View Full Version : Are these drag results OK?

BigBirdLS1
06-09-2012, 12:16 PM
Last night I went to the local strip and I had a great time but I am wanting to know if my car was up to par. The car is in sig and if you have any questions feel free to ask and BTW all of my runs were N/A I didn't use the N20. My two best runs were
60' 1.98 1.95
330' 5.44 5.45
ET 8.27 8.29
mph 89.06 88.36

It was an 1/8 mile track, the track prep is pretty much non existant. I was on 255/50/16 BFG drag radials, stock replacement clutch, factroy 10 bolt with 3.90 gears. The car weighed 3450 lbs. with 1/4 tank of gas no driver. So what do you guys think is there more left in it.

skopers3
06-09-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm no track expert, but just for a comparison my best time recently was a 8.42 in the 1/8th with mods in my sig.

BigBirdLS1
06-09-2012, 02:13 PM
I'm on the mobile site so I can't see your mods sorry. But when I was a bolton gears car I ran a 8.37 with basically the same 60' but I gained 5mph. Looks like my issue is getting out of the hole and spinning in 2nd gear.

BigBirdLS1
06-09-2012, 04:00 PM
I'm no track expert, but just for a comparison my best time recently was a 8.42 in the 1/8th with mods in my sig.

Looking at your mods you look right on par to what a bolton car should do at least at the track I always run at. Also are you a auto or 6spd? And could you tell me your 60' and trap speed if you know please.

lemons12
06-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Huntsville?

MPH is very low... You have a cam and heads, correct?

What was the DA?

ET is slow also but that is because of the 60'.

flattusmaximus78
06-09-2012, 04:46 PM
I ran an 8.3 with 3.27's, 3000 stall, full exhaust, slp lid, and 28" radials which are wayyyy to big. Check with your tuner. Your 60' isn't good by any means, but it def says you weren't spinning on the limiter or anything. Should have ran in the 7's at least at 95 plus mph.

lemons12
06-09-2012, 04:54 PM
The 60' sucks because of track prep/stock rear/not sticky enough tires/M6... Therefore the et is slower than it should be.

flattusmaximus78
06-09-2012, 05:01 PM
The 60' sucks because of track prep/stock rear/not sticky enough tires/M6... Therefore the et is slower than it should be.

That is a bad 60', but it wouldn't stop that car from getting into the 7's. Unless the op shifts extreeeeeemmmmmeeeellly slow he should still trap 95 plus like cake. Should prob be higher.

lemons12
06-09-2012, 05:04 PM
That is a bad 60', but it wouldn't stop that car from getting into the 7's. Unless the op shifts extreeeeeemmmmmeeeellly slow he should still trap 95 plus like cake. Should prob be higher.

With that MPH it won't get him in the 7s though, that was kind of my point.

The ET/60' isn't the main problem because there were so many things effecting it to be slow
The MPH is definitely an issue.

Correct, mph should be 95-96mph.

flattusmaximus78
06-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Agreed

Cra-Z Larry
06-09-2012, 05:39 PM
This is a catch 22 deal....you need to 60' better to ET/MPH better, BUT dead hooking w/ sticky tires means you also need a new rear!!! That 10 bolt won't hold up to an M6 launch to many times, and trying to launch with a controlled spin is next to impossible!! Best results may be to just drive it off the line then floor it. Also whats up with the H/C/N20 hp/tq numbers??? You gained 21 hp and lost 10 tq w/100 shot??? Seems odd to me.....Larry.

skopers3
06-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Looking at your mods you look right on par to what a bolton car should do at least at the track I always run at. Also are you a auto or 6spd? And could you tell me your 60' and trap speed if you know please.

I'm an auto with stock stall. Not sure on the 60 or trap; can't find my slips.

BigBirdLS1
06-09-2012, 09:49 PM
My mph seems ok to me. Yes this was Huntsville. I leave the line basically at idle and floor it. Any type of clutch dump and it spins. The car is a H/C 224R cam and PRC 5.3 heads. Stock rear clutch and hydraulics combined with bad track prep is my issue. These were N/A passes nitrous was not used.

For reference an 01 SS 370ci with a 9inch was running slower 60' ET and mph than me.

Also to gain 5mph with a small cam and basic heads I feel was pretty good.

z28241
06-09-2012, 10:21 PM
O.P. For your h.p. and suspension mods u should be deep 7's..Wait a minute, Ill ask, do u have an aftermarket Torque Arm?

