Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

modding question over here plz answer

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default modding question over here plz answer

ok guys here is the deal. i crakced my engine open, it is making a noise so i opended it up to see what i can find. My question is now that iam in there what would be good mods to ad to the car before i close the engine back up.
The car already has a cam in it and a high performance intake manifold, and all and i mean all emisions control devises have been aither taken of or de-activated. the car has 47k miles on it it is a 2000 t/a. also what would be a good maintenance tip while i am in there? me and a friend are doing all the work so laber is not a problem cost wise that is; please let me know a.s.a.p this is my daily driver so i need to put it back together very soon please hurry and post thank you.

Ps my email is zamboxxl@yahoo.com if possible send me a massege with the info if not then just post it here

Last edited by zamboxl; 03-30-2004 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

So what did you find???
Old 03-30-2004, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BOWTIE
So what did you find???
nothing yet the heads are off already havent had time to look them over yet and the rest will soon be in pieces too, and by peases i mean disasemble. don't have a lot of time so i i am only working on it betwen work and school, and on the weekends.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

got headers?
replace any gasket or bearing you can get too...
good time to port heads...
double timing chain...
Old 03-30-2004, 07:11 PM
11 Second Club

a complete mod list would help....
Old 03-30-2004, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
a complete mod list would help....
cam/head job, no egr,no cat, long pipes exaust, high performance intake manifold, and z06, or just a reg c5 clutch (not sure i forgot) not that it really matters but you said complete list of mods
Old 03-30-2004, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

finish the bolt ons...
port your thottle body
asp pulley
free mods
z06 clutch is crap(hey you posted it)

do you know which cam?
which heads?

you leaving out a stock cat back??? how bout a cutout...

sounds like your giving up 25-30 hp in simple stuff...
Old 03-31-2004, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

finish the bolt ons...
port your thottle body
asp pulley
free mods
z06 clutch is crap(hey you posted it)

do you know which cam?
which heads?

you leaving out a stock cat back??? how bout a cutout...

sounds like your giving up 25-30 hp in simple stuff...
the car has no cat period, about how much would it run me to port the trottle body, the asp pulley, and headers?? o and yes the clutch does suck but hey you wanted a complete list
Old 03-31-2004, 01:33 PM
11 Second Club

you can port your tb yourself for free... (well real cheap) check the how to sites there are several write ups on it...
asp pulley can be found on most of the sponcer sites to the right>>>>>>>
same goes for headers....they can run you 230-1300 depending...
i like jet hots or hooker they are great bang for buck headers... (get coated..)

so you are running no exhast huh? if thats what you mean then you are giving up some torque under the curve...(if you wondered why it felt slugess off the line then thats why) i would put at least 3 feet of strait pipe after the headers you wont lose any hp but you will pick up 9-10 ftlbs of tq under the curve...
Old 03-31-2004, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can port your tb yourself for free... (well real cheap) check the how to sites there are several write ups on it...
asp pulley can be found on most of the sponcer sites to the right>>>>>>>
same goes for headers....they can run you 230-1300 depending...
i like jet hots or hooker they are great bang for buck headers... (get coated..)

so you are running no exhast huh? if thats what you mean then you are giving up some torque under the curve...(if you wondered why it felt slugess off the line then thats why) i would put at least 3 feet of strait pipe after the headers you wont lose any hp but you will pick up 9-10 ftlbs of tq under the curve...
thats wha ti meant by long pipe exaust the car has straight pipes right after the exaust manifold all the way back to the mufler sorry if my terminology confused ya, well actually before the noise the car haled *** and isntead of feeling slugish it felt jumpy where i noticed that it lost a little power was up top, so i was thinking that the stright pipes where not giving me enough back presure, but hey i'll try out what you told me and go with the bolts on or atleast as many as i can aford. i was kind of thinking about hooking my car up with true dual exaust do you think that will help or hurt the hp/tq of the car?? thanks for all your help man

Last edited by zamboxl; 03-31-2004 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

True duals won't hurt anything, you won't gain a whole lot but they sound very mean!! I would say if you are going to do any mod while you are at it headers will help you a TON with a H/C car....you are prolly holding back 20+hp........Good luck
Old 03-31-2004, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AK's WS6
True duals won't hurt anything, you won't gain a whole lot but they sound very mean!! I would say if you are going to do any mod while you are at it headers will help you a TON with a H/C car....you are prolly holding back 20+hp........Good luck
cool thanks i'll get back under the hood this friday and over the wekend. so i'll get to work with my man the mad chinesse mechanic dude and see wha twe come up with i'll let you guys know what we find
Old 04-01-2004, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

keep us updated
Old 04-06-2004, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok now along with engine noise the car was also burning a lot of oil would changing the rings fix this should i change something else seals maibe??
Old 04-06-2004, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Backpressure is a myth. HAving an open exhaust you will gain torque and horsepower, It will just be up further in the curve. Max torque on a stock Z is like 3750? You put open exhasut you can move that max torque to 5k! Backpressure is a myth, Resonant scavenging is kind of what your getting at. Backpressure is also mistaken for exhaust velocity. You dont want "backpressurE" You want that exhaust moving as fast as it can. Search and read about it.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

burning oil can point to MANY things...
piston rings is a good place to start, also valve stem seals, take a good hard look at your oil inssure there is no shiny stuff in it(thats very bad)
also recheck your heads gaskets insure you did not damage them when you reinstalled them
Old 04-08-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

burning oil can point to MANY things...
piston rings is a good place to start, also valve stem seals, take a good hard look at your oil inssure there is no shiny stuff in it(thats very bad)
also recheck your heads gaskets insure you did not damage them when you reinstalled them
HEADS ARE FINE AND THE BLOCK ISN'T CRACK SO IT HAS TO BE SOME KIND OF BACK WASH OR A MEST UP SEAL
Old 04-10-2004, 10:41 PM
Teching In

if you have the heads off why not mill them down to bump up your compression, and not sure if you said you did this yet or not but why not get some higher ratio rocker arms to, but along with that i would suggest titanium valve springs
Old 04-10-2004, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Disturbed1
if you have the heads off why not mill them down to bump up your compression, and not sure if you said you did this yet or not but why not get some higher ratio rocker arms to, but along with that i would suggest titanium valve springs
well actually the rocker arms are fine this is my daily driver too so if they are to big it wouldn't really run fine as a daily driver the cam is a 224, 224 and iam not sure but i think the lift is like 115, i could be wrong about that so iam not to sure about the lift. As far as the titanium valve springs unles i was to put a big @ss cam on there the ones i have on right now are fine. When the cam was put in the springs where replace with stronger ones that could handle the load and thougher pushrods from thunder racing where put in. As far as milling them down wouldn't that be kind of bad for the car if is not done just right, if not then yea sure i might give that a try if i am wrong about anithing said please correct me, i want this car to perform but i also need a daily driver and i want it to last the car is a nhra special edition there is nothing special about it but there are bery few of them around, only about 500 or less where built so i want to keep it for a long time.

Last edited by zamboxl; 04-10-2004 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

hey does anyone out there know how i could get my hands on a key for a 2000 t/a wheel lock. Gm is not of any help so plz don't say gm, or if there is any other way to remube the cross section under the engine, other than by taking of the the front tires?