Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling Under The Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 01:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling Under The Car

hello,
out of no where, my car has a slight rattle (like bb's in a can) at idle, and during acceleration at times under the car. it's a "generic" sound, like my exhaust was loose or something. i checked under the car, and nothing seems to be loose. it's not overbearing and loud, just annoying as hell.
it sounds like it's directly under my center console, on the passenger side. can this be a bad cat-converter? if not, can someone please let me know what this might be?. i have about 58k on the car, with no major problems to date.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:05 AM
Teching In

samething happen to me in my 2000 ws. I bent the exhaust where y pipe connects to the cat back. It rubs the underside. Subframes connectors should have been my first bolt on.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:35 AM
TECH Addict

Mine does the same thing, but nothing's rubbing and everything's tight. It kinda sounds like my exhaust is loose, like the popping when the friction, i guess, keeps it from moving, but it does a little. It's hard to explain this noise, but it's annoying as hell.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

just dealt with this issuea fter my long tube install with a catted y pipe. I blew out the screens in both cats...BAD. and it got trapped inside the cat itself and would rattle just like you said, its like bb's in a paint can. I just too them out, built myself a new y pipe welded **** in, and on my way. you can have a place cut them out for you and either replace them or put in a peice of pipe and not run cats atleast thats what i did and it sounds good!
Old 03-31-2004, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by slik98z
just dealt with this issuea fter my long tube install with a catted y pipe. I blew out the screens in both cats...BAD. and it got trapped inside the cat itself and would rattle just like you said, its like bb's in a paint can. I just too them out, built myself a new y pipe welded **** in, and on my way. you can have a place cut them out for you and either replace them or put in a peice of pipe and not run cats atleast thats what i did and it sounds good!
thanks slik and everyone else-
assuming this is my problem, i am up for a smog in may!! man that stinks. i guess i will just replace the cat (s). is there any way i can be 101% sure it is the cat? thanks so much for your help.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just a thought, but could it be the Catalytic Converter heat sheild. On my older cars, these always seemed to break welds and come loose. I don't know if this would be the same thing in this case. (I can't remember if the stock cats have a heat shield).
I just wanted to add this if it could be of some help.

Tony
Old 03-31-2004, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Mine rattles but I have LT's and an ORY.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check your exhaust clamps at the end of your Y pipe. Mine did the same thing, and when they heated up, it went away. Just a thought!!