BigBirdLS1
06-09-2012, 10:46 PM
Deep 7s N/A on stock rear clutch and 3610 lbs w/me in it leaving the line at basically idle isn't gonna happen. Not in my neck of the woods anyway.

No I don't have an aftermarket torque arm though.

lemons12
06-09-2012, 10:57 PM
My mph seems ok to me. Yes this was Huntsville. I leave the line basically at idle and floor it. Any type of clutch dump and it spins. The car is a H/C 224R cam and PRC 5.3 heads. Stock rear clutch and hydraulics combined with bad track prep is my issue. These were N/A passes nitrous was not used.

For reference an 01 SS 370ci with a 9inch was running slower 60' ET and mph than me.

Also to gain 5mph with a small cam and basic heads I feel was pretty good.

MPH is way way low... You should be 92mph on the low end.

Don't compare your car to another, his might be having major issues as well or a horrible setup.

Who did the tune?

Bolt on auto cars run high 80s in Huntsville. Did you figure out what the DA was?
Do you have a video of the pass? Clutch slipping? Stock clutch with that power isn't going to like you at all.

BigBirdLS1
06-10-2012, 12:25 AM
MPH is way way low... You should be 92mph on the low end.

Don't compare your car to another, his might be having major issues as well or a horrible setup.

Who did the tune?

Bolt on auto cars run high 80s in Huntsville. Did you figure out what the DA was?
Do you have a video of the pass? Clutch slipping? Stock clutch with that power isn't going to like you at all.

Lemons I am not saying it hasn't happened, but I have never seen a bolton
F-body that is full weight trap higher than 85-86. That is a 6spd car though.

The tune was done by Lane at Hinson Motorsports. I have a video of one pass I will try to get it. My clutch very well could be slipping, but I honestly don't know. I was however fighting to get in 3rd gear.

Dumb question but how do I find out the DA.

lemons12
06-10-2012, 12:45 AM
Lemons I am not saying it hasn't happened, but I have never seen a bolton
F-body that is full weight trap higher than 85-86. That is a 6spd car though.

The tune was done by Lane at Hinson Motorsports. I have a video of one pass I will try to get it. My clutch very well could be slipping, but I honestly don't know. I was however fighting to get in 3rd gear.

Dumb question but how do I find out the DA.

DA:
http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-altitude-calculator.php

Buddies setup last year-
1998 100% full weight trans am.. Actually more cause of gym bag/etc that he didn't clean out LOL
Pacesetters LTs with x pipe and 1 chambers before axle
PTC 4000 converter
SLP lid

273 gears, ls1 intake, stock tune, etc...

Trapped 88mph consistently..

My old setup... 226 cam hand ported/milled 317s ls6 intake full bolt ons etc 3450 race weight PTC 4000 converter 373s... In 2200 DA I was running 7.3s@94-95mph with a nitrous tune on the car.

When my white car was stock (lid and loudmouth) I ran 8.4@84mph in Huntsville..

All ^^^^ times were in Huntsville. Every single car with a cam we have taken down there runs 92-93+mph.. All the bolt on cars run 87-90mph..

I promise you that you should have a MUCH higher MPH, something is up. There is WAY WAY more left in that setup.
Would you consider letting my tuner take a look at it to make sure everything is squared away on that end?

Get that vid if you can, wouldn't mind seeing your shifts. Fighting 3rd isn't going to help the mph at all. I definitely think a clutch would help you a lot.

lemons12
06-10-2012, 12:47 AM
Without knowing what your an if I met you at Hville and you told me your mods... I would have guessed 94mph minimum with everything going the way it should. I could see 96-97 out of it in some good air.

BigBirdLS1
06-10-2012, 01:01 AM
DA:
http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-altitude-calculator.php

Buddies setup last year-
1998 100% full weight trans am.. Actually more cause of gym bag/etc that he didn't clean out LOL
Pacesetters LTs with x pipe and 1 chambers before axle
PTC 4000 converter
SLP lid

273 gears, ls1 intake, stock tune, etc...

Trapped 88mph consistently..

My old setup... 226 cam hand ported/milled 317s ls6 intake full bolt ons etc 3450 race weight PTC 4000 converter 373s... In 2200 DA I was running 7.3s@94-95mph with a nitrous tune on the car.

