LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil drain issue - quik95lt1 chime in please

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil drain issue - quik95lt1 chime in please

Ok so i was doing a quick run down on my motor and realized the passenger front side head's oil drain is completely blocked.. I remember quik95lt1 saying he had this problem before..

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
nope i made a tool lol.......gonna open em up with out drilling and do it with the head on........watch this creation I'll post up pics tomorrow night lol

Care to post those pics of this tool?

Here is a pic of my issue.. Will I be able to fix this without pulling the head?

Oil drain issue - quik95lt1 chime in please-mn8md.jpg
Old 06-06-2012, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Since theres not many trickflow headed cars out there, i did some research and it turns out the older AFR heads have this same issue.. Tony mamo posted this on the corvette fourms about the AFR issue..

"For those already running our LT heads I assure you its not and has never been an issue as the rear oil hole does 98% of the work in that department anyway, especially due to the rearward tilt/bias most production vehicles engines are installed in their chassis. "

Who agrees with this?

Either way since the 21* heads are one of the newest heads im disappointed to find this issue.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:19 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by jay7199
Who agrees with this?
I do. The rockers receive a minimal amount of oil compared to everything else. You will have an ample amount of drainback from the oil valley and rear drain ports in the heads. Unless you stand on your brakes more than you accelerate then it would be of concern.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i just had flasbacks looking at that haha.......i actually wound up making a very sharp punch with a piece of steel and punched the hole in the gasket using another piece of steel on the back of the head with a hole in it........this time around i just cut the gasket before i put it on saved alot of time and hassle.....i also drilled out my drain back holes a big bigger and chamfered them to aid in drain back....having a solid roller with no restrictors i get alot of oil pumping up there quite quickly....as for the drain back issue stated above with the front hole thing.....thats a load of ****....the front rockers will drain through the front and think about decell.....thats where my problems were showing up backing off at the endof the track the nose dips and the motor winds down and that where my lack of oil was showing up......BOTH holes need to be clear the front hole is there for a reason
Old 06-07-2012, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I also have a pretty badass oil pump and I read on camaroz28, and i agree with his statement saying that i could pump up a quart of oil into the head and it not drain back down, Clearly bad for the bottom end.

Guess im going to pull the intake, try and make a tool to punch a hole in it, I noticed the rear head gasket is coveing that drian some as well... clean that **** up too, And I am using GM's B-body headgaskets, I am going to do my best to not pull the head.. They discontinued these head gaskets.. I sent a email to trickflow telling them to fix this ****.. or atlest put a warning somewhere instead of advertise "Ready to bolt on out of the box"
Old 06-07-2012, 02:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed this too when bolting on my new TFS heads. Had to open it up. I thought about drilling the drain holes and smoothing things out around the holes but didn't. Next time I will.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used converted sbc shim gaskets. I had to mod them to make them work and i cut the drain back holes out bigger.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

im working on it now.. I got maybe a pin sized hole, I know its not perfect, But do you guys think this will be enough? going to try and get it a bit bigger but im also trying really hard not to make a mess.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

ok here is how it currently looks, Any bigger and i'll have to start really shaving off the block..

Thoughts?

Oil drain issue - quik95lt1 chime in please-tuslb.jpg
Old 06-07-2012, 06:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

leave it be it will be ok at that point...........unless u mod the block
Old 06-07-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

k thats what I thought, as long as its draining, might not be the maximum it could, but better then notthing.

Thanks man, always helpful.

Quick Reply: Oil drain issue - quik95lt1 chime in please