Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Save an LS1...Help me get this thing started!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 01:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Save an LS1...Help me get this thing started!

I've been struggling with getting my '69 camaro ls1 swap started for the last week and a half. I haven't posted because I figured I would look through everything I can find first....so here I am. The LS1 won't run.

What I did: I have a donor car that I removed the engine, t56 trans, harness, and computer from. I removed all the pins from the harness and cut out anything I didn't need.

Removed:
egr
cruise,
a/c
rear o2's
skip shift
fuel level
fuel tank pressure
evap purge solenoid
evap canister vent

I've checked for 12v power in ignition and start(cranking motor) at coils, injectors, crank position sensor, cam position sensor, maf

Used hptuners to delete vats, rear o2's, egr, skip shift

Hptuners is not getting any signal from crank or cam sensors--I even replaced both of them and still nothing. I've also verified the connectors are pushed in all the way--still no spark and I can't verify injectors are squirting.

computer has constant and ign power--computer is sending signal to fuel pump.

Fuel pressure is good.

I'm so lost... this has to be something totally stupid. Tonight I hooked up the MIL and it stays constant in ign on mode, but no DLC's are detected. Thought maybe the computer was fried, but threw it in another car and started right up.

Please help!!! I'm losing my mind

Last edited by barryp; 06-04-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:21 AM
Teching In

I should note that the resistance between block, battery, and ecu grounds is 0.3 ohms
Old 06-04-2012, 02:29 AM
TECH Resident

hook up a nood tester on the injector to see if you have pulse but im guessing you wont beacuse no cam and crank singal.

are you sure you wired the harness right?

it sounds like you did everything i would think of checking all powers.
replace the crank and cam sensor. the only thing is the harness

i would check contunity between the cam and crank sensor pigtail and the ecu conector and make sure you have them right

the only other thing is you forgot a ground or power wire on the ecu.

im just throwing out ideas so dont shoot me
Old 06-04-2012, 02:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tt383lt1
hook up a nood tester on the injector to see if you have pulse but im guessing you wont beacuse no cam and crank singal. I don't have a noid tester, but I doubt I'll see anything either based on hptuners not showing anything... Perhaps I can find a noid tester. I'll keep u posted

are you sure you wired the harness right? Well I'm guessing not at this point lol

it sounds like you did everything i would think of checking all powers.
replace the crank and cam sensor. the only thing is the harness

i would check contunity between the cam and crank sensor pigtail and the ecu conector and make sure you have them right I've already done just that. I disconnected the large connectors from the ecu and tested for continuity between the sensor connector and pins. Pins to crank and cam sensor are correct. Before I removed any pin, I labeled each one to minimize the chance of this happening...ughhhh

the only other thing is you forgot a ground or power wire on the ecu. I've checked all grounds. Ign power to pin 19 and the two oranges are in.

im just throwing out ideas so dont shoot me Not at all man, I appreciate the reply... I'm struggling with this swap and could use any help I can get to get this thing going
My reply is within quote.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

MAF sensor connected and not installed in intake tube?Don't ask about how much grief that caused me when it wouldn't start...
Old 06-04-2012, 03:49 AM
Teching In

Since you had a donor car, did you start and run this engine before you pulled it?
Old 06-04-2012, 05:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have these grounds connected, also?
Attached Thumbnails Save an LS1...Help me get this thing started!-pcm-power-ground.gif  
Old 06-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tfi racing
MAF sensor connected and not installed in intake tube?Don't ask about how much grief that caused me when it wouldn't start...
Yupp... Still in the stock tube. The Intake air temp is connected but just hanging next to maf. I'll post up pics today, I'm loosing sleep on this thing lol

Originally Posted by chuckmc8
Since you had a donor car, did you start and run this engine before you pulled it?
Yupp, ran like a champ 2 months ago! The donor car was still drivable.

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
Do you have these grounds connected, also?
Yupp, I'll post up some pics of everything today. I'm also going to re-trace every ground I have hooked up at get it labeled.

Last edited by barryp; 06-04-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You may have answered this already, so I appologize if you have, but do you have a tachometer signal, either on a tach or on a scanner? Also, did you check the injector pulse with a test light or noid light?

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 06-04-2012, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

I wasnt getting a Maf signal and found the pin at my ecm connector backed out when i bolted it to the ecm due to it not locking in place when i un-pinned the connectors. If you know its the crank and cam signals, Pull your diagram and continuity/ohm check the wires end to end . You ruled out the ecm and sensors being the problem . Gotta be the wiring . Without the crank signal i doubt it will fire or pulse the injectors .
Old 06-04-2012, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy way to see if it is firing is to try some ether. If it runs on ether then the ignition side is ok.

Mine fired right up but runs like crap.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Emdmechanic
I wasnt getting a Maf signal and found the pin at my ecm connector backed out when i bolted it to the ecm due to it not locking in place when i un-pinned the connectors. If you know its the crank and cam signals, Pull your diagram and continuity/ohm check the wires end to end . You ruled out the ecm and sensors being the problem . Gotta be the wiring . Without the crank signal i doubt it will fire or pulse the injectors .
I'm going to continuity check every pin to it's correct destination right now. We'll see.. I'm also going to disconnect every ground except for coils, inj, and computer and work backwards verifying that everything I have grounded is supposed to be grounded.

I told my girlfriend I wasn't going to shower until this car is running... should be interesting lol

attached is a pic of the stubborn ls1
Attached Thumbnails Save an LS1...Help me get this thing started!-img_0702-med.jpg  
Old 06-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Wwaaaahoooooo!!!!! I had lengthened the crank position sensor, soldered the wires together, heat shrunk them...then heat shrunk the three together. Before I was testing the connector pin to computer and not testing for continuity between the leads.. turns out there was a pinhole in the blue and yellow wires from them being sandwiched together where they were connecting. Split them apart and it fired right up!

Big thanks to everyone that posted... you guys got me to test pin to computer again and thats when I noticed the bridge!!! I owe you all!!!
Old 06-04-2012, 07:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bet your girlfriend is glad! go take a shower...
Old 06-04-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by barryp
...attached is a pic of the stubborn ls1
Is it me, or is your master cylinder upside down?
Old 06-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

at least you only had to go 2 hrs without a shower...
Old 06-05-2012, 01:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Is it me, or is your master cylinder upside down?
LOL yea, my hydroboost was leaking fluid everywhere and the place I ordered aeroquip tfe hose sent me aqp rubber instead so I haven't ran the lines yet.

don't worry, I'll turn it upright before I try to stop
Old 06-05-2012, 01:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS102ws6
at least you only had to go 2 hrs without a shower...
I was actually on day 2 without a shower... so even I'm glad I got it running. She was even happier lol

Quick Reply: Save an LS1...Help me get this thing started!