View Full Version : Documentary, build thread... eh. 2000 Pewter WS6

MrMixnMatch
06-05-2012, 02:12 PM
So I took delivery of my new-to-me WS6 on May 12, 2012 at my dad's house in GA. I was inside the house and could hear the low rumble of the stock exhaust as he pulled into the driveway.

I could barely hide my smile as I tried to play it cool while signing all of the paperwork to officially make myself the owner. I bought the car with 58,500 miles on it.

I sat in the car and started it up so I could hear it purr, turned on the headlights and confirmed everything was working as it should. I then shut off the car, turned off the lights and -BRRRGHGHHRHHHG - damn headlight motor gear. Luckily I knew it was a cheap and easy fix and was able to talk him down some more.

We then took the journey back from GA to Mobile, AL where we currently reside, and I carefully backed the car into a spot between the curb and my truck - cautious of would-be theives and teenage girls who like to play bumper cars.

MrMixnMatch
06-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Couple days later I buckled up the headlight. No more ridiculous head-turning buzzsaw sound coming from the motor. I felt like I had actually made some progress.

I had been enjoying my purchase, as it had more power than I was used to. I upgraded from a 1990 v6 Camaro RS, and my truck has the 4.3L v6 in it. Definitely a lot more power.

After perusing the forums some more I came across the fog light upgrade mod and figured I'd give it a shot. I've taken bumpers off and replaced plenty of fog lights. How hard could it be?

Turns out, a lot harder than I thought. I had all the trim and plastic covers off the bottom of the car and got to work removing the bolts I thought held the bumper on, all the while thinking to myself, "I should really buy a Haynes manual for this thing." I give the bumper a tugs to no avail, then go back and read the posts some more. Turns out this bumper removal process is a bit more involved than I'm used to.

Eventually I make a trip to AutoZone and grab a 10mm deep socket (probably one of the best investments for this car) and oil change supplies. After realizing I only had one more day to finish up the fog light install, I ended up changing the oil and putting everything back the way it was.

The fog lights still haven't made it out of the box.

MrMixnMatch
06-05-2012, 02:28 PM
I made the trip from Mobile to Birmingham, back down to Montevallo for a wedding, then up to Huntsville for a fraternity meeting (did I mention I'm currently in college at UAHuntsville?). I passed multiple race-worthy vehicles on the way up, but no one was biting. Pretty uneventful trip all in all.

Oh, one note though. It's actually not too entirely hard to "get it in" in this car. The passenger seat slides back and reclines far enough to maintain a pretty good position. Unfortunately, that's pretty much the only position you get.

All said and done, I now have 60,500 miles on this car... in less than a month. That being said, I'm staying my ass at home until July. Lol.

Now that we're all caught up (I wanted to have a written record of my escapades), I'm now looking at a TSP Sweet Thunder Exhaust, and TSP 1 7/8" headers. I sent a couple emails to some of the guys in the classifieds section, so we'll see how that goes.

I'll also order a short throw shifter and white Hurst shift knob from the WS6store. For the money, I feel like it's the best combination.

MrMixnMatch
06-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Ordered short stick, shift knob, and motor/transmission mounts from ws6store.com. Great prices!

I'll probably do the stick and knob as soon as they come in, since they're so simple. I might go ahead and do the trans mount too.

Gonna save the motor mounts for the header install.

1999transamls1
06-06-2012, 12:34 AM
Pictures? Sounds like a nice car

MrMixnMatch
06-06-2012, 09:03 AM
The picture in my sig is really the only decent picture I have at the moment. Honestly it looks just like every other Pewter WS6 with T-tops.

In the future I will try to post reviews and install guides of everything I add to the car.

216StealthSS
06-06-2012, 09:51 AM
I seem to find race worthy people, but when i pull up next to them they slow down and go back into traffic... still cant understand why... nice purchase, enjoy!

MrMixnMatch
06-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Requested pictures:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/CgMcKinney/IMG_0862.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/CgMcKinney/IMG_0825.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/CgMcKinney/IMG_0860.jpg

Nathan C
06-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Good deal. Pewter is an awsome color to keep clean.

MrMixnMatch
06-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the comments! Now I just need Texas Speed to get some more of those true dials with bullets in stock so we can make this thing move! :drive:

ComeAtMeBro
06-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Rims...exhaust...bolt on...procharger...rear...built tranny...nhra safety stuff...drag set up....

Burn some rubber at the 1/4 mile

MrMixnMatch
06-07-2012, 08:12 PM
I doubt I'll be going that much into it. Unless I find a pro charger kit for EXTREMELY cheap, it won't be happening until after I graduate (two more years - engineering degrees take FOREVER). Plus I like my WS6 rims.

