Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LSX 402 Callies OR Eagle? Same Quality or NO

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSX 402 Callies OR Eagle? Same Quality or NO

I am rebuilding my LS2 after a rod bearing failure destroyed the crank. I am replacing the whole rotating Assembly with a forged unit and can't decide between the Callies Compstar crank and rods with Wisco or Diamond pistons bought from Texas Speed, Or an Eagles crank and rods with Arias pistons bought through my machinist.

I will be reinstalling The Trick Flow 225 heads and Camshaft, Hydraulic Roller Tappet, Duration @ .050 in. 238/242, Lift .595/.595. This is the Trick Flow LS2 head and cam combo that I installed on the motor before dropping it into my 74 Corvette. It worked really well on the Stock LS2 short block. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TF...ComboContents/

I am looking to end up with some where around 600 HP with the set up, I do not intend to look for or need any more power for this street car, so the HP shouldn't be a factor, but I do intend to run the car hard, as often as I can, so I want it to be bullet proof with in reason.

Any insight on the two brands, what is the better buy for this HP level.

Thanks,
Riggs
Old 06-14-2012, 06:36 AM
10 Second Club

I think either will be fine for your goals. Generally though, I have always had the feeling that Callies was just a little bit better than the Eagle stuff, but that is subjective. Although I just don't see 600 hp in the combo...

Good luck with your build!
Old 06-14-2012, 07:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

At the power level that you will be at (600 at the crank, high 400s at the wheels) any of those brands will be more than fine.

When you start pushing stuff past 6-700 at the wheels is when you would theoretically need the higher quality brand.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Callies finish work is way better. I have a eagle and will not use one again.

Tim
Old 06-14-2012, 09:17 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is what i have found with eagle stuff:
1: rod and main journal poorly machined (raise almost .001" towards the edges of the journal), requiring the crank to be turned, at that point you might as well have bought a callies crank....
2: Pilot bearing recess too large
3: freeze plug in the rear of the crank leaks oil, sometimes randomly..
Old 06-14-2012, 09:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Ryne! The little money you save going to an Eagle crank you can easily spend making journals round, sealing the rear plug, etc! This is why you cannot buy a Texas Speed short-block with an Eagle crankshaft installed!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 06-14-2012, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Agree with Ryne and Matt
Old 06-14-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

x3 on this one.

I have an engine builder who will not order an eagle crank and if you bring him eagle stuff he will hand it back to you.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not to put any brand down but eagle is crap hack and slash !
callies is #1 quality
id even use scat before any eagle stuff, once you have seen and measured all 3 you
will understand as well

hope this helps
Old 06-14-2012, 02:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an Eagle Crank in my 383, no problems yet

Ive heard they don't measure up good but mine was fine, also heard they leak out of the rear plug but mines fine so far....and I have an auto so if it does its not as big of a deal as with a clutch being right there.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Callies is better. Everyone I have spoken to about crankshafts said the same thing.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Thanks Guys for the help, through my research I had found many negative post about Eagle, but none about the Callies brand.
I will be using Callies for the build.

Thanks again,

Riggs
Old 06-14-2012, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
I agree with Ryne! The little money you save going to an Eagle crank you can easily spend making journals round, sealing the rear plug, etc! This is why you cannot buy a Texas Speed short-block with an Eagle crankshaft installed!
Damn if i.wudve known that this happ end i.wudnt have bought one with that crank that yall had in stock back couple yrs ago lol... But no problems yet lol.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:31 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by xdanny510x
Damn if i.wudve known that this happ end i.wudnt have bought one with that crank that yall had in stock back couple yrs ago lol... But no problems yet lol.
The ones we did assemble with the Eagle cranks were fine....they would have either been round, or turned to make them round before assembling. No worries for you. This just makes life easier for us now.

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 06-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Teching In

LMAO!
Eagle would be just fine in your case as well as Scat rods. Its not the coomponents ( at this power level) its the builder and some builders just have fancy machines and no real knowlede of engine building.. but they have a fancy machine.. and spout off like they are an expert or something....LOL
negative comments about eagle are from inexperienced builders and guys who dont have the ability to machine properly and garage hacks

Yes Callies is better, you pay more for it. I would let your builder make your decisions for you, he is the one building it and it will come back on him.

I've seen the plug on a $1250 Callies crank leak as well...
Old 06-15-2012, 11:05 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Has anybody in this thread said the Eagles can't be made to work? Nope. But why go that route and have the extra machine time and cost just to break even with what Callies can do out of the box?

Old 06-15-2012, 11:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Out of all the engines I have had over the years and I have seen and known about the build. I know of 3 eagle cranks that have snapped off the snout on N/A motors. 2 cranks from them were out and had to be turned to get them right. You shouldn't have to turn them new out of the box. I have used Lunati, Callies, and Manley crankshafts with out an issue and all were recommended by 3 different engine builders over the years.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
This is why you cannot buy a Texas Speed short-block with an Eagle crankshaft installed!
This confuses the hell out of me... I can go onto your website right now and get a rotating assembly with an Eagle crank... in fact all the "base prices" are based on the eagle crank... So you either offer it, but dont sell it but still show an advertised price with it... or you do in fact sell it... (granted that is not an assembled short-block, but still seems two sided)

It gets even more confusing when you can find posts like this (though granted, it was from 2008)
Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
We have run both cranks with great success. I think more than anything it comes down to a personal preference and going with a well known product. We run Eagle cranks in probably 70% of the motors we build. We have made over 1200 HP with both and have never had a failure from either one. Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions or what way you decide to go. We have both on the shelf and can get you setup with smokin' deal!

Don't get me wrong, just from "opinion" and found snout failures, it sounds like the callies is a better piece... I was doing searches to confirm, since I have a $600 gift card for amazon, and the only crank on there right now is Eagle... but I felt compelled to point out the confusion in what you are saying, vs what your website shows...
Old 12-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Launching!

I have used Eagle cranks for yrs but always bought there blems that were turned once here in the states. They make them in China where the machining is inferior. Thats the way to go and cheaper if you choose Eagle.

I have heard even some of Callies is now made in China!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:33 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Callies and move on. They are all machined here and the journals are round and straight.

Quick Reply: LSX 402 Callies OR Eagle? Same Quality or NO