LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Can you throw off optispark timing

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you throw off optispark timing

Hey guys, I was wondering if you over rev your engine do you think you can throw off the optispark timing I missed a gear the other day and the car still ran fine and everything the next 15 miles till I got home no issues. But I parked it and the next day backfired won't rev over 2k rpm runs horrible and throwing P1361 code. I replaced the ICM and MSD coil still the same. Any help would be awesome
Old 06-07-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1361 is the hi res failure I believe. The only other thing it can be is the harness going to the opti. They cant stand moisture. I have taken mine off and used some wire dryer before and it helped. I have also had to replace it and the Opti before too. My guess is the opti is bad though. How new is it? Is it a real GM part?
Old 06-07-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

You can't throw off the timing per se, but you might have partially exploded the rotor (which would have an effect on timing). Opening up the opti is probably in your future.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
1361 is the hi res failure I believe. The only other thing it can be is the harness going to the opti. They cant stand moisture. I have taken mine off and used some wire dryer before and it helped. I have also had to replace it and the Opti before too. My guess is the opti is bad though. How new is it? Is it a real GM part?
It's the MSD optispark. My oil pan seal broke and it spewed oil on my optispark and some of the I believe.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ah. I missed the part that is was the MSD opti. Those have adjustment to them, right? If so I would start there.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a gm opti? If so I see that you have a MSD coil.......the MSD coil is GM's kyptonite. The GM Opti spark can not handle aftermarket coils, they are just plain to hot of a spark for them. Reason being the GM's cap and rotor are made of a material that can not take it and disintegrate. On the cap it eats at the material protecting the circuts that it takes. Once it has eaten enough of it away you get arc across them. That is when ing starts jump paths and your engine starts running like crap. The rotor disintergrates also and there goes your accuracy,

I'm willing to bet if you take your opti out, that is what you will find. I went through two of them. Went 30k on stock coil, switched to msd and changed it twice within 20k.

You can change the cap and rotor to a MSD pieces and takes care of the issue. I went one step farther, and did the MSD Billet Opti. Suppose to be better tham GM's unit. Dont know forsure or not though, cause I never ran GM's opti with MSD cap and rotor. But I would think if you replaced MSD cap and rotor your problems should be done with.

Since I replace the whole unit with MSD I have not had one issue with the ing system with 30k on it.

Some may argue with me on that, but that is what I have experienced and from what I have read from other people.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Launching!

I've had two GM opti's fail from the two tiny screws that hold the arm on come loose. Sometimes it'll just miss sometimes as they loosen up, then it'll get worse where I can only drive at low RPM, then it'll do the classic bang and pop until it quits.

Something to think about. I know take them apart when new and loctite the screws. Hopefully I won't have a problem again.

Steve
Old 06-07-2012, 03:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
Ah. I missed the part that is was the MSD opti. Those have adjustment to them, right? If so I would start there.
You didn't miss it. He didn't say it was an MSD. Yes MSDs have a timing adjustment (they should have left it off, IMHO). So, yeah, it could be screwed up. I still see opening the opti in the future for the OP.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:03 PM

You guys have provided the best information I have found I really appreciate it and will replace that tomorrow. It's nice I'm begging to trust this site and go here over all the techs in my area lol. I'll let you guys know what happens. Thanks again

Quick Reply: Can you throw off optispark timing