Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP - Flashing SES, Lean bank 1, # 6 misfire, AFR reading 17 - off charts...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP - Flashing SES, Lean bank 1, # 6 misfire, AFR reading 17 - off charts...

As stated above, the SES light is flashing, I am reading a lean bank 1 and #6 misfire. The care limps, shakes and hardly runs. Anyone with suggestions?

April 12 - new O2's front and back
April 12 - LTH's and ORY with SLP LM installed
April 12 - WB O2 installed and tuned

well over 12,000 miles with out a hick up until now...
Old 06-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Launching!

check your spark plug wires, somtimes when new headers go on they might touch a wire and eventually burn threw causing the wire to arc on the head giving a missfire, also check that your wires are all seated good on the spark plugs, second check for vacuum leak, clean your MAF sensor, even try disconnecting it to see if it runs better, hows your fuel pressure?
Old 06-07-2012, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check you plug wires like said above ^^^^^^^^
Use a spray bottle with water, or wait until dark and open the hood.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TransamGCS
check your spark plug wires, somtimes when new headers go on they might touch a wire and eventually burn threw causing the wire to arc on the head giving a missfire, also check that your wires are all seated good on the spark plugs, second check for vacuum leak, clean your MAF sensor, even try disconnecting it to see if it runs better, hows your fuel pressure?
Originally Posted by PowellSixO
Check you plug wires like said above ^^^^^^^^
Use a spray bottle with water, or wait until dark and open the hood.

Yep...Have done this to myself before and it was not real obvious, boots were barely touching the primaries on two wires.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Well #6 is on bank 2, so not sure if those two are related. Sounds like as broken valve spring possibly. Also check out the MAF and make sure it has good connections. Bad MAF readings can cause a flashing SES and lean conditions.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

#6 is on bank 2 so bank 1 lean is prob a different issue. you popped a coil or fried a wire most likely. if the wires are ok swap the coils with another cylinder see if the prob follows. but it could be more serious like a dead injector, bend broke valvetrain. but im betting on spark
Old 06-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

Come to find out it seems to be a bad ignition coil on #6. Read the spark between 15-18k when should be 10-12k. So chances are I am going to have to change out the plugs and wires since it is firing so high. Is something that the tune could have caused?
Old 06-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bwkmaro
#6 is on bank 2 so bank 1 lean is prob a different issue. you popped a coil or fried a wire most likely. if the wires are ok swap the coils with another cylinder see if the prob follows. but it could be more serious like a dead injector, bend broke valvetrain. but im betting on spark
Replaced the coil pack on #6. AFR is back to reading between 14.5-15 at idle and driving. It is also correcting itself where it couldn't before. The #6 plug was also replaced and doesn't look bad. Still a small misfire but noting too noticeable. Will replace rest of plugs when engine is cooled down. Any additional thoughts? It was tuned almost 3 months ago and have put 7000 miles on it with out a problem until then. I know I need a tune by Frost, but is it safe to drive now?

Old 06-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

Back to the same issue. Running lean and choking out. Here's a short video of the AFR gauge reading. Sorry my hand is shaky!

Old 06-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

So tonight I tore off the intake manifold and started to clean up the mess caused by the OPSU being cracked and broke. I found tan paper in the #6 intake on the block... Thats a problem!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 00 T/A Ron Burgondy
Come to find out it seems to be a bad ignition coil on #6. Read the spark between 15-18k when should be 10-12k. So chances are I am going to have to change out the plugs and wires since it is firing so high. Is something that the tune could have caused?
How did you read the spark (and in what units are those numbers)...?
Old 06-13-2012, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by joecar
How did you read the spark (and in what units are those numbers)...?
The garage I took it to was showing me the spark on his computer.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 00 T/A Ron Burgondy
The garage I took it to was showing me the spark on his computer.
If he gave you images of the waveforms we might be able to tell what's wrong (from the shape of the waveform)...
Old 06-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

I will see if we can get the waveforms. I have sent the PCM out to Frost for a Tune. I pulled the intake off last night and its as all gummed up on the valley cover, the PCV had deteriorated and OPSU was broken. All things I needed to do, so figured I'd do them while the PCM was gone. I found this between the Intake and the Block on #6...

I am sure that doesn't hep the matter now does it?
Old 06-13-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

What is that in your pic, I don't recognize it or where it's from.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by joecar
What is that in your pic, I don't recognize it or where it's from.
I pulled that out of the number 6 inlet between the intake and block. Not sure how it got there since the screen is on the MAF.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

TB Before
TB After

Valley Cover Before

Valley Cover After
Old 06-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Staging Lane

Here's an update.

As you can see I pulled the intake and found something in #6. Replace the OPSU and PCV system and have ordered a Catch Can. I also sent out the PCM to Frost for a tune. While waiting for the PCM to come back, I cleaned the intake, TB, MAF, Valley and several other odds and ends. Replaced all the seals on the intake (Sure there was a leak there also) and reassembled everything.

Friday night I got an email from Frost letting me know that nothing had been done in my previous tune by someone else. The only thing that had been changed was the max MPH to 200MPH... Chaps my *** on that, considering I paid $400 for the tune and some pulls on the dyno.

Seeing that I had deleted the EGR & AIR, added LTH's, ORY and SLP LM 2, SLP air lid and WB O2 and all new O2's, there should have been a proper tune. Now I have had to go back and replace plugs, wires, O2's and burned out coil packs... I hope that once I get the PCM back in that things are back to normal and no other damage was done.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

Got my PCM back from Frost this morning. Threw it in and started the car up. Due to the rain wasn't able to get right out and do a test drive. After running a couple of cycles it leans out and dies. Start over again and same thing...Leans out and dies... So, I jacked the front end up, rolled underneath and for ****'s and giggles, replaced the O2 on bank 2... The rain subsided and I waited just long enough to let the roads dry and took it for a drive. Long behold, there's the problem! It did force me into doing the projects I was going to wait to do until this winter. It's always the simple things, isn't it?

Guess we'll move on to other projects with it now! Thanks Frost for helping me get it back on the road! The tightened shift point from 1st to 2nd was so tight compared to the stock that it took my already ruptured disc in my back and forced it out of my spleen. Then when I mashed the gas at a rolling 30 the *** end came out and let me lay a stretch of 11's down the street. Also noticed that it doesn't dump into over drive between 45-55 causing it to bog down! One word...YES!

Last edited by 00 T/A Ron Burgondy; 06-18-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Quick Reply: HELP - Flashing SES, Lean bank 1, # 6 misfire, AFR reading 17 - off charts...