Western Members - Barona Drags or "RaceLegal" at Qualcomm?
06-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Based on the website, the Qualcomm and Barona 1/8 mile drag strips are both running tomorrow night (Friday).
I haven't been to either one.
Which track is better?
06-14-2012, 08:35 PM
Hands down Barona. Qualcomm is a basically a parking lot and you will probably not hook even on sticky tires.
06-15-2012, 07:51 AM
barona hands down i wouldnt even call qualcomm a track
Ryne @ CMS
06-15-2012, 08:53 AM
eric, go to barona!
06-15-2012, 09:00 AM
The only cavet with Barona is the D/A can get up into the 3000' mark which will affect your times slightly.
06-15-2012, 01:32 PM
As a native San Diegan I have to chime in here.
- shitty parking lot surface which literally has LESS traction than the street
- short shutdown
- retarded track crew which sometimes puts the water box close to the starting line
- not as strict on the safety requirements
- can get a TON of runs in, literally hotlap your car on some nights
- Way out in BFE
- Strict on NHRA safety rules, your shit better follow the book to a T
- Limited number of runs per night depending on how crowded, sometimes 4-5 max?
- Real track with good surface prep, traction is excellent
- Long shutdown, more than anyone on this forum will ever need (I don't see any 4 second 1/8th mile cars here)
- Food on site
- Bunch of REAL racers there instead of kids with shitbox hondas with stereos that add half a second of E/T
With all that said, I don't think you should rule out Qualcomm. It all depends on how your car is set up and what you're looking for.
If you're tuning your car or just curious how 'fast' it is, all you really need is trap speed. And at Qualcomm I've gotten like 16 passes in one night PACING my self, that's alot of runs to tune or find your best MPH.
On the other hand if you have a 6-7 second car on street tires... qualcomm will be a little ridiculous.
06-15-2012, 01:44 PM
LOL, talk about unanimous!
I'll be at Barona tonight.... Come say whats up if you see me there, I'll be on a red Kawasaki ZX14.
Thanks for the info everyone!
06-15-2012, 01:48 PM
I don't think Barona is anymore strict than Qualcomm but that may be because I use to do Test and Tune 1-2 times per month a Barona. Sometimes I wouldn't even have to tech. He would just write my number down. The other thing to consider, this is what I heard, that you can't swap your tires out at Qualcomm. You have to race with the tires you drove in with. Baraona you can swap your tires out.
06-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Despite the hate, I will probably rolling out to race legal tonight.
06-16-2012, 01:11 AM
- Way out in BFE
Understatement! Hah, Barona was WAYYY out there.
Had a lot of fun, although it was 2 hours driving each way for me.
Took the ZX14 out for the first time, set a new personal best!
Best ET 6.6, best mph 115.6.
06-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Here's the video!