View Full Version : LS6 CTS-V vs G8 GT Reliability/Maintenance

Raoul-Duke
06-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Okay guys here is the situation. I am looking to sell my 2001 Z28 and pick up something a little more practical. I graduated last year and am working now, I was going to keep my Z28 and pick up a dd, but I always have wanted a vette, so down the road I am shooting for that.

In the mean time I need something until then, I still need something with some balls and it comes down to these two. (GM for life)

I am looking for past experience from past/present owners of these two cars.

{LS6 CTSV compared to the G8 GT}

I am not concerned one bit about performance but I am concerned about what car is better in the long run in terms of things breaking down.

I used to have a 2004 GTO and got rid of the car with 39k on it because of front suspension bushing issues, the radio was crapping out on me, power seats were failing. It was not a pleasant experience that I DO not want to repeat.

The G8 does worry me considering my past experience with Australian cars but I have never owned a G8 so I am open to all suggestions.

My main concern with the two cars is: (Transmission longevity (G8) suspension issues, electronical issues, navigation issues (CTSV) Brembo brake replacement (CTSV) and every little thing in between.

PLEASE tell of any serious design flaws that plague either of these cars, this is what I would like to know and hopefully at the end of our discussion I can choose one of them...

Thank you all in advance, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your input.

itsslow98
06-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Every bushing in the CTS-V is pure shit, rear diff's are somewhat reliable at best even under stock power, brakes are expensive and the navigation in the V sucks. Once you get that stuff out of the way they are pretty reliable.

G8s I have seen with lifter issues due to the DOD. They also take I believe 9 quarts of oil so oil changes are expensive as shit.

Id go G8 GT if I did it again. It will also hold its value a lot better then the V if you plan to sell in a few years. The first gen Vs are gonna be on par with fbody value int he next year or two.

yooperLS6
06-04-2012, 10:10 PM
What is your budget? If you are single, get the Caddy.
The Brembo brakes on the CTSV are fantastic and easy to change:)

Raoul-Duke
06-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Every bushing in the CTS-V is pure shit, rear diff's are somewhat reliable at best even under stock power, brakes are expensive and the navigation in the V sucks. Once you get that stuff out of the way they are pretty reliable.

G8s I have seen with lifter issues due to the DOD. They also take I believe 9 quarts of oil so oil changes are expensive as shit.

Id go G8 GT if I did it again. It will also hold its value a lot better then the V if you plan to sell in a few years. The first gen Vs are gonna be on par with fbody value int he next year or two.

I was afraid of most of that, so you are saying the rear end in the cts-v is satisfactory under stock power but not much more? And you never had any problems with any other electrical things (heated seats, etc)

Are there any good aftermarket bushings out there that fix that problem?

Also I apologize for being a noob but what is DOD? I have heard of the term in regards to the G8 but lack the knowledge..

Thanks

What is your budget? If you are single, get the Caddy.
The Brembo brakes on the CTSV are fantastic and easy to change:)

Thanks! I'm looking to spend 20-23k, any other issues you ever have with yours?

meatyCTS-V
06-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Brakes aren't that expensive on the V.

$450 shipped to your door from Brake motive for 4 rotors and pads all around. I'm not sure how that's considered "expensive."

Differential issues... My Sat-Nav crashes all the time. My TPMS is on the fritz, etc.

You should lean more towards an LS2 CTS-V. Better upgrade path, and better diffs from the start. And some can still be found with warranty under CPO.

I don't know anything about the G8's reliability or issues with them. Just know my '04 V seems to be developing more issues.

-meaty

Raoul-Duke
06-04-2012, 10:48 PM

$450 shipped to your door from Brake motive for 4 rotors and pads all around. I'm not sure how that's considered "expensive."

Differential issues... My Sat-Nav crashes all the time. My TPMS is on the fritz, etc.

You should lean more towards an LS2 CTS-V. Better upgrade path, and better diffs from the start. And some can still be found with warranty under CPO.

I don't know anything about the G8's reliability or issues with them. Just know my '04 V seems to be developing more issues.

-meaty

How many miles are on it if you dont mind me asking

itsslow98
06-04-2012, 10:53 PM
I was afraid of most of that, so you are saying the rear end in the cts-v is satisfactory under stock power but not much more? And you never had any problems with any other electrical things (heated seats, etc)

Are there any good aftermarket bushings out there that fix that problem?

