright.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 0235SS
The other issue with removing the shield is the projector lens will put light everywhere and it might introduce glare to other drivers. They are low and tucked back enough that they might not.

FWIW the Camaro stock fogs are Blazer projectors. At least the ones on my old 98 had blazer stamped on them.

Aftermarket replicas are available on Rock Auto or Ebay for cheap and they actually work decently well. Better than a worn out pitted lens factory unit anyway in my experience on my old car.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
The other issue with removing the shield is the projector lens will put light everywhere and it might introduce glare to other drivers. They are low and tucked back enough that they might not.

FWIW the Camaro stock fogs are Blazer projectors. At least the ones on my old 98 had blazer stamped on them.

Aftermarket replicas are available on Rock Auto or Ebay for cheap and they actually work decently well. Better than a worn out pitted lens factory unit anyway in my experience on my old car.
they dont give out too much glare since I adjusted them to face a bit down.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:41 PM
Launching!

UPDATED PICS

BEFORE

Last edited by 0235SS; 06-04-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy cow...my eyes.That would blind a lot of cars.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:24 AM
10 Second Club

thats screaming pull me over and give me a ticket for glaring *** lights lol
Old 06-01-2012, 01:45 AM
Launching!

lol its the picture guys, but yeah keep in mind I have an HID Kit for the fogs.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:45 AM
Launching!

heres a different picture.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:41 AM
11 Second Club

Nice SS! Pictures of the light output? Against a garage, wall or something?
Old 06-01-2012, 02:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Nice SS! Pictures of the light output? Against a garage, wall or something?
thanks, dang bro sorry i didnt take one of the before (GARAGE PIC)
Old 06-01-2012, 05:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

From what I can see this looks like the exact kind of mod that pisses me off when I get blinded by your fogs. I really hope its just how the picture came out.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

It looks like it defeats the purpose of fog lights as well though, as in it will emit too much light causing your visibility in foggy conditions to be worse.
The following users liked this post:
fucter (08-07-2021)
Old 06-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You definitely need to put the shields back in or replace the projectors. That is really bad. Horrible Glare. Aiming them down will just ruin distance for you and not do much to fix the glare problem.

BTW, did you take pics of the inside of the projectors before re-installing them?

Also, the stock Camaro projector fog lights are much better than the stock Firebird reflector fog lights and respond better to HID too.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have good headlights, you don't even need the fogs. I will say having lights in the fogs looks nice. I had HIDs in my aftermarket fogs for 2 days, they made absolutely no difference in lighting up the road because I have nice headlights. If you were looking dead on at my car as everyone else on the road saw me, it was glaringly bright. It was like looking into 2 suns. I still wanted a white light to match my headlights, so I installed white LED bulbs into my fog lights. Same color, just not crazy bright.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
If you have good headlights, you don't even need the fogs. I will say having lights in the fogs looks nice. I had HIDs in my aftermarket fogs for 2 days, they made absolutely no difference in lighting up the road because I have nice headlights. If you were looking dead on at my car as everyone else on the road saw me, it was glaringly bright. It was like looking into 2 suns. I still wanted a white light to match my headlights, so I installed white LED bulbs into my fog lights. Same color, just not crazy bright.
Im probably gonna get LED Light bulbs for the fogs, (I know the fogs are too bright)

Quick Reply: Better light output on LS1 Camaro Fogs. ((((WARNING LARGE IMAGES))))