LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LG motorsports coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Default LG motorsports coilovers

Well, I did an impluse buy (good way to start a thread).

Picked up a set of LG motorsports coilovers on a certain auction site. I was pricing out my suspension, which wouldve consisted of bilstein HD front shocks, BMR springs, and CE 3-way adj rear drag springs. That total wouldve been ~660$. I got the LG coilovers for cheaper, they are used w/8000mi but They are also 2300$ brand new. LG springs wrapped around bilstein shocks I guess.

Does anyone else run these? Ive been pricing parts to lower my car for awhile now, bought all the control arms and panhard rod. Springs/shocks was the last step and I couldnt pass this up. It says they come with upper control arms, they look to be stock..but possibly a coil over shock mount has been added?

Guy said spring rates were set to 550 front and 200 rear, but LG says they are adjustable right? So im hopeing I can take the rears down to atleast 180 or so? Plus I can set my ride height to whatever I want right?

Kind of leapt without looking, LG doesnt really explain them well for a 2300$ buy, and Ive never dealt with true coil overs.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:11 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spring rates are adjustable, but only by replacing the spring. You can adjust the rise height by adjusting te lower collar up or down. If you don't like the spring rates (to harsh or to soft of a ride), then you need to purchase springs with a higher or lower spring rate. On the up side, changing the spring should be easier than stock, and depending on what size the spring is eibach has a very large selection of springs in different diameters. Good luck
Old 06-03-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Ah, Im sure I can live with the 200lb rears for a bit. Strange also has a boat load, the fronts are fine at 550lb/in, the rears may need to come down to 180lb or 150lb though.

Atleast I dont have to worry about "hopeing" I like my stance, since I can make it however I want!
Old 06-03-2012, 10:05 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Exactly, you can put it as high or low as you want. The only issue I see with 200lb rears is the bounce, if the shock can't control it. Kinda like when you see a lowered civic with stock shocks and it bounces in the back end like crazy. Find a spring you like or put up with the stiff one for a bit. Maybe talk with Strano and see what he recommends as far as a spring rate for what you want it to do.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by duh
Exactly, you can put it as high or low as you want. The only issue I see with 200lb rears is the bounce, if the shock can't control it. Kinda like when you see a lowered civic with stock shocks and it bounces in the back end like crazy. Find a spring you like or put up with the stiff one for a bit. Maybe talk with Strano and see what he recommends as far as a spring rate for what you want it to do.
I would assume a $2500 coilover setup from a shop that races cars would be able to valve a shock to the springs they sell.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:14 AM
TECH Addict

^ thats what I was going to reply with haha. Its not a stock honda shock, Its a SCCA race bilstein shock.

Im just glad I didnt eat the initial 2000$, cant wait till they get here. Guess they were used by a member on here for a bit and came off a 02 SS. Im excited! been wanting to lower it for awhile, couldnt really beat this deal!

I know stranos are 150lb straight, and I think hotchkis or bmr is 180lbs progressive. thats why Id like to be more around that area.

Last edited by trilkb; 06-04-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

I just thought of something...

Do the rears need coil springs? or does the coil over replace it all and the rear springs are no longer needed? Think this is the point in time where I realize Why noone else bought these and I may have wasted money...I cant find anything on how to install them!

Last edited by trilkb; 06-04-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:55 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Coilovers replace the rear spring, you can take the stock one and pitch it.....or hang on to it just in case. The only issue I see is the shock mounting on the axle not being very strong. I personally think 200 for the rear is a bit high, but that's just me. The rear of the car doesn't weigh that much and all it will do is provide for a very stiff ride and no suspension movement, which is good to a certain point. As for the install, it should be very straight forward, remove the fronts and replace with the coilovers, and in back you can take the shock and spring out and put the coilover where the stock shock goes. That is then how the car is suspended. Really not hard. If you did the cam and stall in your car you can handle the suspension stuff without a problem.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Yea I did the cam and stall myself. Im not really scared of the suspension, Just hopeing I have all the right parts. Ive learned engine stuff isnt really to bad people make a cam swap out to be more then it is. Same with dropping a transmission Ive learned. But suspension ALWAYS sucks. freaking tie rods and bushings, ball joints..easily the worst part of working on a car! mainly because they throw metals together that shouldnt be, and then it all gets hit with elements from the road and rusts. Im sure Ill be cutting ****.

The rears have me more worried then the fronts though. Seeing the spohn reinforcement plates for qa1's...then these just bolt up there, wondering If I should rig something up for added support.

Thing better handle like its on rails, this is pretty serious suspension stuff Id like to think?
Old 06-04-2012, 11:46 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Coilovers are designed to be the ultimate in adjustability. Putting them on the street is not what they were designed for, but they will work. For the price you got them, I wouldn't complain too much. I would consider doing something to reinforce the rearend mounts, only because your car probably weighs about 500-1000 lbs more than the "track only" car they were originally designed for. That means more stress on the mounting points. Plus tracks are typically fairly smooth and not pothole laden. As long as you think things out, you will not have any issues.

Quick Reply: LG motorsports coilovers