Also I apologize for being a noob but what is DOD? I have heard of the term in regards to the G8 but lack the knowledge..

Thanks

My TPMS sensors all took a crap with under 60k miles on them. The navigation system was about as useful as a map book and the radio buttons peeled on the stock system at 36k miles it was horrible, i had it replaced under warranty and they were peeling again by the time i sold it with 65k.

DOD= displacement on demand. Cuts out cylinders for fuel economy.

There are definetly bushings out there to fix the issues but your talking a lot of money in bushings alone between motor mounts, trans mount, shifter bushings and diff mount plus a lot in labor if you pay someone to do it.

I had my diff replaced under warranty and didnt really have a problem other then horrendous wheel hop in the rain or at the track. I did put an aftermarket anti-hop axle in and that helped on the street but not the rain or track. The wheel hop and diff in general were the main reason I sold the car because there are no real good options to put something strong in there without getting bent over on the price.

meatyCTS-V
06-04-2012, 11:03 PM
How many miles are on it if you dont mind me asking

I'm at 102,5xxish. Just had my A/C compressor blow up, too.

-meaty

SSmokd U
06-04-2012, 11:09 PM
I've got 92k on my V and so far I have had to replace all of the bushings/mounts. Got all my stuff from Creative Steel. Max and everyone else there are amazing to work with. That has been my biggest issue. The diffs are crap but as long as you're not going crazy with it they hold up decent. Brakes are not that expensive and are super easy to work on.

DOD stands for Displacement On Demand. Basically the computer shuts part of the power down when you don't need it. Once you put the throttle down it gives you everything. I had it in an 05 Dodge Magnum R/T Hemi. It was handy but it is also something you have to figure out how to use. Do it right you can gain MPG big time. drive it wrong, meaning in a RPM range where the DOD kicks in and out a lot & you will never pass a gas station.

If you don't mind the bit of initial repair and you want a manual trans get the V. For something you can just hop in and go & for those sexy front fenders get the G8. I love the fender flares on them!

NeverSatisfied02
06-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Just look for a V with that little bullshit already done to it. Lots out there. Car vs. car... I say V. My chic has an 09 g8 gt. I like it but it's not the same. My car is much more fun to drive and I prefer it in almost every way other than wishing mine was an 09. Lol

odthetruth
06-05-2012, 12:55 AM

-meaty

450? try 250. I paid 250 for all 4 rotors and pads for this V from Brakemotive.

Satnav is crap. Doesn't crash on me... just doesn't seem to be able to unfuck itself half the time.

I have an LS2 CTS-V with 126k+ miles on it. It was 100% stock when I picked it up... down to still having the CAGS on it. That was close to 20k ago.

Motor mounts, trans mount, swaybar bushings...
Thats basically all the maintenance I've had to do, with the exception of the engine rear seal, which i noticed leaking when I changed my clutch out.

I went UMIs vs stock mounts, and got a good deal on a CS trans mount on here. Car is otherwise in perfect shape. I have no interior problems. All my seats work, AC works, buttons all work... etc

People complain about the UMI vibration... etc... Its nothing life or death IMO. They are solid mounts that I won't have to touch anytime soon. Not like the stock mounts where you're changing them out every year.

NeverSatisfied02
06-05-2012, 01:35 AM
Unrelated but how do you guys like the brakemotive rotors and pads? Had a buddy order some rotors and pads from another site for $450 that were anodized black and look really nice. Think it was brakeperformance.com or something like that. I dont know. He said they had really good reviews for being quality parts so he chose them over brakemotive. I have heard of anyone having issues with the brakemotive brakes though...

odthetruth
06-05-2012, 01:49 AM
I haven't had any real issues with them at all. They are holding up real well, considering the abuse I put em thru. No squealing or noise out of them either. Running their pads and rotors. Haven't noticed an increase in performance, but not a decrease either. They have about the same feel as stockers.

NeverSatisfied02
06-05-2012, 02:07 AM
Thats fine with me. Thats the route ill be going. And... if im that concerned with the centers of the rotors rusting or turning color, ill just spray them with some high temp black paint before i install them.

SSmokd U
06-05-2012, 07:33 AM
Thats fine with me. Thats the route ill be going. And... if im that concerned with the centers of the rotors rusting or turning color, ill just spray them with some high temp black paint before i install them.

