General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

windshield wiper switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default windshield wiper switch

Hey all, Im trying to get info on how to remove and replace the windshield wiper switch that is on the outside of the steering column. Let me explain.. Ive been having a hard time getting my hi beams to click on and off lately, I clicked them too hard the other day and broke the little plastic arm that is part of this wnd. wiper switch. I know this because when I removed the plastic cover on the back where the turn signal lever and switch is it fell out. Looking up a pic of this switch confirmed that it is part of this switch. Also i removed another cover inside there and the dimmer acctuator arm was **** eyed and jammed. When I tried to put it back into place it popped out. So I need to replace this switch and put things back in place. My question is how do you get to it and what do I have to take apart to get it out and replaced. I know I have to take the steering wheel off but how do you take off the top part of the column? Has anyone ever had this problem and replaced this switch? I would like to do this myself, at a shop they told me its going to be $200 in labor just to take the wheel off and column apart to see what they got to do. Thats $400 to take it apart and put it back together without even replacing anything. Then you got to add in the cost of the switch which is around $150. Its an outrageous price all together. Ive worked in the column before but never could figure out how to take off the top part of the column. No worries about airbag i have a Grant steering wheel i put on last year. I need this switch replaced so I can get my hi beams working to pass inspection. Please help.
The following users liked this post:
TRANS2002 (02-26-2024)
Old 11-26-2021, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tscbrook
Hey all, Im trying to get info on how to remove and replace the windshield wiper switch that is on the outside of the steering column. Let me explain.. Ive been having a hard time getting my hi beams to click on and off lately, I clicked them too hard the other day and broke the little plastic arm that is part of this wnd. wiper switch. I know this because when I removed the plastic cover on the back where the turn signal lever and switch is it fell out. Looking up a pic of this switch confirmed that it is part of this switch. Also i removed another cover inside there and the dimmer acctuator arm was **** eyed and jammed. When I tried to put it back into place it popped out. So I need to replace this switch and put things back in place. My question is how do you get to it and what do I have to take apart to get it out and replaced. I know I have to take the steering wheel off but how do you take off the top part of the column? Has anyone ever had this problem and replaced this switch? I would like to do this myself, at a shop they told me its going to be $200 in labor just to take the wheel off and column apart to see what they got to do. Thats $400 to take it apart and put it back together without even replacing anything. Then you got to add in the cost of the switch which is around $150. Its an outrageous price all together. Ive worked in the column before but never could figure out how to take off the top part of the column. No worries about airbag i have a Grant steering wheel i put on last year. I need this switch replaced so I can get my hi beams working to pass inspection. Please help.
I am having the same exact problem. Did you ever figure out how to get it apart?
Old 06-10-2022, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tscbrook
Same- Can anyone confirm if the high beam follower can just be put back in without removing the wheel?
Old 06-11-2022, 07:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

this might help
Old 06-14-2022, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bgw70

ty so much, saw this along with all the others.

I actually was finally able to get everything back in, after I tried everything for hours......

so it is possible to put that follower back in once it falls out without taking off the wheel or going farther into the column. The high beams do work again, you just must make sure the high beam switch below the dash is fully pushed towards the rear of the car (you may need to lower the column to get to the screws and tighten them)

AND the cover on the left pivot pin goes in correctly tightening the plastic high beam follower. YOU MUST unscrew the tilt rod with locking pliers if you want this plastic pivot cover out.

I hope this helps other people,
thanks again

Last edited by jeinhorn; 06-26-2022 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-17-2022, 07:06 AM
Teching In

Quick Reply: windshield wiper switch