In other news, I did buy some lens tint and clear coat. I'll be tinting the tails this weekend with a coat or two. My RS was tinted way too dark, I'd like to be able to see these...

why87
06-07-2012, 08:38 PM
The short stick is probably the best bang for the buck mod on any 6 speed car. Nice car.

MrMixnMatch
06-07-2012, 09:04 PM
The short stick is probably the best bang for the buck mod on any 6 speed car. Nice car.

Thanks! I'm glad someone finally chimed in about the short stick, it was somewhat of an impulse decision.

02WS6_Publix
06-08-2012, 10:13 AM
Nice car my man! I have owned my Pewter 01 TA WS6 for about 3months now so we are about in the same boat. lol Same car and LOVING IT!

MrMixnMatch
06-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Good stuff! And you aren't too far from me either. Any mods yet?

JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
06-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Get a Pro 5.0 w/ that short stick, make the work of installing it worth it.

Nice car. Maybe I missed it, what year is your car?

MrMixnMatch
06-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Get a Pro 5.0 w/ that short stick, make the work of installing it worth it.

Nice car. Maybe I missed it, what year is your car?

What're the benefits of the Pro 5.0 over the hurst that came with the car? Shorter throw?

And it's a 2000. In the title lol.

MrMixnMatch
06-08-2012, 03:20 PM
UPDATE: Found a shop to do my full dual exhaust for $250 (if I supply mufflers) or less than $350 (if I use theirs).

That being said, has anyone ever used dual Corsa or Borla mufflers on a true dual exhaust? For some reason I'm thinking it would produce a deep, exotic sound. I'm kinda picturing an angry ass pitbull. Lol

EDIT: I think I'll remove Borla from the list, after listening to several audio clips. I have yet to find a clip of dual Corsa mufflers. If all else fails I'm using Dynomax Bullets.

02WS6_Publix
06-08-2012, 08:57 PM
No MODS as of right now, and yea we are close for sure only about 45 min away. I will say that my brother owns a 05Zo6 with full CORSA and it sounds great. It wasnt cheap for him tho. haha

MrMixnMatch
06-08-2012, 09:00 PM
I bet! Well if you need some help just let me know!

Name's Chris

02WS6_Publix
06-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Sounds like a plan chris, I'm looking into getting an exhaust here in a week or two along with some sort of Ram Air Mod for cool air into the Lid, So after I play with all of that we should meet up and ride one day!

MrMixnMatch
06-09-2012, 01:07 AM
Yeah if my bike sells tomorrow I'm ordering TSP headers and then it'll probably go to the shop for a true dual exhaust next weekend if I get the headers and motor/trans mounts installed. What are your plans for exhaust? You could use the same guy I'm using if you're interested. Right around $350 for an entire true dual system. Better sound, more power, more awesome-factor.

As far as ram-air, just debaffle your hood and add a lid or something. I'll eventually look at getting a Volant system, but that'll be after I do my headers and exhaust.

02WS6_Publix
06-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Yeah I have been trying to debaffle my hood but I dont have anyway to drillout the rivits... So for now its just the Lid! haha

MrMixnMatch
06-09-2012, 02:12 PM
My car's PO felt like it was a good idea to just cut or smash out the baffles. It looks awful. I'm gonna take a dremel and square out the cut so it doesn't look so awful.

Drills aren't too expensive. I have one if you're ever around this way.

In other news, I'll have a pretty decent update here in a few.

MrMixnMatch
06-09-2012, 02:45 PM
First off I decided to go ahead and tint my taillights last night.

REMOVAL
Started off by removing the two panels in the trunk on each side that house the speakers and cover the back side of the taillights. Then peel back the carpet that covers the trunk latch.
Next, loosen the spare tire and begin removing the wing nuts that hold the tail lights to the body of the car (5 for each side).
Once you have those wing nuts off, twist off the light bulbs from the housing and remove the housing from the car (It's a good idea to go ahead and replace the lights, since they're known the blow pretty often).
One the housings are removed, the middle panel can then be removed. Mine was simply "stuck" on, as the same wing nuts that hold the tail light housings on also hold down the middle panel.

PREP and PAINT
I hit the housings with 2000 grit wet sanding to scuff up the glossy surface
Next I added 3 coats of the tint (10-15 minutes between) and 3 coats of clear (10-15 minutes again)

FINISHING
I let the housings dry overnight and came back this morning and polished each one with Turtle Wax Polishing Compound and Scratch Remover. I applied two thorough coats with a microfiber cloth and dried with another (CLEAN) microfiber cloth
Lastly I took some wax (I think it's called ICE or something) and applied two coats of that.