That's what I'm gonna do. If you do, make sure you use Rustoleum's BBQ grill paint. The guy from brakemotive said it works best!

Onefast V
06-05-2012, 08:39 AM

the center of the brakemotive rotors should not rust as they are already coated.

BudRacing
06-05-2012, 08:53 AM
Just look for a V with that little bullshit already done to it. Lots out there. Car vs. car... I say V. My chic has an 09 g8 gt. I like it but it's not the same. My car is much more fun to drive and I prefer it in almost every way other than wishing mine was an 09. Lol

This.^^
With your budget you should be able to find a V with the issues already addressed. If I were to buy all over again, this would be the route I'd take.

However, if you're financing, good luck finding a V the bank will approve.

Raoul-Duke
06-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Well I appreciate everything you guys have said. I am prob going to post a similar thread in the G8 section and see what they say. I really do not want to get a STI lol

NeverSatisfied02
06-05-2012, 12:49 PM
STI's are bad ass little cars. I just can't take them seriously when I'm looking for a new ride. Just too small and compact for me. I'm 6'0 and a solid 235 lbs. Me fitting in a little car like that (although I've driven them and they are fun) would be a major pain in the ass to do daily. Those cars are for the shorter and smaller folks.. Lol

lollygagger8
06-05-2012, 01:09 PM
STI's are bad ass little cars. I just can't take them seriously when I'm looking for a new ride. Just too small and compact for me. I'm 6'0 and a solid 235 lbs. Me fitting in a little car like that (although I've driven them and they are fun) would be a major pain in the ass to do daily. Those cars are for the shorter and smaller folks.. Lol

^Yes, this^ lol

Gabbiani
06-05-2012, 01:45 PM
My WRX is damn near the same in external dimensions (except width) and I have to slide the seat about halfway forward to reach the pedals. I'm 6' and have way more head room in the wrx than I do in any of my gm vehicles.

Subaru plug aside. I had no issue financing my V with the bank. I don't see why it would be a problem. I looked at some G8s. There are things I def like about them. Found the interior, ride, performance was better on the V. I don't think you will find a g8 in your price range.

CamminV6
06-05-2012, 01:50 PM
owned both, would buy the V over the G8 all day every day regardless of any above mentioned issues. even Honda's have problems lol

NeverSatisfied02
06-05-2012, 01:51 PM
He could find a g8 within his budget. My girl and i found her black 09 g8 gt loaded out with everything other than sunroof in minty clean condition at a local dealer and it had just 24k miles for $23k OTD and that was over a year ago.

CTSV_510
06-05-2012, 01:56 PM
I consider my V to be very reliable, even after all the modifications I've done. The only things I NEEDED to fix/address since I took ownership at 36k miles almost 5 years ago:

-Front Rotors and pads all around (standard maintenance)
-throttle body replaced (not common, I was unlucky and my actuator died)
-fuel pump sender & pump (not common, mine fried possibly related to the boost a pump)
-motor mounts (common, the stockers are shit)

I chose to replace the front diff bushing, dual mass flywheel and clutch, and some shifter bushings to reduce drivetrain play and clunk. None of those were necessary but it made everything feel better. The stock clutches are pretty strong and tend to last quite long for most - mine was still holding 450rwhp strong when I replaced it at 75k miles. Many others hit 100k + on the stock clutch without issues.

You can most certainly find a V with all of those things addressed for under $20k, which leaves room in your budget to save for the vette.

There is a lot of talk around here about the rear differentials, but I can tell you that I have daily driven my V for almost 5 years and 40k miles, most of which was at ~450 rwhp, and I've been to the track and have had zero issues with the differential. I did have my dealer replace the original diff with the latest version (4) back in '08 only because I had a hookup at the dealer and was able to basically tell them what I wanted replaced. I was about to put the supercharger on so I took the opportunity to replace the original diff for free. I also don't have wheel hop except maybe in the rain and I don't have any anti-wheelhop kits installed, just the FG2 upgraded factory shocks, which I believe help. I have relatively sticky tires and even with the VHT compound at Maple Grove, no wheel hop. I don't see the need to be driving fast enough in the rain to encounter wheelhop, and so have only seen it a couple of times over 5 years.

