Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Ok to hot tank LS3 block/heads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ok to hot tank LS3 block/heads?

Just as it states, is it ok? I heard it's not ok on sleeved blocks, that you should use just simple soap and water.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Launching!

The words hot tank usually or used to mean a caustic soda tank. This type of tank will eat the aluminum. They do have wash tanks for aluminum and use a different type of saop and action. Kinda like an overgrown dishwasher.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wayne are just cleaning the block out or trying to get the outside to look new again?

I uses a AL cleaner I got at local outparts store that is used to clean AL trailers. Used it on several trans and the outside of a dirty L33 as well as all the AL brackets. They came out looking pretty good. IIR its called Aluma brite. Don't have the bottle in front of me its 9,000 miles away lol...
Old 06-25-2012, 12:46 AM
Launching!

I was given a 6.0 and auto trans from a burned truck. The guy knew I needed one for a mud truck (65 Mustang) and gave it to me for packing it off.

After seeing it, I joked with him about paying me to take it away, it was so bad!

After I got it to the shop, and started tearing into it, I realized it had VVT. Knowing LQ4's never had VVT, I grabbed a magnet. After finding it didn't stick, I cleaned up the VIN code and ran it. Turns out it's a L76 and the 4L70E had just been replaced under warranty not even 20k miles before the burn. Needless to say, I scored bigtime

A friend of mine up in Canada, eh, is converting a L76 to just a plain 408 and is sending me all of his take off parts. Another friend gave me a L92 loaded intake. I already have the harness and PCM sorted out

Anyway, since it was so messy, I decided to tear it apart and freshen it up with at least new bearings/seals. A buddy of mine owns a speed shop and has told me I can hot tank my stuff there for free if I'd like. So I wanted to be sure that a sleeved motor could be hot tanked before I did it.
Attached Thumbnails Ok to hot tank LS3 block/heads?-001-copy.jpg   Ok to hot tank LS3 block/heads?-002-2-copy.jpg   Ok to hot tank LS3 block/heads?-011-copy.jpg  
Old 06-25-2012, 09:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How long did that thing burn? There's another thread on here about trying to use a motor that's been in a fire and that the block could be distorted.

Back to your question, there is a different chemical and method to hot tanking aluminum pieces compared to cast iron.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
How long did that thing burn? There's another thread on here about trying to use a motor that's been in a fire and that the block could be distorted.

Back to your question, there is a different chemical and method to hot tanking aluminum pieces compared to cast iron.
Not sure, but it got hot enough to distort the oil pan... Do you have the thread handy?

I can see GM dealer service records based on the VIN. About 6 months before the burn, customer complained of tranny fluid leak and they rebuilt the front diff. I wasn't there, but I bet it was a power steering leak that wasn't fixed and caused the fire. The fire was down below the motor, on the left side.

Since I have the VIN, I did a quick google and found the truck at the auction. lol And the pictures confirmed the hottest part of the fire...

http://www.salvage-cars-for-sale.inf...07-MjM4Nzk5MzE

I love that they list 'burn' as the color. lol
Old 06-25-2012, 10:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a link to the thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...blazer-ss.html
Old 06-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Thanks!
Reading the thread. Quite comical, to say the least.

If my motor is fine, his definitely is. Mine had melted parts on it... The Alt. had started to melt and so did the front accessory mount and oil pan. Mine had direct fire, not his.

I've got to get UPS taken care of before he shows, but I'll definitely keep reading that thread and put my two cents in
Old 06-25-2012, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure the friends hot tank dosent have caustic soda detergent, it will attack the aluminum. You need the correct cleaning agent in your tank.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 427 zeo6
Make sure the friends hot tank dosent have caustic soda detergent, it will attack the aluminum. You need the correct cleaning agent in your tank.
I'll ask and make sure.

Thanks for the help guys!!!

Quick Reply: Ok to hot tank LS3 block/heads?