LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

350 cc306 AFR PCM tuning thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 350 cc306 AFR PCM tuning thread

Ok I'm going to tune!

First question: I searched wideband o2 datamaster to find a how-to on installing to log with A/C input but could not find the thread. I'd like to know how and what's the best sensor to run? Placement in my collector? Two sensors or one?

Thank you!
Old 06-01-2012, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i found the thread a few years ago on camaroz28.com
it is called: Logging wideband O2 with stock PCM and Datamaster – WRITEUP

one of the requirements is a wideband that provides linear 0-5V analog output. the AEM wideband is popular

you should have the sensor as close as possible. several friends run it in the collector near the O2 bung and having only one side is fine. personally mine is run at the merge in the Y-pipe as i was more concerned about WOT. i dont know anyone ballin enough to run 2 sensors.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am using a Dynojet Wideband Commander and here is a link to the instructions I used to get it working. http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/comp...riteup-535603/
Old 06-11-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Regular

Thank you
I just ordered an LC-1 kit from eBay. I will get it wired to the AC and start logging!
Old 06-12-2012, 03:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember that the o2 feedback is just a tool. Listening to the motor, and feeling the response from tuning changes are also important tools. Overlap does funky things to an o2 sensor, and it will indicate a leaner condition than the cylinder is actually seeing. I run 14.2:1 indicated at idle, who knows what the "actual" a/f is, but that's what the motor likes. I like to make a big change in A/F in each direction to see how the motor responds. Then go back to your original setting and creep in the direction of the "better" big change. I dunno if that makes sense, but it has helped me tuning large cams. Sometimes you get caught giving the motor what you think it wants, instead of going against better judgment and experimenting with "backwards" changes. Watch your MAP values closely, more vacuum (smaller kpa value) is the goal with spark and a/f changes.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck Jason! I need to get my lazy *** into learning how to tune.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Regular

OK got the tool!

Now need to wire it in

Old 06-22-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
Remember that the o2 feedback is just a tool. Listening to the motor, and feeling the response from tuning changes are also important tools. Overlap does funky things to an o2 sensor, and it will indicate a leaner condition than the cylinder is actually seeing. I run 14.2:1 indicated at idle, who knows what the "actual" a/f is, but that's what the motor likes. I like to make a big change in A/F in each direction to see how the motor responds. Then go back to your original setting and creep in the direction of the "better" big change. I dunno if that makes sense, but it has helped me tuning large cams. Sometimes you get caught giving the motor what you think it wants, instead of going against better judgment and experimenting with "backwards" changes. Watch your MAP values closely, more vacuum (smaller kpa value) is the goal with spark and a/f changes.
That's some really good info!

Quick Reply: 350 cc306 AFR PCM tuning thread