View Full Version : PTSD for DOD Civilians?

06-08-2012, 08:23 PM
I work for a DOD Army Depot. Ever since my first deployment to Balad in '04 up-armoring FMTV's, I've had severe anxiety and depression, probably due to several near death experiences. I did a year in Iraq in '08 at Liberty working on MRAPs and saw some awful stuff. I did a year in Kuwait in '10 working on MRAPs as well. I've had a short fuse and panic attacks. I don't know who to go see to check me out and see if I do have this. I'm on Zoloft and Xanax to help mellow me out but it doesn't always work. What would you guys suggest? Thanks in advance.

06-08-2012, 10:51 PM
You were there as a civilian?

06-08-2012, 11:13 PM
Yea. Still had mortars and rockets hitting all around me every day, rebuilding MRAPs that had been blown up and still had remains in them.

06-09-2012, 12:34 AM
Yea. Still had mortars and rockets hitting all around me every day, rebuilding MRAPs that had been blown up and still had remains in them.

if you were there as a civilian, then you were most likely there as a DOD employee, and should be under the same medical care like i have for active duty service. if so then you can get your condition looked at there. if you wernt a DOD employee or gov worker well yes you can still get treated just youll have to pay out of pocket and not from a military hospital.

06-11-2012, 12:56 PM
psychologist and a different psychiatrist. if your meds are not working and the doc wont change them, change docs.

06-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Yea I was there as a DOD civilian. Still work for the Army since 2001. Going to my doc Friday and see what changes we may try. Might go to the clinic here and see what these Dr.'s have to say. Thanks for the encouragement from those of you trying to help. I really appreciate it.

07-06-2012, 12:07 PM
are you out at red river in texarkana

07-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Has to be Red River if he was doing battle damage on MRAPS as DOD. IF you ever got a truck that had remains in it still The SAIC and Gov lead there were not doing there job the unit was supposed to take the truck to mortuary affairs and get it sign off as having no remains and the Person that accepted the truck for repair is supposed to inspect it before any of the crew touches the truck. I have worked on the MRAP program for 5 years 3.5 over seas working on the Comms on the Battle damaged trucks the worst i ever got was blood still in them and we had some bad ones come thru

07-07-2012, 05:44 PM
The right question should be is what is your Medical Insurance policy. Can you go to a specialist. If the answer is yes, then by all means go. Any Medical Doctor can refer you to a specialist. PTSD isn't solely for those who are in the military. Anyone can get it by being in a traumatic event. Even something as simple as a near miss in a car, someone can have it.

Personally, I have PTS. I don't have the Disorder. I know I'm always alert, aware of my surroundings, and I know all the exits when I go into a building. I just don't have it where I cannot function in life.

Seek help, not all treatments may work for you, because the mind is different for everyone. Lastly, don't give up. There are people always here for you, even if you were a DOD Civilian working down range.