General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Oil Filter Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Filter Question

So recently I have been wondering about oil filter change intervals. I'm sure we've all seen synthetic oils that "guarantee" engine protection up to 7500,10k, and even 15k miles. The oils may or may not protect up to that mileage that's not what I'm wondering.

I'm wondering if the oil filters can last that long. On "x" filter you may see 99.9% efficiency or 98.6% efficiency. Does that efficiency remain the same throughout the entire filter life or does it slowly diminish. And if it does is there a general rule as to when the filter becomes bad.

I hope all of this makes sense. Any opinions/facts are welcome.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ill tell you the easy and beat thing to do change synthetic oil and filter every 3 months or 3000 miles
Old 06-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Teching In

No Filter will last that long! Neither will the oil! You're Crazy if your keeping the oil in your engine for 7500 miles! Racing around town in the traffic Heat and haulin ****? That's just Dumb! If you can't afford the oil & Filter don't drive!
Old 06-04-2012, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I definitely understand the 3000 miles thing. My DD gets every 3500 miles oil and filter.

I know the best thing to do but I'm not wanting to spend ~$50 or more every oil change when I could easily go 7500 miles or more on the oil.

I've seen multiple oil tests backing up the claims of 7500-10k miles but noone ever talks about the filters life.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Teching In

You Can't afford it? Holy SH!&! Tests? Yeah the test is gonna favor the tested! LOL If you think said test is real! Just Like our own Government right? You believe everything they say!
Old 06-04-2012, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I never said I couldn't afford it. I can believe me. I simply asked if anyone had any opinion/facts on how long an oil filter was good for.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

When you change your oil you are giving in more lubrication which is less wear and tear. Also gets out shavings or particles in the oil. The more you change it the longer the motor lastest.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The tests are independant labs Blackstone in particular that I sent my OWN personal oil to so there you go and those synthetics that claim engine protection to 7500-15k miles do seem to hold up based upon my own experience.

The OIL life isn't the debate here. The FILTER is what I'm interested in.

Oh BTW that whole 3k/3 month was clever marketing 50+ yrs. ago for the oil manufacturers to make more money PERIOD.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well depending on how many particles of dust get through the air filter or small shvings. I would trust a wix filter for 10k
Old 06-04-2012, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigBirdLS1
The tests are independant labs Blackstone in particular that I sent my OWN personal oil to so there you go and those synthetics that claim engine protection to 7500-15k miles do seem to hold up based upon my own experience.

The OIL life isn't the debate here. The FILTER is what I'm interested in.

Oh BTW that whole 3k/3 month was clever marketing 50+ yrs. ago for the oil manufacturers to make more money PERIOD.
I have 298xxx miles on my camary changing the oil that way. Grandpa did it since new to 250xxx and i have did it the reat of the way. if i did it every 5000 it wouldnt have lasted and still run this good and doesnt burn oil. Also when you have a expensive ls9 modified motor in a car you want to make sure its good.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know that it is a moot point but you can't definitively say that your Camrys engine would or would not have lasted this long if you didnt change it every 3k.

I agree 100% that you didn't hurt anything though.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have done 8k intervals with my car when i did lots of hwy driving. used m1 synthetic for the most part. oci really depend on individual use.

btw my car now has 143k on it, and runs like new
Old 06-04-2012, 04:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