The taillights shine like new!

For the middle panel, I decided I wanted it to be completely black. I had enough sanding for the day, so I figured I'd just polish it and see what happens.

Lucky for me, the same polish that I used for the light housings earlier, also removed all the color from the middle panel! So in all of 10 minutes, with no sanding or anything, I have a completely black, glossy, new-looking middle panel!

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/CgMcKinney/IMG_0959.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/CgMcKinney/IMG_0958.jpghttp://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/CgMcKinney/IMG_0960.jpghttp://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/CgMcKinney/IMG_0961.jpg

MrMixnMatch
06-09-2012, 03:02 PM
The other thing I did today was install my WS6 store short stick and white shift knob. It's easy enough, but I figure I'll go ahead and explain everything since I took some pictures.

Tools needed
Two Ratchets (or a 13mm wrench)
13mm socket
Size 6 hex key or attachment (really don't know what it's called)
7mm socket with a decently log extension (or a screwdriver with a coupler attachment)

Panel Removal
Begin by opening the middle glove compartment
Pull up the coin holder and move it aside
Remove the two 7mm screws holding the console panel down
(optional) remove the ash tray by simply lifting it out of the console
Poke the bottom part of the traction control button (if you have one) and push it through the panel.
Remove the small trim panel around the traction control button
Unhook the electrical connections from the ash tray light and outlet
Now lift up the console panel and move it to the side
(I chose to remove the stick before removing the shift knob. I didn't want to cause any unnecessary pressure anywhere. If you've already removed the knob, remove the console completely at this time.)
Remove the two bolts on the passenger side from the stick, then remove the console, stick, and knob assembly from the car.
At this time (if you haven't already) remove the knob by twisting it (lefty loosey) from the stick.
Now thread the new bolts through the base where you removed the old bolts (Make sure you thread them completely or the washers will rattle)
Slide the new short stick on the two bolts
Use the lock washer and nut to fasten the stick to the base
(At this time, thread the new knob on to ensure your shift pattern or design will be facing the correct way once tight, then take it back off)
Now bring the console back over, and place the electrical connections back in their seats
Snap the console back in place and install the two screws in the glove box.
Place the traction control button trim back onto the console
Pull the traction control button back through the trim and snap it into place
Reinstall the ash tray if you removed it
Thread on your new shift knob and enjoy! (I didn't use thread lock. It seems pretty stable as-is)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/CgMcKinney/IMG_0976.jpg

More pictures available upon request

MrMixnMatch
06-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Just did my poly trans mount.

Using this: http://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/1514812-t-56-transmission-mount-swap-how.html

Then I got back and read this: http://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/557976-i-have-small-problem.html

Smh. I don't think I'll have any issues, but just in case I'll probably not drive too much until I can do my header and poly motor mount install.

Just from moving my car back to its spot, it feels a lot more.... "intuitive?" and for some reason even sounds a little louder. That's probably just me though.

Side note... I need a new jack. Mine's a POS.

02WS6_Publix
06-09-2012, 06:13 PM
I'm llooking at doing the CETA mod but just need to find time to do it! I think it would look great with out pewter color cars! haha

MrMixnMatch
06-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Yeah it looks pretty slick. I might do it later on down the road. I haven't had very good success painting bumpers in the past... Lol

Plus I'm trying to get my go-fast parts first.

MrMixnMatch
06-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Found the mufflers I'm going with.

Kooks 2.5 in/out 14" long race-style mufflers

http://www.kookscustomheaders.com/show.php?pid=861&year=&make=&model=
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KOK-R250-14/

Great price, great name, great sound. Coupled with TSP LTs, I should have me an amazing setup once it's finished, and with an amazing price.

02WS6_Publix
06-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Sweet, I think im going with the SLP loudmouthII Catback system. I'm not looking to change my headers anytime soon so I'm running with SLP for now. =D It will be ordered this thursday.

Yeah I am doing a lot of research before I try to paint my bumper. lol

adamantium
06-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Is the short stick really worth it? My car has the hurst shifter option, i can row the gears good, i no lift shift all gears without a problem.

MrMixnMatch
06-10-2012, 01:04 AM
I did just fine with the stock shifter too, then I realized how much better the short stick is. It just feels so much more precise and quick.

You know how there are sometimes two "clicks" getting into a gear? Almost like a neutral-almost in gear-in gear kind of deal? Well the short stick seemed to fix that for me.

Plus, at around $27, it's pretty hard to beat.

adamantium
06-10-2012, 01:52 PM
I did just fine with the stock shifter too, then I realized how much better the short stick is. It just feels so much more precise and quick.