Maybe I'm lucky and have a one of a kind V without rear end problems, but I believe it is a lot about how you treat (and beat) your car. There are a whole bunch of people that have busted rears, but also a whole bunch that have never had a problem.

Regarding suspension, my original FG2 shocks were still in good shape after 75k miles, enough to sell to another forum member. Everyone may not get that life out of them because it seems like others have complained they die young, but it was not my experience. The sway bar bushings seem to get beat up over the years, but that's a $30 & 30 min fix that will probably last the rest of the time you have the car.

Electrically everything works fine still with no issues except the freak fuel pump issue I had that I mentioned earlier. The whole radio, nav, power heated seats, every button, I've never had a problem with any of them.

The NAV is not the most user friendly, but I've found that it works fine when I need it.

I can't comment on the G8 but I'm sure it's a great car too. I'd say you are at least down to a point where you can't really go wrong with either option. Once you've driven both you'll have a better idea of which way you want to lean.

Raoul-Duke
06-05-2012, 02:00 PM

^Yes, this^ lol

Totally agree, plus their interior looks super cheap and plain.

However where do they stand as far as reliability? You dont see many near 100k

etcts-v
06-05-2012, 02:29 PM
I bought an '04 LS6 CTS-V three years ago for $18,500. Today's bluebook on the car is $18,686 so I'm not sure I agree with the statement that it will not hold it's value, especially if you look for a car with the bushings replaced and even better an upgraded rear end.

I just replaced the motor mounts, trans mounts and shifter bushings on mine with RevShift mounts and it only set me back $250 ($200 for motor & trans, $50 for shifter bushings & T-56 cup). CS has rear trans mounts that are less than $100 so we're not talking big cash for some of the reliability work.

Only other issues I've had were one TPMS sensor went out which cost me $50 and a new radiator which was leaking at the seals (also a common issue). I did replace the NAV unit with an aftermarket one mainly because I tore all the BOSE crap out, but I agree with everyone else that the stock NAV system is completly worthless in terms of useability.

The main issue I see with these cars is the weak rear end. Although I've had zero issues mine, all the horror stories have me super paranoid about aggressive driving. I believe you can replace it with the later model improved rear end for like $1,500 but I could be wrong on that.

Everything else about the car I love 100%, just itching for when the V2 comes down into the $30k range so I can pick one up! :drive:

Skidmarcx
06-05-2012, 02:36 PM
I vote for the V... I'd rather bear the caddy emblem over Pontiac, but that's just me... If you find one that isn't beat to hell and you don't drive like a jackass you should be fine in terms of reliability... Like the others said just look for one with the mentioned items addressed

Greed4Speed
06-05-2012, 02:49 PM
I'd shop for both and get the one that was the best deal with the fewest miles. There are pros and cons to each.

NeverSatisfied02
06-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Good point. I haven't seen too many STI's with higher mileage unless they've had the motor rebuilt at some point. Leads me to believe modding them shortens their life by a pretty good bit. And yes, their interiors are cheap and shitty looking.

The V's hold their value. Everything depreciates over time... just the way it goes but its not like value is tanking. I bought my original 04 V with 100k miles over 2 years ago for $12,100 and it came with an extra rear diff that i sold for $500 so i really bought the car for $11,600. Was not perfect by anymeans so i put some TLC into it and made it more than presentable. It was a solid problem free car. Everything worked as it should. Only issue it had was the carrier bearing would make noise every now and then. Had not a single problem and sold it a few months ago with 129k miles on it. Even after the mods i added and changes i made to it, i drove it for over two years and not only broke even but made money when i sold it. And i find it funny when i see threads with people saying they have nothing but problems with their cars. I take car of my stuff and my high mileage V never missed a beat. It was still on the original 04 diff too. lol So dont believe what u read about them being problematic. I think that depends on the way its being driven and how well the owner takes care of their car.

The V i have now i bought from a good buddy for a GREAT price considering all the mods it has. Got it for a lot less than blue book. The only unexpected expense i've had with it so far is the new OEM front bumper cover i ordered from the dealer to replace the one i had on it that was damaged at one point and wasn't repaired correctly. Pain in the ass for sure considering i thought it was gonna be an easy re-paint and done but now its going to be perfect so i really cant complain. I'll drive this one for a year or more and break even or make money on it as well.

