Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-body dual fan wiring question - what size fuse, contact ratings, etc?

Old 06-07-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default F-body dual fan wiring question - what size fuse, contact ratings, etc?

I am going to rewire my F-body dual electric fan setup, but I am not sure which relays and fuses to use. The factory wiring shows a single 40A fuse with a wire going through a relay to each fan. However, the new fuse block I am using has a 30A limit on each fuse, and I don't want to exceed that. I was thinking about running two 20A fuses (one to each fan) but when the fans are on low speed (wired in series) all of the power for both fans would be coming through a single fuse.

Any thoughts on this? If the fans are turning at half speed on the low setting, shouldn't they be pulling half the amps, allowing me to run them at low speed through the single 20A fuse?

Also - the stock F-body fan relays are rated at 30A and for "non-continuous" use. This has to mean something...

I don't want to spend a huge amount of money overbuilding this - I just want to do the minimum required to make it safe!
Attached Files
Old 06-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default fans

Just use the relays and for the feed to the relays(starter, battery or any power source that has enough amps) put a circuit breaker in line to protect everything, then use your fused panel to feed your trigger position on the relay, this uses hardly anything to turn on the relay and the circuit breaker will protect the rest. I guess it got politically incorrect to have the patriot in the readily available icon page, for those of you that feel that way

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F-body dual fan wiring question - what size fuse, contact ratings, etc?