Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor mount problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor mount problem

I'm sure this has been hashed out a "few" times here....... I am swapping in a 6.0 w /T56 in my 69 Camaro. Using the S&P plates, factory motor mounts and S&Ps trans mount. I had to slot the from mounts to get the holes to line up and slid the motor / trans in.....here is were the REAL issue are..... Bolting the trans x-member to the tail shaft and then jacking the trans into position jams the top on the trans into the tunnel and the trans member is still 3/4"-1" from mating with the sub-frame. Not to mention the 6 degrees of drop at the yoke. Anyone have an issue like this. I am using a Holley conversion oil pan and frame mounts from a 60 Camaro (327/307). I don't want to start hacking at the tunnel, as it seems most guys are getting these in with no issue?????
Old 06-11-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The T56 is a large Transmission, I think most swaps into the 1st gen F-Body will require some transmission tunnel modification.

It could be a simple T-Cut/Slot and welding in some new metal once you have spread the T Cut out some.
Some have be able to get away with just cutting the top off and extending it upwards some.
And then their ar the one that have completely cut almost all of the area of the transmission tunnel out and built an new tunnel.

I think if your research you will find this. The only other way is to move the engine/transmission forward enough so that you can gain some clearance. But then you might run into pan to steering issue or front accessory contact. And usually notching the Pan will be required or using a pan with a small rear sump configuration.

BC
Old 06-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Teching In

anyone else have any thoughts???
Old 06-13-2012, 06:56 AM
Teching In

I am in the process of doing the same swap in my 69 Camaro. I used the Detroit Speed motor mounts part number 060401 and the same Holley oil pan. I had to notch my front crossmember approx 3/4" for clearance to line up my motor mounts with the frame stands. I am not familiar with the S&P mounts, but if your front subframe didn't require clearancing, your engine probable sits a little higher . This inturn would also raise the trans. I didn't have to cut my floor for the transmission. I would think that lowering the front of the motor would give you the clearance you need to not cut the trans tunnel.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:42 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the input........I May just have to start cutting.

Quick Reply: Motor mount problem