Its all in shopping around and finding the right deal. I personally don't like to lose money on vehicles (not like anyone does) but i spend my time waiting for the right deal and don't just jump at the first thing i see. I've owned many many many cars, bikes, trucks, etc and i have yet to lose money on a single one. Always broke even or made a little money after driving them for awhile.

DMM
06-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Bought my '04 as a GM Certified vehicle in Dec 09 with 44k miles...NAV, radiator, GEN IV diff already installed. Original owner tracked the car and sent #1 rod through the block at 42k miles, so it had a brand new LS6 crate motor installed. I got it for $19,300 on Christmas eve, its been one of the best (and most fun) cars I've ever had.

I replaced motor mounts with solid CS, headers, installed a Maggie (then uninstalled it in hopes of something better), Magnaflow exhaust, etc. Sometimes I wish I had an auto, but I would not give up the V.

meatyCTS-V
06-05-2012, 08:56 PM
450? try 250. I paid 250 for all 4 rotors and pads for this V from Brakemotive.

Damn, was it $250? That's even cheaper than I remember lol

I bought them a year ago... they're still in my living room!

I'm just gonna throw this out here for the OP.

http://www.asankacars.com/web/used/Cadillac-CTS-V-2004-Sarasota-Florida/3815124/

It's in Florida, but just to give him an idea of what the market's like.

-meaty

the owl
06-06-2012, 01:25 AM
My v is a 05 I think it is reliable at 142k.

That being said it has new motor/tranny mounts, diff out of a 07, new nav buttons etc.

I'd even sell it if your interested.

lollygagger8
06-06-2012, 07:44 AM
I've modded my V pretty well, and I'll have to say it's one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned, even modded as much as I have. I think the only real drawbacks are maybe the battery and the rear end. <- only because I've drained a few batteries over the winter (cuz I was stupid and left it in while car sits all winter) and I blew up the first gen diff (which several have because of wheelhop) but all you need to do is get Gforce axles, and rid yourself of the problem. Oh, and the Nav sucks, but who doesn't just use their phone for that nowadays?

What car doesn't have drawbacks though, really?

I love my V, and for the price they can be had nowadays.....you cannot go wrong with one. Others have said it already, and I'll confirm.....most fun I've ever had with a car. Plus the ladies love it, and that's all that really matters lol.

garrettg
06-06-2012, 09:45 AM
My V has been solid just little things like the diff whines(3rd and 4th diff variants). 5 gear whines(rebuilt then later replaced trans).

Anybody know how to keep the getrag from whining between 55 and 70mph in top gear?

NeverSatisfied02
06-06-2012, 11:34 AM
The Nav sucks balls. I dont even attempt to use it anymore. My iphone does a much better job of getting me where i want to go.

lollygagger8
06-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Anybody know how to keep the getrag from whining between 55 and 70mph in top gear?

Ya, replace it.

NeverSatisfied02
06-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Ya, replace it.

Or turn the radio up...

BudRacing
06-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Heat shielding from the exhaust helped mine, but that's not guaranteed for all diffs.

garrettg
06-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Ya, replace it.

The 4th gen has 20k on it and it's less than a year old. I got more mileage out of my last set of summer tires.

I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow since it was installed as a warranty fix but dang 15k when the whine started which is barely any miles for somebody who drives the car on the highway a lot.

garrettg
06-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Heat shielding from the exhaust helped mine, but that's not guaranteed for all diffs.

Any links to what heat shielding you speak of? I remember seeing a picture on a random post of this concept but if you have the info handy.

BudRacing
06-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Something like this should work
http://www.amazon.com/DEI-050501-Floor-Tunnel-Shield/dp/B000E243AW/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1339009417&sr=1-2

I bought a larger sheet and had plenty left over and used quite a bit of shielding after longtube headers.

Derek98z
06-07-2012, 02:15 PM
I think my V is much more enjoyable to drive than my G8 was. It is so well balanced that you feel like a professional race car driver when you pitch it through turns.

garrettg
06-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Something like this should work
http://www.amazon.com/DEI-050501-Floor-Tunnel-Shield/dp/B000E243AW/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1339009417&sr=1-2

I bought a larger sheet and had plenty left over and used quite a bit of shielding after longtube headers.

Thanks I will give it a shot.