Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Documentary, build thread... eh. 2000 Pewter WS6

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Documentary, build thread... eh. 2000 Pewter WS6

So I took delivery of my new-to-me WS6 on May 12, 2012 at my dad's house in GA. I was inside the house and could hear the low rumble of the stock exhaust as he pulled into the driveway.

I could barely hide my smile as I tried to play it cool while signing all of the paperwork to officially make myself the owner. I bought the car with 58,500 miles on it.

I sat in the car and started it up so I could hear it purr, turned on the headlights and confirmed everything was working as it should. I then shut off the car, turned off the lights and -BRRRGHGHHRHHHG - damn headlight motor gear. Luckily I knew it was a cheap and easy fix and was able to talk him down some more.

We then took the journey back from GA to Mobile, AL where we currently reside, and I carefully backed the car into a spot between the curb and my truck - cautious of would-be theives and teenage girls who like to play bumper cars.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

Couple days later I buckled up the headlight. No more ridiculous head-turning buzzsaw sound coming from the motor. I felt like I had actually made some progress.

I had been enjoying my purchase, as it had more power than I was used to. I upgraded from a 1990 v6 Camaro RS, and my truck has the 4.3L v6 in it. Definitely a lot more power.

After perusing the forums some more I came across the fog light upgrade mod and figured I'd give it a shot. I've taken bumpers off and replaced plenty of fog lights. How hard could it be?

Turns out, a lot harder than I thought. I had all the trim and plastic covers off the bottom of the car and got to work removing the bolts I thought held the bumper on, all the while thinking to myself, "I should really buy a Haynes manual for this thing." I give the bumper a tugs to no avail, then go back and read the posts some more. Turns out this bumper removal process is a bit more involved than I'm used to.

Eventually I make a trip to AutoZone and grab a 10mm deep socket (probably one of the best investments for this car) and oil change supplies. After realizing I only had one more day to finish up the fog light install, I ended up changing the oil and putting everything back the way it was.

The fog lights still haven't made it out of the box.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

I made the trip from Mobile to Birmingham, back down to Montevallo for a wedding, then up to Huntsville for a fraternity meeting (did I mention I'm currently in college at UAHuntsville?). I passed multiple race-worthy vehicles on the way up, but no one was biting. Pretty uneventful trip all in all.

Oh, one note though. It's actually not too entirely hard to "get it in" in this car. The passenger seat slides back and reclines far enough to maintain a pretty good position. Unfortunately, that's pretty much the only position you get.

All said and done, I now have 60,500 miles on this car... in less than a month. That being said, I'm staying my *** at home until July. Lol.

Now that we're all caught up (I wanted to have a written record of my escapades), I'm now looking at a TSP Sweet Thunder Exhaust, and TSP 1 7/8" headers. I sent a couple emails to some of the guys in the classifieds section, so we'll see how that goes.

I'll also order a short throw shifter and white Hurst shift **** from the WS6store. For the money, I feel like it's the best combination.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Ordered short stick, shift ****, and motor/transmission mounts from ws6store.com. Great prices!

I'll probably do the stick and **** as soon as they come in, since they're so simple. I might go ahead and do the trans mount too.

Gonna save the motor mounts for the header install.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

Pictures? Sounds like a nice car
Old 06-06-2012, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

The picture in my sig is really the only decent picture I have at the moment. Honestly it looks just like every other Pewter WS6 with T-tops.

In the future I will try to post reviews and install guides of everything I add to the car.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

I seem to find race worthy people, but when i pull up next to them they slow down and go back into traffic... still cant understand why... nice purchase, enjoy!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Requested pictures:

Old 06-06-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

Good deal. Pewter is an awsome color to keep clean.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the comments! Now I just need Texas Speed to get some more of those true dials with bullets in stock so we can make this thing move!
Old 06-07-2012, 06:17 PM
BashamWS6 Troll Account

Rims...exhaust...bolt on...procharger...rear...built tranny...nhra safety stuff...drag set up....

Burn some rubber at the 1/4 mile
Old 06-07-2012, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

I doubt I'll be going that much into it. Unless I find a pro charger kit for EXTREMELY cheap, it won't be happening until after I graduate (two more years - engineering degrees take FOREVER). Plus I like my WS6 rims.

In other news, I did buy some lens tint and clear coat. I'll be tinting the tails this weekend with a coat or two. My RS was tinted way too dark, I'd like to be able to see these...
Old 06-07-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

The short stick is probably the best bang for the buck mod on any 6 speed car. Nice car.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by why87
The short stick is probably the best bang for the buck mod on any 6 speed car. Nice car.
Thanks! I'm glad someone finally chimed in about the short stick, it was somewhat of an impulse decision.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

Nice car my man! I have owned my Pewter 01 TA WS6 for about 3months now so we are about in the same boat. lol Same car and LOVING IT!
Old 06-08-2012, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Good stuff! And you aren't too far from me either. Any mods yet?
Old 06-08-2012, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Get a Pro 5.0 w/ that short stick, make the work of installing it worth it.

Nice car. Maybe I missed it, what year is your car?
Old 06-08-2012, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
Get a Pro 5.0 w/ that short stick, make the work of installing it worth it.

Nice car. Maybe I missed it, what year is your car?
What're the benefits of the Pro 5.0 over the hurst that came with the car? Shorter throw?

And it's a 2000. In the title lol.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

UPDATE: Found a shop to do my full dual exhaust for $250 (if I supply mufflers) or less than $350 (if I use theirs).

That being said, has anyone ever used dual Corsa or Borla mufflers on a true dual exhaust? For some reason I'm thinking it would produce a deep, exotic sound. I'm kinda picturing an angry *** pitbull. Lol

EDIT: I think I'll remove Borla from the list, after listening to several audio clips. I have yet to find a clip of dual Corsa mufflers. If all else fails I'm using Dynomax Bullets.

Last edited by MrMixnMatch; 06-08-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

No MODS as of right now, and yea we are close for sure only about 45 min away. I will say that my brother owns a 05Zo6 with full CORSA and it sounds great. It wasnt cheap for him tho. haha

Quick Reply: Documentary, build thread... eh. 2000 Pewter WS6