When my white car was stock (lid and loudmouth) I ran 8.4@84mph in Huntsville..

All ^^^^ times were in Huntsville. Every single car with a cam we have taken down there runs 92-93+mph.. All the bolt on cars run 87-90mph..

I promise you that you should have a MUCH higher MPH, something is up. There is WAY WAY more left in that setup.
Would you consider letting my tuner take a look at it to make sure everything is squared away on that end?

Get that vid if you can, wouldn't mind seeing your shifts. Fighting 3rd isn't going to help the mph at all. I definitely think a clutch would help you a lot.

I checked the DA and it was 2051ft. That T/A with that stall is definitely gonna come out of the whole faster than my 6spd. I will admit my shifting leaves some to be desired but throwing ~150hp more than my clutch is rated for isn't ideal.

The vid I won't get till Monday a co-worker has it on his phone. I watched it and the car would launch off the line, rpm's would climb and then spin a little bit, tires would grab nose of the car would fall, then shift to 2nd.

I definitely wouldn't mind having a second set of eyes looking at the tune. It does run hard but maybe there is something not exactly right. One one run my car was off in the staging lanes I cranked it and started to pull to the water box it died. Cranked back up and 10 seconds later died again. Started right back up did the burn out and car died right after the burn out.
The car ran perfectly fine after that at the track and the ride home.

Who is your tuner and when are we talking about looking at it.

lemons12
06-10-2012, 01:08 AM
Hville stays around 1700-2200 DA so I figured you were somewhere in there. Start checking DA after every track visit... Lets you know how much the weather effected your new times.

Without a doubt.. But an M6 should pull harder on the top end, which yours isn't. Stalled simple bolt on cars are MPHing the same, my car had you by 6+mph in worse DA and similar weights, something is up...

What is the reason for the stock clutch?

I'm not sure what the dying problem would be contributed to.

Gomer... When our cars our done we're all going to Hville for him to tune them. Should be 1.5-2 months out or so.

BigBirdLS1
06-10-2012, 01:25 AM
Hville stays around 1700-2200 DA so I figured you were somewhere in there. Start checking DA after every track visit... Lets you know how much the weather effected your new times.

Without a doubt.. But an M6 should pull harder on the top end, which yours isn't. Stalled simple bolt on cars are MPHing the same, my car had you by 6+mph in worse DA and similar weights, something is up...

What is the reason for the stock clutch?

I'm not sure what the dying problem would be contributed to.

Gomer... When our cars our done we're all going to Hville for him to tune them. Should be 1.5-2 months out or so.

The reason for the stock clutch is when it went bad this car was my DD. It was around christmas time so I was low on cash. I only had money for a stock replacement plus the car was boltons only too. All the other mods were done after that. When this clutch goes I will be doing a complete kit, tick master and all.

I did a little math and on the back half of the track it took me 2.823 seconds. With my bolton PB it took 2.9293 seconds. Between those runs there was a mph difference of 4.84. To have gained that mph with everything else being the same tells me yeah my first and second gear needs work BADLY.

I shift into 3rd about 150ft before the finish so that is more lost momentum.
I've heard good things about Gomer I may just have him look at my tune to be sure. Have you by chance heard any good/bad about Lane at Hinson over in Lacey Springs he did this tune.

BigBirdLS1
06-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Here is a crappy vid of the last run of the night. The quality sucks as far as seeing but you can hear the car and YES my shifting needs work. Plus you can hear the tire spin on launch too.

I will be getting hopefully a better vid of the same run on Monday.

http://picture.vzw.com/pub/share/guestMessage.do?invite=AE1r4E7XmPkSCULakhr8

lemons12
06-11-2012, 03:51 AM
Can't see anything my man, link maybe broke?

BigBirdLS1
06-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Can't see anything my man, link maybe broke?

Link works for me thats weird. I am not at work today but tomorrow I should be able to get the video and then I'll post it here and hopefully it will work. Maybe then you will be able to see what my issue is.

M1tch
06-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Even with tire spin your trap should still be higher. Sometimes on bad launches i would have higher traps because spinning was keeping my rpms up. I'm trapping 86 in the 1/8 with mods in sig and i'm probably only making 33x rwhp. If i got a 3.5" pipe and cutout i might even do 87 or so