Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Stock Engine: Valve to Piston Contact :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Stock Engine: Valve to Piston Contact :(

I have a stock engine and did the dreaded 2-3-2 mis-shift. Some valves are bent bad and a few pistons are scored, pushrods are FUBAR. Now, I have an extended warranty with an aftermarket company. The car is at the dealers with the heads off and they are waiting for an adjuster to inspect the damage. The timing chain turned out to be okay (no slack or stretching).

Here is the question: What other than a mis-shift (over rev) or timing chain stretch can cause a condition whereby the valves hit the pistons? I want to attribute the damage to something mechanical rather than my stupidity and driver error

Last edited by LensLS1; 03-31-2004 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LensLS1
I have a stock engine and did the dread 2-3-2 mis-shift. Some valves are bent bad and a few pistons are scored, pushrods are FUBAR. Now, I have an extended warranty with an aftermarket company. The car is at the dealers with the heads off and they are waiting for an adjuster to inspect the damage. The timing chain turned out to be okay (no slack or stretching).

Here is the question: What other than a mis-shift (over rev) or timing chain stretch can cause a condition whereby the valves hit the pistons? I want to attribute the damage to something mechanical rather than my stupidity and driver error
You must have had a hell of a miss-shift to do that much damage. You either took out the valve stems or broke/stretched a few rod bolts. Essentially, its pretty damn dead.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brother did the same on his '00 SS. We replaced the heads and pushrods with new complete heads from Valvegod. We filed down the eyelash/witness marks on the pistons. Ran like a champ.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:22 AM
Restricted User

damn. Thats a good shift there. I would say nothing more mechanical if the timing chain is in good repair.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DenzSS
You must have had a hell of a miss-shift to do that much damage. You either took out the valve stems or broke/stretched a few rod bolts. Essentially, its pretty damn dead.
Thank you for the comforting comment and thanks for answering my question
Old 03-31-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought warranties were to pay for defects in material and workmanship.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry dude, just being honest. Things like this happen to everyone.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
I thought warranties were to pay for defects in material and workmanship.
Yep yep.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Thanks to the generosity of a fellow f-body club member, I already have a replacement engine lined up However, I want the warranty company to pay the bill to diagnose the problem which is now totaling more than $1300. I paid good money for this warranty and now that I have a serious engine problem, I want them to at least pay for some of the damage.

How much slack is allowed in the timing chain exactly? What about the possibility of out of spec lifters, pushrods? Etc? There has to be other possible causes…
Old 03-31-2004, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do you think the insurance adjuster is going to be someone who just fell off a turnip truck? You already know what caused the problem. If you ran your car into a curb, would you expect the warranty co to pay for the repairs?

I have a stock engine and did the dreaded 2-3-2 mis-shift. I want to attribute the damage to something mechanical rather than my stupidity and driver error.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Only two things could cause that damage...mechanical over-rev resulting in valve float or an improperly degreed camshaft resulting in valve-piston contact. The latter of which was obviously not the case.

The bottom line is the damage was done when you missed a shift causing the mechanical over-rev. The stock valve springs can't control the valves past 6200 rpms...this resulted in pistons hitting the valves, etc.

$1300 is a hell of a lot of cash for a diagnosis...that's about 18 hours worth of work...it doesn't take that long to pull a set of heads and see the damage. Maybe 2-3 hours for an experienced mechanic. I think they are ripping you off.

No offense, but since you did the damage yourself, you should be paying to repair it.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Depending on where you shifted, you could have taken the engine to 7500rpm or higher.

You should see what a missed shift does on a blown 4.6L sohc motor. Ford pulls fuel when you hit the rev limiter.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

What does pulling fuel have to do with mechanically over reving the engine?
Old 03-31-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

mechanical over rev + pulling fuel under peak boost with a centrifugal supercharger. I was just stating that it can be a lot worse. Yours might be able to be saved. There was very little left of the 4.6.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DenzSS
mechanical over rev + pulling fuel under peak boost with a centrifugal supercharger. I was just stating that it can be a lot worse. Yours might be able to be saved. There was very little left of the 4.6.

LIL piston meltage?
Old 04-01-2004, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Do you think the insurance adjuster is going to be someone who just fell off a turnip truck? You already know what caused the problem. If you ran your car into a curb, would you expect the warranty co to pay for the repairs?
You **** up.......you pay.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:44 AM
On The Tree

Sorry to hear about your problem. I wish you good luck in getting help with the warranty company. If they do pay anything I say...Good for you!

I have to go to work now....Gotta go warm up the truck....Gotta load of large turnips to deliver! Tell that dude in the back to hang on!

Quick Reply: Help! Stock Engine: Valve to Piston Contact :(