Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Z06 Smog Pump/Check Valve Tick

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2003 Z06 Smog Pump/Check Valve Tick

Well after taking my car to the dealer they have comfirmed with me that what i thought was an exhaust leak is a check valve in the intake manifold that is failing and causing a ticking noise under load acceleration. They have to pull off the intake manifold and replace the check valves since i have a ticking noise and its bothering me a bit. How do i disable the smog pump, is there a switch or fuse just to see if the noise goes away. Even if i disable the smog pump will the ticking noise from the check valves go away or do i need to remove the entire pump? Were is the location of the smog pump as well? Thanks for any advice.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:27 PM
12 Second Club

Do you mean the air pump that connects to the headers/manifolds? This can be removed by capping the header ports closed and removing the pump itself which is located in the drivers front fender/bumper area. It will require you to tune out the codes though. I took mine off a long time ago.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they said the smog pump, the check valves are inside the intake manifold since they were telling me they need to remove the intake manifold to get to 2 of them. Atleast thats what there telling me i wish i new cars better. The delaership is a rip off, lol they were charging me 75 for each check valve were there 33 each and gasket kit for the intake manifold they were charging me 180.00 when its 50.00, lol. I dont even want to get into on labor costs they were going to charge me.

Last edited by karpetcm; 06-13-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:11 PM
12 Second Club

The only thing under the manifold is the valley cover and knock sensors. You have two ports on your exhaust manifolds that hook up to an air pump in the front of your driver fender. Alot of guys buy block off plates and rip all that stuff out and just tune out the codes. Are you close to any performance shops that deal with lsx vehicles? Id take the car there, screw the dealership.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ya the dealership is just weird man, the noise for sure is coming from the motor area passenger side. I have no idea why he needed to take the manifold off and him saying there check valves that are making the noises inside the intake manifold. I guess its the smog stuff near the motor which is a check valve on the exhaust manifolds that in turn goes to the air pump. Why in the world does he have to charge me 450 for labor and a couple of hundred for parts to replace i have NO IDEA. This is why i told him no thank you and left, i have no mechanical skill at all but thank god for the forums, lol. Thanks alot Sprayed1998
Old 06-13-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went downstairs to look at the check valves that come off the exhaust manifolds and the drivers side is directly in front of you which makes it easy but the one on the passenger side goes behind the intake manifold which sucks, lol. but you can disconnect it off the headers and just cap it there to make things easy.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

Check to see if your spark plug cables are loose or any of your headers/manifold bolts are loose. Then find those ports coming off the manifolds/headers and make sure everything is tight and not torn/cracked. If there is a leak it should be easy to find. Good luck.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, ill pull the covers off and check wires and so on. The check valve on the drivers side i cant feel it leaking or hear it at all. I would figure it would be obvious since its out in the open like that. I dont know why they would replace both if the one on the drivers side looks brand new and isnt leaking at all. Ill check all that stuff and see what happens, thanks again.

Quick Reply: 2003 Z06 Smog Pump/Check Valve Tick