Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Injector malfunction still won't go away... Need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector malfunction still won't go away... Need help

Okay so here is what's going on. It all started out with the car sputtering really bad. It would start to pickup on the top of every gear and act as if it was loading up to rocket the car. Well come to find out my old Walbro's gears ate themselves alive and started spitting out the gears into my injectors which basically caused #7 to go completely out. So I had a new pump, new filter, new injectors installed along with the entire system being flushed out. When I got the car back it ran like a champ. No issues felt great thru every gear and no issues with idle. Well coming home last night it started to feel like the engine was loading up again. I would say about 5 blocks away from home is when the service engine light came on and I just began to shake my head in disgust. Hooked it up to my digital diagnostic meter and injector malfunction p0200 came up. I cleared the code and let it sit for about 30mins. Started it back up took it for a spin and the same thing happened.

Now I am totally lost and not what else to do? All the injectors have been ohm and no changes in the numbers. Anything and everything that involves the electronics of the fuel system has been tested and checked out. What else could be missing from all this?

I NEED HELP!!!
Old 06-11-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

" Well come to find out my old Walbro's gears ate themselves alive and started spitting out the gears into my injectors which basically caused #7 to go completely out."

I've been doing this for a long time... have never heard of the pump taking a dump to the point that the gears ended up in the injs...
P0200 is a circuit malfunction that may not even involve the injs.
Have you checked fuel psi?
Done a data log?
Gone over the wiring?

Some ideas:
Potential causes of an P0200 code include:
Open or shorted injector. You checked this?
Injector low internal resistance (basically an injector that works, but is out of specs) You said you checked this.
Grounded driver circuit
Open driver circuit
Driver circuit shorted to voltage
Wiring harness intermittently shorting against underhood components

Last edited by Old Geezer; 06-11-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
" Well come to find out my old Walbro's gears ate themselves alive and started spitting out the gears into my injectors which basically caused #7 to go completely out."

I've been doing this for a long time... have never heard of the pump taking a dump to the point that the gears ended up in the injs...
P0200 is a circuit malfunction that may not even involve the injs.
Have you checked fuel psi?
Done a data log?
Gone over the wiring?

Some ideas:
Potential causes of an P0200 code include:
Open or shorted injector. You checked this?
Injector low internal resistance (basically an injector that works, but is out of specs) You said you checked this.
Grounded driver circuit
Open driver circuit
Driver circuit shorted to voltage
Wiring harness intermittently shorting against underhood components
All the above you have listed has been done. The pump did destroy itself and not much was left of the gears. The factory wiring diagram was busted out and each wire within the electrical system was tested and all checked out with not a single issue. It will throw code and then clear itself. So far its not a constant and does it at very random. So chasing it down has been more than just taking a test probe to it and changing out all injectors plus pump. But as we speak the issue is being checked again and we shall see what the end results are. Hopefully by tomorrow I will be able to post the results.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did your diagnosis of this problem turn out? I have the same intermittent problem and throwing the p0200 code. Did you ever find the cause? I know last resort is the pcm
Old 05-17-2013, 02:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a broken wire inside the insulation.
Couldn't tell it by looking at it. It also ohm out good.
NOID light said it was good.
Mine was broke right by one of the injectors. Where the wire bends going into the injector.

Quick Reply: Injector malfunction still won't go away... Need help