Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Hood problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hood problems

Hey everyone, I recently bought a firehawk hood for my 99 firebird and cannot find the hood latch to save my life, I was wondering if you guys could post some pictures of the latch for me and some specs, like the bracket size, how the cable thing works, anything at this point would be helpful. I plan on trying to make something that will work with it, but there's just so little information out there i'm having a ton of trouble. To anyone that can help thank you!
Old 06-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it a solid piece of metal or the one that looks like a metal rod bent to form a handle? The one that looks like the clothes hanger, you have to make. The other one you can buy. Im shure since your having issues finding it, its the weird one. I will be making mine when I get home. I would post some pics but deployed. :-( FML!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Teching In

The one that looks like a clothes hanger! haha How do you plan on making yours? I was thinking about just modifying the solid metal one, just cutting off that piece that hits the bumper, honestly I don't know which piece that is, but taking that off and welding something different on, I have no clue man lol
Old 06-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Launching!

You can replace the other hood latch with it but I am a fan of stock. Exspecially when it comes to things such as this. If yours is broken like mine......just that metal rod.....I will replace it with one that I will make. You can probably go to Home Depot or something, and find the same kind of rod. I was going to bend it to look the same with a brake line kit then send it out to get powder coated. Then just pull off the retaining nut and replace it. Hopefully you have the same location that it is broken.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Teching In

I think we are talking about 2 different things :/ The firehawk hood latch is a pull latch mounted on this triangle bracket.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Yea underneath the hood right? There are two different styles. The one the you lift up or the one you pull out. The one you pull out is the one you have correct? If so then we have the same one but if you have the one that you lift up then yes we are talking about two different ones. Sorry for the confussion
Old 06-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Teching In

No I have the firebird one, the regular I'm looking for the other one :/
Old 06-13-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You the same one looking for info on the Firehawk website?
If so, ..., Go look at the photos I posted there.