Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

A couple of questions re a 67 Firebird headliner and material

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A couple of questions re a 67 Firebird headliner and material

My cardboard material in my 67 Firebird headliner is crumbling. What is the purpose of this cardboard type material? Is it just used for insulation? Can this be removed and replaced by fatmat? Once this material is removed and replaced, what does the actuial headliner attach to? Is this glued to the metal cross members? I know there is a headliner tutorial, just looking for some quick answers. Thanks
Old 06-02-2012, 01:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi There,
The crumbling cardboard you speak of is just what you thought - insulation from noise and temperature. To completely remove this old stuff I scraped the roof with a putty knife. The stuff is nasty so lay down a sheet, I would not be surprised if it contained asbestos. After scraping there was still residue so I used Laquer thinner to finish the job. It had to be clean for the Rattle Trap to Adhere. I used rattle trap for the whole bow supports, after you get it up, the sides glue in nicely. If you need some good tips for installation let me know. ANdrew
Old 06-02-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by andysfbird
Hi There,
The crumbling cardboard you speak of is just what you thought - insulation from noise and temperature. To completely remove this old stuff I scraped the roof with a putty knife. The stuff is nasty so lay down a sheet, I would not be surprised if it contained asbestos. After scraping there was still residue so I used Laquer thinner to finish the job. It had to be clean for the Rattle Trap to Adhere. I used rattle trap for the whole bow supports, after you get it up, the sides glue in nicely. If you need some good tips for installation let me know. ANdrew
Thanks for the info...I will get back to you once I install the headliner..I bought some fatmat for my car, can I use this on the roof?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FatMat-100-S...5d273f&vxp=mtr
Old 06-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

Default Yes

this is just as well but rattletrap is a little thicker. I also did my doors with the floor insulation piece. Its about 1/4" thick! Available at rattletrap.com and is a one piece unit so you will have to cut to fit.

The headliner is quite tricky for somebody who never installed one before believe me I know. All the websites and videos about installing these guys don't prepare you for the real thing. I'm here if you need any advice.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by andysfbird
this is just as well but rattletrap is a little thicker. I also did my doors with the floor insulation piece. Its about 1/4" thick! Available at rattletrap.com and is a one piece unit so you will have to cut to fit.

The headliner is quite tricky for somebody who never installed one before believe me I know. All the websites and videos about installing these guys don't prepare you for the real thing. I'm here if you need any advice.
I bought the liquid fat mat

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270701764778...84.m1439.l2649

Ill be in touch when I get to the install stage. Thanks
Old 06-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Alright cool

Quick Reply: A couple of questions re a 67 Firebird headliner and material