Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who knows fuel please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who knows fuel please!

Hey folks, I have an 01 camaro ss 6speed. Does anyone know how i would know if my fuel pump was going bad. Ive heard people take their cars into the dyno and the techs say your fuel pump is going bad. I know i should have more power than i do. I have replaced the plugs and wires, no lights on. Thanks
Old 06-13-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on a dyno they can tell because their car is leaning out in the upper RPM's and they have a hard time maintaining fuel pressure. get a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and see what it sits at throughout the powerband.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by My01chevy
Hey folks, I have an 01 camaro ss 6speed. Does anyone know how i would know if my fuel pump was going bad. Ive heard people take their cars into the dyno and the techs say your fuel pump is going bad. I know i should have more power than i do. I have replaced the plugs and wires, no lights on. Thanks
now what exactly are your mods and how much power do you think is missing? some people throw a few bolt ons on the car and get a dyno and get the result thinking something is wrong when it comes back as 310rwhp or even 300rwhp. these are normal returns.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive got fipk kandn intake, headers, ory, full flowmaster exhaust and a tune by frost. Sometimes it has crisp clear acceleration, other times its awfully held back
Old 06-13-2012, 09:40 PM
Internet Mechanic

Fuel Pressure test hooked up, take car out for a hard drive, while running the car monitor the guage, under a Wide Open Throttle high RPM hit, if it drops more then 3-4 PSI then its the pump.

You need a load on the engine so it wont work at idle, it requires a run. Most good shops have fuel psi hook up to gather data as well.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like they've suggested, check to see what the fuel pressure is doing and when it is doing it.

Also, check to make sure you are getting the proper voltage at the pump assembly head.

Racetronix has a drop-in solution. I'd love to suggest one of ours if you end up needing a pump, but at this time it takes a little work to get DW200/300 in the LS1 F-body assemblies.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

if my ls1 with bolt ons netted me 300-310 on the dyno i would not own an fbody. id be looking for 340-360. 380-410 with cam...more with heads. this is all on 93. just sharing average results for different setups i have seen. these cars make 300's
stock.

my new racetronix pump with hotwire will be coming off soon. ill bet at this point it has not even seen 5 gallons. already installed, and itll come with the bucket. you can have it in the tank in about 2 hours with another set of hands.