Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

First time LS1 buyer.......need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time LS1 buyer.......need advice

Great site. Been lurking this forum for a few of days now and finally have the car I'm looking for. So need your help.

http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/cto/3002894400.html

I'm going to check this car out tomorrow if you guys think its worth it.

Never owned a Camaro or an LS1 before but not new to the car scene. I'm looking for a modern car / power plant with a sound and power of an 60's muscle car. This car seem to fit the bill. And low mileage to boot.

Car has A/C delete and need tires. Per seller paint and interior in excellent shape.

What are your thoughts on the mods done to this car? Is it reliable? This will be just a weekend cruiser for me.

Do you think with all the mods done to the car that it will yield 500 HP like the seller is claiming?

Does the stock rear end be able handle and last with this level of horsepower?

Is the asking price fair? Whats a fair offer?

I need an opinionated answer based on what you see on paper -- I know it's difficult to make a judgment based on a CL ad, but based on your past experience, let me have it -- good or bad.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by sammatt1; 06-11-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

With those mods, 400 at the wheels. Good buy none the less. That's a really good price.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't even buy it, how the **** do you have LS7 heads that are 243 castings, that would be an LS6 head, huge differance. and with his mods, he's more like 400 hp like somone else said, not 500 hp....

Id be weary, knowing this car was beat on...anyone that talks about "how powerful it is" in the manner in which he did knows nothing about cars. Even though a head/cam camaro is still a quick car, and much faster then average but still. And its "Chipped" and tuned...so...

Id go over it with a fine tooth comb....but otherwise price looks fair.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by baalic
I wouldn't even buy it, how the **** do you have LS7 heads that are 243 castings, that would be an LS6 head, huge differance. and with his mods, he's more like 400 hp like somone else said, not 500 hp....

Id be weary, knowing this car was beat on...anyone that talks about "how powerful it is" in the manner in which he did knows nothing about cars. Even though a head/cam camaro is still a quick car, and much faster then average but still. And its "Chipped" and tuned...so...

Id go over it with a fine tooth comb....but otherwise price looks fair.
This this the kinda of response that I'm looking for -- to see if the seller's description makes sense and if he knows what he is talking about. There are a lot of numbers mentioned on the ad that I'm not certain what they mean.

What are the obviousl signs that this car has been beat on? I know virtually nothing about these cars so thats why I'm here looking for advise.

I am going to have a good talk with the seller today so pls let me know some good questions to ask regarding the validity of this car.

Pls keep the comments coming. thx
Old 06-11-2012, 08:16 AM
TECH Regular

Unless he is also spraying, it doesn't have 500 HP. I would guess around 420 or so.

The way he talks about the car looks awfully shady. Then again, he did mention that he didn't do all the work himself. He's probably just not very mechanically inclined.

Pricre is definitely good.

As far as things to ask him, I would ask the following :

-Ask to see receipts of everything done, as well as what milage the car was at for each.

-He says it runs 11s with slicks. The rearends in these car are notorious for breaking after abuse or track use. Especially on a slick at the strip. I would ask him if the car has an aftermarket rearend. Either way, when and if you test drive it, listen closely for any howling or sounds coming from the rear while youre driving.

-Other than that just look at what you would when buying any used car. Check the engine oil, trans oil, etc. Look for any signs of abuse or wear.

As long as everything checks out, get it. The price is certainly right.

Last edited by redlineracing; 06-11-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bull shoot.....500hp lol
Old 06-11-2012, 09:37 AM

Talk to the seller and he said everything was done by a GM mechanic. He also mentioned that its 400+ hp at the wheels, 500 at the crank.

This guy is definitely kinda shady since the first thing he said was the asking price in CL is wrong (someone changed it on him, yeah right!). Now he wants another grand for it and he wants me to buy it right now. I mean now. Otherwise the dealer would give him more money for it. I told him that he is not pressuring me on buying this car. He got really upset and said "forget it".

I guess the search continues..............

thx for all the input guys.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sammatt1
This this the kinda of response that I'm looking for -- to see if the seller's description makes sense and if he knows what he is talking about. There are a lot of numbers mentioned on the ad that I'm not certain what they mean.

What are the obviousl signs that this car has been beat on? I know virtually nothing about these cars so thats why I'm here looking for advise.

I am going to have a good talk with the seller today so pls let me know some good questions to ask regarding the validity of this car.

Pls keep the comments coming. thx
Obvious signs of abuse...look for neglect also:

-things that are "rigged" vice fixed
-like someone else posted, check fluids
-worn clutch, brake, gas pedals
-listen for ticks, knocks, etc.
-check for rust on body panels and under car

always ask the seller if he by chance has maintenance records or any "extras" that come with the car.

This list obviously isn't all inclusive, but it's a start. Hope it helps.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:14 AM

Wow, he sounds like an ****. Probably a lucky escape there...
Old 06-13-2012, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Ya, dealer isn't going to give him **** for it, they will be lucky to give him 5k for it.....because then they are going to mark it up to 12k and sell it for 9k...... jussayin...

With all the "upgrades" .....it's been beat on, rest assured. but, it could have been one of those arnold swarwzaf-bodys and not want to die kinda car, but rest assure when it does, it will be a pretty spectacular death! LOL

good dodge on that, never fun to buy cars from a douchebag.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

looks like he pulled the ad because the link is gone. haha. He seemed like a jackass anyway. I had great success with buying a Camaro off CL so don't let it deter you too much. A 2000 SS with 43,000 miles, clean carfax and still shined like it would on the showroom floor, garaged kept. He had to sell due to bankruptcy...so keep looking because they ARE out there.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:11 AM

I didnt get to see the ad since he took it down, but staleycornell is right. I just picked up a 99 z28 6spd with 115k and immaculate paint and interior for $4800. Good deals are out there.