I've owned some fine German cars in the past and the oil filters will last longer than you think. My 911 (genuine Porsche oil filters; 2 of them in these cars) lasted 10,000 miles+ easily. No issues BUT as every owner stated, why take the chance? Change the filters with the oil change. For the past 16 years of Fbody ownership I have used GM oil filters, and now Wix filters, in both my '96 Formula and '01 Trans Am. I have never bypassed changing the oil filter even though I probably could have. For $5 or $6 or whatever you pay for your oil filters, it just isn't worth leaving them on there for 10,000 or more miles. I don't rack up much mileage on my cars but everything is changed at least once a year or 4,000 - 5,000 miles. My cars are not driven hard, usually highway or cruising miles, but if they were hard traffic oriented miles I would probably change more frequently, and the filter would never be left on. Too inexpensive to even consider.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I've owned some fine German cars in the past and the oil filters will last longer than you think. My 911 (genuine Porsche oil filters; 2 of them in these cars) lasted 10,000 miles+ easily. No issues BUT as every owner stated, why take the chance? Change the filters with the oil change. For the past 16 years of Fbody ownership I have used GM oil filters, and now Wix filters, in both my '96 Formula and '01 Trans Am. I have never bypassed changing the oil filter even though I probably could have. For $5 or $6 or whatever you pay for your oil filters, it just isn't worth leaving them on there for 10,000 or more miles. I don't rack up much mileage on my cars but everything is changed at least once a year or 4,000 - 5,000 miles. My cars are not driven hard, usually highway or cruising miles, but if they were hard traffic oriented miles I would probably change more frequently, and the filter would never be left on. Too inexpensive to even consider.
Agree, sorry, I forgot to mention that I changed my filter with the oil at 8k miles.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Sure changing it at 3000 miles makes the oil company/filter maker richer.

But your also protecting your engine and keeping it sludge free.

Synthetic and a Wix here at 3000 miles always.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree on all points that it is best to change your oil every 3k miles. I am not disputing that. But from my experience it isn't exactly necessary. The used oil analysis that I have done. (15 or so analysis) it has shown only nominal differences in oil condition from 3000 miles up to 10k on one oil change. That is full synthetic also.

So far it looks like your filter will really last as long as you need it to. Within reason of course I'm not oblivious to the fact that the filter will need changed and I do one every time I change the oil.

Still I haven't seen any opinions or facts regarding the filter itself.

The sludge that has been mentioned isn't there because of not changing your oil on the exactly 3k rule. It is from the oil that is in your engine breaking down over mileage/time. We all know this, and answer me this : If I have seen zero difference in oil life going 3k miles exactly to going 10k so why change it at the 3k mark?

And I recently pulled the factory 87k mile heads off my LS1 and I have zero sludge and all the heads are clean as they should be. In fact the speed shop that pulled the heads asked if the odometer was right because they said that it looked more like a 50k engine than the mileage it actually was. I guess I am doing something right.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just with my own car, I have recently found it to be a waste of money to change perfectly good synthetic oil every 3k, so I disagree with everyone in here condoning that. Both the oil and average filter can last 5-7k no problem, a lot of times you can even go beyond that. That 3k oil change interval is from many years ago. Also, why would anyone even consider going through the trouble of changing the oil and then keeping the same old filter on there?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Just with my own car, I have recently found it to be a waste of money to change perfectly good synthetic oil every 3k, so I disagree with everyone in here condoning that. Both the oil and average filter can last 5-7k no problem, a lot of times you can even go beyond that. That 3k oil change interval is from many years ago. Also, why would anyone even consider going through the trouble of changing the oil and then keeping the same old filter on there?

You sir are understanding what I am saying. I have personally gone 7500 miles on two different types of full synthetic and based upon the oil analysis I received from Blackstone I had 89% and 91% oil life on the oil that I had just drained.

Of course I ALWAYS change the filter when I change the oil. I guess my question is even though the oil will (scientifically proven) last 7500 miles when does the filter become a liability. Is there any data that shows a filters life expectancy?
Old 06-05-2012, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess noone knows how long a filter is good for. Do we all assume the filter is as good as long as we need it to be...
Old 06-05-2012, 05:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigBirdLS1
I guess noone knows how long a filter is good for. Do we all assume the filter is as good as long as we need it to be...
The filter is going to be nasty after 7500 miles. Cut it in half and see for yourself. If it gets clogged the bypass valve in the filter will open and circulate unfiltered oil which can cause premature engine wear. Not worth it IMO.

If you want to change the oil in longer intervals I'd still recommend replacing the filter(filled w/ clean oil) every 3K miles.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Question