Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

attempted carjacking?? Northern VA

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default attempted carjacking?? Northern VA

I put this in the cts-v sub-forum but figured I'd put it up here as well to let all the locals know...this occurred 6/6/12 at approx 2:45pm in the falls church area.

So I am pulling up to my house today and a black 2009ish nissan sentra va tags comes up and parks in front of me. Middle aged white guy about 5'7 170lbs steps out. I've only owned the car for 3 weeks mind you and bought it with a clean and clear title with no liens on it.

As I'm getting out a middle aged white guy comes up to me..dialog goes-
him-give me your keys
me-why
him-it's being repo'd
me-no it's not. why? let's see some paperwork
him- *fumbles around on his blackberry* i'll have the police here so fast.
me-please do. i want to see some paperwork. actually here I'll make a call. *get on phone*
him-*fumbles with his blackberry some more n hustles back to his car* i'm sorry i'm sorry i apologize i have the wrong car.

then he hurries back to his car n drives away.

He never had any type of paperwork or looked at the VIN # or anything prior to making threats and requesting my keys. Nor did he provide any paperwork regarding it even after i asked twice. he also came alone and without a towtruck, how does he expect to leave with both cars?

I filed a report with fairfax co. police as well.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I hope you got the tags off the car he was driving to go along with the report. That is 100% an attempted car theft, and one of the tactics now being used in CT as well.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:19 PM
10 Second Club

Wow.

And yet another great argument for concealed carrying. No need to actually shoot the guy of course but perhaps simply showing one's pistol in a case like that might prevent the scumbag from attempting something like that again on someone else.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's crazy
Old 06-07-2012, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might be stretching the word "carjacking" a little bit haha
Old 06-07-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Might be stretching the word "carjacking" a little bit haha
I agree. Sounds more like a "lets see if we can find a sucker" fishing trip. Still worth reporting though.

+1 on the CCW comment. We need it.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:29 AM
Staging Lane

haha yea a stretch on carjacking a bit.....i'm sure he does this all day until he does find a sucker who is behind on their payments and just gives it up.

wasn't able to get the tag, just got make n model n that it was a va plate....i'm guessing the car he was in was stolen anyhow since he would have had to leave it behind.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Wow.

And yet another great argument for concealed carrying. No need to actually shoot the guy of course but perhaps simply showing one's pistol in a case like that might prevent the scumbag from attempting something like that again on someone else.
Definitely not the right approach as brandishing is illegal, no matter the circumstance. Talk of brandishing actually fuels the anti-gun advocates argument.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow man that is insane story, glad that you didnt get jacked!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:08 AM
Teching In

Your CCW weapon should be the last thing the threat ever see's. I stress the word LAST.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:42 AM
Internet Mechanic

Unfortunately thats is the **** that would get real repo guys shot as you never know who is legit at the moment someone just walks up to you and demands to have the car.

Why dont people just drive around with tow rig and just steal cars at night. Bet you can get a few cars easy.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Unfortunately thats is the **** that would get real repo guys shot as you never know who is legit at the moment someone just walks up to you and demands to have the car.

Why dont people just drive around with tow rig and just steal cars at night. Bet you can get a few cars easy.
I've heard they do in NY, luckly I pay my bills
Old 06-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

so after speaking with some people in the area, the guy is a legit repo agent working for a local company and i guess just really sucks at his job...needless to say I'm trying to go after him and at minimum have him reprimanded.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
Definitely not the right approach as brandishing is illegal, no matter the circumstance. Talk of brandishing actually fuels the anti-gun advocates argument.
Originally Posted by pokaspeed
Your CCW weapon should be the last thing the threat ever see's. I stress the word LAST.
True true, good points guys.
Finally applied for my permits (just to purchase/own, NOT carry of course as this is the People's Republic of Jersey LOL) after 20+ years of talking about doing so LOL so I'm still sort of new to the whole CCW world/etiquette.
New Jersey of course is an entirely different planet than VA or PA (or almost anywhere else for that matter) when it comes to that, unfortunately.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
True true, good points guys.
Finally applied for my permits (just to purchase/own, NOT carry of course as this is the People's Republic of Jersey LOL) after 20+ years of talking about doing so LOL so I'm still sort of new to the whole CCW world/etiquette.
New Jersey of course is an entirely different planet than VA or PA (or almost anywhere else for that matter) when it comes to that, unfortunately.
Not a laughing matter. A gun can land your *** in jail in a lot of ways if you're not careful. Read up on NJ laws. I know in MD we have strict regs on transporting weapons ccw or not.

Generally speaking you don't even want to let on that you have a weapon, let alone show it to anyone.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If you don't intend to fire a weapon don't even let them know you have it. That is always the safest thing to do when it comes to ccw, pretty much anywhere.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:23 PM

glad your ok
Old 06-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

trying to track down what company he worked for......i'm gonna be allll up there *** if i can. had i known he was real i would have let him take it and then reported it stolen immediately. may have been able to come out with a 09+ v in the end haha
Old 06-08-2012, 11:00 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
lol must suck up there... welcome to VA! We dont have to "brandish" since open carry is legal. We dont need to hide it under our clothes... wear it on your belt proudly, nobody takes advantage of you!

I know it depends on the situation but generally most everyone is comfortable with OC in VA. You see it everywhere from the grocery store to restaurants.

I do agree the situation could have gone pretty bad pretty quick for the attempted repo agent if he was on the OP's property and was threatening the OP its an easy case...
Old 06-09-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
lol must suck up there... welcome to VA! We dont have to "brandish" since open carry is legal. We dont need to hide it under our clothes... wear it on your belt proudly, nobody takes advantage of you!

I know it depends on the situation but generally most everyone is comfortable with OC in VA. You see it everywhere from the grocery store to restaurants.

I do agree the situation could have gone pretty bad pretty quick for the attempted repo agent if he was on the OP's property and was threatening the OP its an easy case...
Open carry is legal here as well. Brandishing is an entirely different thing than just having someone see your weapon. I also believe that brandishing is a federal law. Read up on the legal definition for a better understanding.

Last edited by PAGregSS; 06-09-2012 at 02:28 PM.