You know how there are sometimes two "clicks" getting into a gear? Almost like a neutral-almost in gear-in gear kind of deal? Well the short stick seemed to fix that for me.

Plus, at around $27, it's pretty hard to beat.

lol i know exactly what you mean. Ill probably buy one after i install my longtubes and exhaust setup. Thanks for the response. Oh also all you did was remove the shift boot correct to install?

MrMixnMatch
06-10-2012, 02:22 PM
I wrote an entire writeup a couple posts back in this same thread. Check it out.

why87
06-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Is the short stick really worth it? My car has the hurst shifter option, i can row the gears good, i no lift shift all gears without a problem.

Best 25 bucks you'll spend on the car. Seriously. I've got one and after I put it on it felt like a new shifter.

MrMixnMatch
06-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Best 25 bucks you'll spend on the car. Seriously. I've got one and after I put it on it felt like a new shifter.

Exactly! did you get the white shift knob too? I never knew they were so common until I started catching them in everyone's pictures and sigs.

JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
06-11-2012, 01:08 PM
What're the benefits of the Pro 5.0 over the hurst that came with the car? Shorter throw?

And it's a 2000. In the title lol.

DOH!

I wasn't sure what shifter you had. The 5.0 has adjustable positive stops, I don't think the stock Hurst has them. Although I'm not sure the upgrade from the Hurst would be worth it.

MrMixnMatch
06-11-2012, 03:08 PM
DOH!

I wasn't sure what shifter you had. The 5.0 has adjustable positive stops, I don't think the stock Hurst has them. Although I'm not sure the upgrade from the Hurst would be worth it.

I don't think it would at this point. I'm pretty content with my WS6Store Stick and Prothane trans mount.

MrMixnMatch
06-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Coming soon:

Kooks Headers
True Dual exhaust with Kooks mufflers (Not Kooks TD exhaust)
Hopefully a Volant Intake

02WS6_Publix
06-14-2012, 11:10 PM
SWEET! I'm excited for you man. I just got back inside from putting my new SLP lid on.

MrMixnMatch
06-15-2012, 12:27 AM
Cool, how does it fit?

I really like that sig pic btw! HD pic or Instagram? Lol

02WS6_Publix
06-15-2012, 08:23 AM
It Fits fine, Now issues at all (other than thos that were my fault) haha Just need to take care of the smooth bellow now to clean up the "look".
and thank, it was a picture I took on my iPhone of me and my brothers car on mothers day. I used the "Camera+" app to edit it.

MrMixnMatch
06-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Ordered the mufflers today. Headers won't be here until the first week of July.

I'm getting pretty anxious to do work, but I'm trying to hold off and do it the easiest/cheapest way.

In other news, I need to buy a new jack... and I also need to find a better place to actually work. Anyone know any simple solutions for finding areas to have a car in the air for a couple days? I don't really know anyone down here, so asking a friend is out of the question.

MrMixnMatch
06-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Mail time!

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/CgMcKinney/IMG_1073.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/CgMcKinney/IMG_1074.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/CgMcKinney/IMG_1076.jpg

Hope to get it in the shop either next week or the week after...

Also, a bonus from Mobile's finest:
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/CgMcKinney/IMG_1072.jpg

Smh.:eek2:

jsmith564
06-27-2012, 10:49 PM
wow............................

adamantium
06-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Nice man i just got my pacesetters today, ordered a ported TB, and magnaflow bullet today too. Can't wait i bet your even more impatient waiting on those kooks!

MrMixnMatch
06-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Yeah I'm pretty excited, just trying to keep myself calm because I know I have a few more things to do/buy before I can even do the header install. They won't be on for another week or two after I get them.

And why the ported TB? If you car has only lid/headers/exhaust, you really won't see much (if anything) out of it.

Not exactly a terrible step if you plan on upgrading your intake manifold though. Good luck with the mods!

MrMixnMatch
08-23-2012, 05:36 PM
SLP Lid installed:
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/CgMcKinney/IMG_1212.jpg

New tires from Sams... great price:
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/CgMcKinney/IMG_1220.jpg

And a clean ass vette I saw at a cruise-in
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/CgMcKinney/IMG_1205.jpg

why87
08-23-2012, 06:36 PM
Exactly! did you get the white shift knob too? I never knew they were so common until I started catching them in everyone's pictures and sigs.

Just saw this :lol:. But no, I've got a black ball with a gold Bird engraved on the top. It's pretty cool looking (at least I think so!)

Nathan C
08-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Thats a hell of a deal on those tires.