PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

running secondary injectors on stock PCM, will this work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 01:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default running secondary injectors on stock PCM, will this work?

so I had an idea about how to possibly run a set of piggyback injectors using the stock PCM and such, and not sure if it will work or not. say for each injector, you tapped the switched ground signal from the original injector up to the secondary, but then tied the positive feed wire of all of the secondary injectors on something like a window switch or boost switch. this way they will only get power at pre-determined boost or rpm levels, and the pulses will be in time with the injector they are piggybacked off of. I'm sure some creative tuning may be involved in being able to compensate for the sudden increase in fuel supply. but it's just a thought, wanted to put out there and see if anyone had any ideas on it. or if it is already being done
Old 06-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Might get better results in the tuning section >>>>>>>>>>>
Old 06-16-2012, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

not sure how when it was directly a fuel system question? but we can try it
Old 06-17-2012, 03:27 AM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Wont work. The factory injectors are wired that way already. The PCM provides a ground for the injectors and completes the circuit. Wiring a second set would overload the drivers in the PCM. The only way to make that work is to piggy back the signal off the stock injector circuit to an injector driver like the AEM that has it's own control circuit. Doing that though would be just as easy to buy a bigger set of high Z injectors.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u can make another 8 injectors working

check with Lingenfelter
they have their Zo6
i saw it in my eyes 16 injectors
and after some fixing in the car ,, i will tune it in the dyno
Old 06-17-2012, 06:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 221 Likes on 164 Posts

I almost 100% sure they are not running the second 8 injectors on the stock pcm.

Last edited by minytrker; 06-19-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

What ECM/PCM? I'm kinda interested in this now cause two sets of 60s or 80s are cheaper than 120s or 160s haha.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

well to my understanding it just pulses a ground signal and there is no real load there. the power would be provided by the external source. idea was inspired by my friend suggesting me to piggyback a set of factory 36lb injectors from the supercharged 3800 on with my stock injectors on my 5.3 for being able to support boost
Old 06-20-2012, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by badhombre
well to my understanding it just pulses a ground signal and there is no real load there. the power would be provided by the external source. idea was inspired by my friend suggesting me to piggyback a set of factory 36lb injectors from the supercharged 3800 on with my stock injectors on my 5.3 for being able to support boost
IT pulses the ground, which means all the injector current goes through the driver in the PCM...doubling the injectors wired in parallel would cut the resistance of the circuit in half/double the current through the PCM, and blow out the drivers in the PCM. You'd also have some really screwed up calibration data for more than just the flow rate.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm working on something with the cobalts, but will be looking into it for my trans am also.
I know hahn racecraft had something out for a while to control a 2nd set of injectors (non sponsor so no link). it was called the port fueler if you want to look into that, pretty sure it ran off a map signal and had its own tuneable injector map
Old 06-21-2012, 12:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DIY Autotune has or had, haven't looked lately, a driver box for the MegaSquirt to run different injectors. Not a resistor box.
It was only a jumper to make it run high or low Z.
Piggy back that box onto the stock setup and drive as many injectors and boxes as needed. The box only uses the PWM signal and has it's own power cable since the injectors are wired to the box.
All the injectors will have the same PW signal. The transition to the extra injectors is the hard part of tuning.
Use a switch of your choosing to control the signal to the driver box. The LT5 used this scheme from the factory IIRC. If you dig up the wiring diagram you'll see the relay. It had a 4v head so gm used a relay to control an air valve and the respective injector to turn half the induction sys off for low power driving. hmm... I'll have to dig up the ECM program hac for that car and see what they did for the fuel.

You can run high z injectors on low z drivers ok, but not the other way around.
Adding a second set of injectors to a high z driver will over heat the driver and burn it out.

Last edited by TurboS10; 06-21-2012 at 12:24 AM.

Quick Reply: running secondary injectors on stock PCM, will this work?